Paul's "thorn in the flesh" (2 Corinthians 12:7-10) concerns

Superbaldguy

I have studied this quote many times and have done some research on it, but I am still a bit perplexed and have questions:

(1) Do WE all have this affliction to some degree? Like you, I have a serious weakness which I am struggling with at any given time; despite my best efforts and sincere repentance, I tend to fall back into committing the same sin. I may fall off the horse but am determined to get back in the saddle.

(2) The "thorn" is given to us/me for making sure we stay dependent on the Lord. Does this necessarily have to do totally with sin? Could it be serious health issues or financial woes, or any other societal ill?

(3) Paul describes the "messenger from Satan" in these passages. My confusion is if the Lord allows Satan to intentionally tempt and test us or if there may be some sort of translation error in this passage. I know this congers up the question of agency and that in the Garden of Eden, our hated foe was trying to tempt its inhabitants to transgress. Is the source of ALL temptations from the adversary?

Thoughts?

It is my opinion that not everyone does have a personal "thorn". I believe that the lack of humbling reminder is precisely the "trial" that some must face in this life - to not have a continual reminder of their dependence on the Lord and still be tried to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord commands them. Such is a reason one may give abundant thanks for that which appears to be a weakness, but which makes us strong.

From what I have observed in myself and others, I do believe, "thorns" can be based in mental, physical, spiritual, or a some combination thereof. And they most certainly do not have to be sin-centric. Physical handicaps or speech impediments may comprise the thorn. (Moses and Enoch's lamentations in regards to lack of speech capabilities come to mind as potential thorns for them). Yet for others, constant temptation (Nephi's lamentations come to mind on this one) may be what they view as a "thorn" continually pricking them to remembrance. Clinical depression would be one "thorn" that could be pointed to with physical handicap roots, which is in no way connected with a desire to sin, but which holds a person back, and leads them to dependence on the Lord.

Edited by ryanh

1. We all have weaknesses to help us turn to the Lord. Just not necessarily the same weakness.

2. Could be anything, or combination or series of things, that help us recognize our reliance on Christ to get through this life successfully.

3. The Lord does allow Satan to try or tempt us, refer to Job for example. But not all temptations come from him, some, perhaps many, come from our own fallen mortal condition, seeking after riches, power, pride, vanity, etc.

Just my thoughts.

I think it would be too easy to use the "thorn" excuse for unrepented sins that keep dogging us, repeating them over and over unless you have exhausted all your efforts. I guess that is the crux of the doctrine of grace - knowing when you have done your very best and can do no better, the enabling power of the Atonement can fill in the gaps.

The most common understanding of Paul's thorn in the flesh is that it was a physical affliction. What was Paul's thorn in the flesh?

All that says is that it was probably physical but it doesn't explain why they conclude that. I realize it's a Q&A set-up not a argumentative paper though so it isn't a surprise that it doesn't. Can you explain in your own words why it was probably physical? Or were you just showing us that the thought is out there?

I've always linked that verse to Ether 12:27 myself and figured it for general weaknesses. Of course I don't have any great physical weaknesses so it's possible I'm subcounciously likening the scriptures to myself.

I've often heard that it was probably an eye condition. We also know that Paul was not the smoothest orator. The purpose of the affliction was to help him stay humble and submitted to God. I don't see God allowing demons to harrass his servants long-term, and I doubt that a particular temptation to sin would be one of God's devices. Physical ailmants, on the other hand, are nearly always humbling. Even the simple cold, with our stuffy heads, draining noses, and rough-sounding voices, keep us from feeling on-top and at our best.

You are right, though Dravin, that we simply do not have enough information to say conclusively what the thorn was. You might be interested to know that many who believe in divine healing insist that it could not have been physical, since we have "a right" to healing.

2 Corinthians 12:1 It is not expedient for me doubtless to

glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

2 Corinthians 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years

ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the

body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the

third heaven.

I think this was Paul.

Acts 14:15 And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also

are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye

should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made

heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein:

Acts 14:16 Who in times past suffered all nations to walk in

their own ways

And I believe this happened when some years before,

maybe Fourteen, an event in in one of the cities of Lycaonia caused some to stone him.

