What about those that have tried?

daenvgiell

"If you are reading the Book of Mormon, praying,and going to church, there is no way you are not going to feel the spirit, its just up to you if you want to accept it or not. Jesus is knocking on the door,we just have to open up the door to him."

Ok so I know this is off topic, but I have a question about this. What about the people who do all of those things and feel like they have opened the door, yet still feel like they are not feeling the spirit?

This was posted on a similar post a few weeks ago, I think...

To me, it answers the question pretty clearly about why some people have revelation regarding the truthfulness of the church withheld from them.

President Ezra Taft Benson in a 1972 address quoting Orson F. Whitney from a 1928 general conference address:

Perhaps the Lord needs such men on the outside of His Church to help it along. They are among its auxiliaries, and can do more good for the cause where the Lord has placed them, than anywhere else. … Hence, some are drawn into the fold and receive a testimony of the truth; while others remain unconverted … the beauties and glories of the gospel being veiled temporarily from their view, for a wise purpose. The Lord will open their eyes in His own due time. God is using more than one people for the accomplishment of His great and marvelous work. The Latter-day Saints cannot do it all. It is too vast, too arduous for any one people. … We have no quarrel with the Gentiles. They are our partners in a certain sense.

..."reading the Book of Mormon, praying,and going to church, there is no way you are not going to feel the spirit"

Ok so I know this is off topic, but I have a question about this. What about the people who do all of those things and feel like they have opened the door, yet still feel like they are not feeling the spirit?
I disagree strenuously with that top quote. It misses several components of the actual promise.

Moroni 10:4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

Checkerboy mentioned church, reading, and praying. The scripture mentions receiving, praying in the name of Christ, with a sincere heart, with real intent, and having faith in Christ. That's a much taller order. And that's the true bar someone may need to reach in order to have the promised answer.

LM

So, for the first 30 years of my life, I was Catholic. Devout Roman Catholic. I felt the Spirit, I have a testimony, I was secure in my faith. I met Mormons all thoughout my life, I read the Book of Mormon at 26, nothing. The Spirit still manifests strongly that I remain Catholic.

So, are you then going to tell me that the Spirit was a liar?

Nope. It is now that I am LDS that my testimony is clear on the matter. God put me where He knew I could find my way to Him. The Catholic church was where I learned about Him. It is my foundation. The restored gospel was a precept added to it and my journey is closer to Him.

Without the Catholic church, who knows, I'm probably not gonna make it out of the first precept.

I don't question where God wants me to go. I concentrate on recognizing His voice through the Spirit so that I can follow Him better.

• 2 weeks later...

Daenvgiell, I have found that sometimes when someone does not have a testimony of something, they have to live it first, and then the knowledge comes. Take tithing for example, from the outside looking in it makes no sense to give away 10% of your income...but when you do, the blessings come, somehow they just do.

I would suggest that you bide your time on getting the answer you are expecting, and instead focus on learning one principle at a time and trying it out...like family scripture study, or Sabbath worship, family home evening, fasting, just pick something that is taught that we should do and try it out for a while...give it 6 weeks and see if there is a difference in the feeling of your home. Then pick something else and do it also, look for the difference in your life.

Sometimes the testimony is in the fruits of what we do. If we do good things, there will be good results.

Edited by jayanna

I also did not gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon the first time I read it. I think that for a variety of reasons I was just not ready at that point in my life. The Spirit speaks truth but we are not always capable of processing it at any given time.

Even now, I will read the Book of Mormon and have a passage affect me in a way it never did before. The scriptures didn't change, but something in me changed and allowed for a different or greater understanding.

When I prayed and asked the Lord if the church was true I got a definite answer that it was.

So my wife and I joined.

That was it for around three years, not another hint of anything.

I spent much time wondering if I was not worthy or doing something wrong. Then one day while mopping a floor I got another one very clearly to the point tears were flowing down my face.

I now realize we get them when the Lord intends for us to get them. Sometimes we even get them without knowing we have gotten them. But when he wants us to have it we get it.

Daenvgiell, I have found that sometimes when someone does not have a testimony of something, they have to live it first, and then the knowledge comes. Take tithing for example, from the outside looking in it makes no sense to give away 10% of your income...but when you do, the blessings come, somehow they just do.

I would suggest that you bide your time on getting the answer you are expecting, and instead focus on learning one principle at a time and trying it out...like family scripture study, or Sabbath worship, family home evening, fasting, just pick something that is taught that we should do and try it out for a while...give it 6 weeks and see if there is a difference in the feeling of your home. Then pick something else and do it also, look for the difference in your life.

Sometimes the testimony is in the fruits of what we do. If we do good things, there will be good results.

So what then if I have? I pay my tithing, no questions asked, I read/study my scriptures every day, I pray every day, I keep the word of wisdom, etc etc... I have been doing this for quite some time now.

Maybe I should add that I am a YSA. Living in on the other side of the country to my family, so I feel alone a lot of the time, I've had one of my sisters here with me for this year, but she's been away for a little while at the moment and doesn't get back for another few weeks. (Just thought you should know my situation a little bit as well). I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's hard on my own.

Thankyou for your insights.

Daenvgiell, I remember discussing some time ago that you sounded a bit depressed. If that is still happening, I am wondering if it might be contributing to not feeling the Spirit to your satisfaction.

It is actually hard to feel all alone, even when you are on the other side of Australia from home, when there are so many other people around you. Being as pretty and talented as you are, I imagine there are many there at college who would readily befriend you. Feeling alienated is another matter, and from personal experience, I think this can be directly tied either to a decidedly unfriendly environment or to depression.

Tell us more.

If it's hard to feel alone, then why do I feel alone, I've gone from being one of the only members in high school, to the only member at uni, they teach such different stuff there, it confused me, thankfully I haven't had to do any of their "faith" classes this year. I may have friends at uni, but I also feel like I'm a different person when I'm with them, I still feel like an outsider because I'm different, and this past week I've even wondered what I'm even doing trying to get into the dance industry when what dance requires is almost opposite to what the church teaches, I feel like I can't do both.

I'm also a swimming teacher, I used to love my job, and now I hate it. There are so many things I don't understand about myself anymore, i don't even recognise me anymore.

I feel like all of this has gone off topic...

Yes I've been going to the same Ward since I moved state, I went to a friend awhile ago and talked to her... she met with me once and then never asked about it again, funnily enough I'm seeing her tomorrow to talk to her, lets see what happens this time. Other than that, I haven't talked to anyone, there have been several times where I have wanted to, but I've never worked up the courage since the first time.