Acts 14:19 And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and

Iconium, who persuaded the people, and having stoned Paul, drew

him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.

I believe he was and this is the event he was

shone visions of God and His mysteries.

He did not fully recover I think.

Just a thought.

You are right, though Dravin, that we simply do not have enough information to say conclusively what the thorn was. You might be interested to know that many who believe in divine healing insist that it could not have been physical, since we have "a right" to healing.

I guess the idea is that he saught the Lord, was told no three times and since the Lord never would have decline a physical healing it must be non-physical? I think the great thing about all this is that physical or not it's a great lesson (of course I am heavily influenced by Ether 12:27) that we need to be humble.

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

Every time I read this, I'm convinced Paul had a mission companion he couldn't get along with.

:bouncing::angry:
(the little one's Paul) Edited by mordorbund

It's interesting that Paul asked the Lord three times to remove this weakness.

From what I have been able to gather from study, some weaknesses will always be there to torment us and, more importantly, make us always dependent on the Lord to help us get through life. Does that make the weakness a "thorn"?

There is not a sin or shortcoming that can't be overcome or forgiven (save murder and denying the Holy Ghost), but it appears that all of us cannot in this mortal sphere put behind us EVERYTHING that dogs us, despite our best efforts.

Of course, this is where the Atonement is squarely applied and the enabling power is so desperately needed.

This does not excuse us from stopping to try to better ourselves and we still need to keep up the fight against our demons, the Lord expects us and commands us to do so. If we fall off the horse, we are expected to try to get back up in the saddle and carry on.

Maybe there was some health issues there but i don't tend to think that that was the underlying problem.

There is nothing temporal that is not spiritual.

Joseph Smith was recorded as saying, "I have a subtle devil to deal with."

The new testament also records an interesting verse.. there is a war in our "members".

I don't think it out of the realm of possibility that everyone is given that one subtle devil to deal with.

I have studied this quote many times and have done some research on it, but I am still a bit perplexed and have questions:

(1) Do WE all have this affliction to some degree? Like you, I have a serious weakness which I am struggling with at any given time; despite my best efforts and sincere repentance, I tend to fall back into committing the same sin. I may fall off the horse but am determined to get back in the saddle.

(2) The "thorn" is given to us/me for making sure we stay dependent on the Lord. Does this necessarily have to do totally with sin? Could it be serious health issues or financial woes, or any other societal ill?

(3) Paul describes the "messenger from Satan" in these passages. My confusion is if the Lord allows Satan to intentionally tempt and test us or if there may be some sort of translation error in this passage. I know this congers up the question of agency and that in the Garden of Eden, our hated foe was trying to tempt its inhabitants to transgress. Is the source of ALL temptations from the adversary?

Thoughts?

I would propose that the our earthly, corrupted flesh that we are born with in this life is the thorn, and therefore it is a "thorn in the flesh". I think Paul would be made more aware of this walking around with someone who has a near perfect body, one that can fast for 40 days and can not fall asleep and endure what it did in the garden of Gethsemane. In comparison to that kind of body, we all have "thorny" bodies. There are areas in the brain that are devoted to gluttony, sexual drives, anger, sleep, etc. The natural man is an enemy to God. We all have to learn how to deal with that thorn and put off the natural man and focus on spiritual influences. If we did nothing the natural man would win out. So, the body becomes the thorn that has to constantly, daily, be overcome. It would be nice to walk around with a body that is less driven by Telestial, survival instincts and tendencies.

Excellent comment, my old body is easily seen to me as a big thorn=)

Mortality is all about how we deal with our "natural man" tendencies, isn't it? We will not be given the chance to be free from them all, but we can enjoy a greater spiritual experience during our mortal sojourn if we truly try our best to get better.

• 3 years later...
Guest BaibreBar
Guest BaibreBar
Guest PriomePomiadfs
Hidden

I wish to show some thanks to this writer for bailing me out of this type of dilemma. Just after scouting throughout the online world additionally seeing techniques which are never productive, I was thinking my entire life was standing over. Being alive minus the strategies to the problems you have sorted out by means of your entire short article rrs really a crucial issue, and the ones that might hold in a wrong way affected personalized entire career essentially hadn't discovered the website. The competence as well as a goodness of dealing with all the pieces happened to be invaluable. I'm not sure the thing i would've performed basically had not discovered a really point that fit this description. I am able to at this point look forward to our own potential future. Thank you very much for this reliable and as a result effective help. I won't be reluctant regarding recommend your blog that will anyone who just wants and needs recommendations about this topic.

I precisely had to say thanks once more. I do not know what Really could possibly have taken care of in the absence of the concepts shown by you relating to this concern. It has been a real challenging situation for me, but coming across your skilled fashion buyers dealt with that took for me to weep with contentment. I'm grateful for this assistance and in addition believe we realize what a great job that you are putting in training others through your web page. I am sure you haven't come across all of us.

A lot of thanks for all of the hard work throughout this blog. Betty take interest in engaging in research and it's simple to grasp why is this. Almost all hear all the regarding the compelling ways anyone provide priceless guidelines on the blog and invigorate participation straight from some others on that content while my simple princess is certainly discovering a lot. Enjoy the remaining portion of the year. You're carrying out a glorious placement.

My spouse and i were so ecstatic that Albert managed to complete a analysis from your precious recommendations so he got out of your web pages. It's not at all simplistic to simply always be giving out tactics that many the rest have been selling. We keep in mind we now have the website owner to appreciate for this. Most of the explanations you have made, the simple blog menu, some sort of friendships you give support to engender . it's mostly astonishing, and it's aiding the best child in addition to us imagine that this theme is just satisfying, which is truly indispensable. Many thanks for everything!

I am glad for writing to let shoppers be aware of what a terrific discovery our daughter undergone reading your web site. Woman realized numerous things, which included how it is just as to possess a marvelous coaching character at have the others very easily gain knowledge of chosen complex matters. You truly surpassed readers' desires. Many thanks for imparting these beneficial, dependable, informative not to mention easy guidance on your topic if you want to Ethel.

`

pills

Case solution, Case analysis, Harvard Case Solution - Case Study Solution and Analysis - Case Study Answer - Casestudiessolutions.COM

Guest PriomePomiadfs
Hidden

I must get across the love on your generosity in support of those people that need assistance with in this situation. Your special commitment to getting the message up and down came to be especially practical as well as , have surely enabled those like me to realize personal objectives. The informative publication means this much a person like me in addition , far more to an office colleagues. Thanks a lot; after all of us.

I wish to express my thanks to you for bailing me out of this dilemma. Just after searching through the online world getting views that were truly pleasant, I figured my entire life was standing well over. Living without the answers to the problems you have resolved through your main posting can be critical litigation, as well as ones which might contain badly damaged all of my entire career effortlessly hadn't encountered the website. Your personal mastery in addition , goodness all through playing with every item getting useful. I don't know issues would have sorted out quickly had not come across just what a point this way. It's possible to at this moment look ahead to particular unforeseeable future. Thanks for your time very much for the impressive while results-oriented help. I won't hesitate so that you endorse your web blog which will any person the people that wants and needs recommendations about this topic.

My spouse and i got quite more than happy when Ervin could round up her or his researching because of the ideas that he came across while using the weblog. It's not at all simplistic just to possibly be releasing information and facts other people might have been trying to sell. And we do know we have the blog owner to be grateful to for that. The most important explanations you have made, the straightforward website navigation, how the relationships you will give support to create > it's many astonishing, and it's letting individual young man and the family reckon that this concept is in fact pleasurable, and that is unbelievably indispensable. Many thanks for the whole thing!

I intended toward draft most people one bit of note to help thank you very much again for all the striking views you have shared here. It has been simply extremely generous with you to allow extensively all that a number of us might have sold for an electronic book to end up making some money for their own end, specifically now that most people might have tried it in the event you considered necessary. Those things likewise acted like a good way to be sure that some people have similar passion similar to my personal own to realize a lot more regarding this condition. I think there are a lot more fun situations ahead for individuals who look into your blog.

I simply needed to thank you very much all over again. I am not sure the things My friends and i would've implemented in the absence of the type of tactics revealed on your part regarding that area of interest. It was before a very frustrating concern in my circumstances, but discovering your specialized mode any person solved the issue took my opinion to leap over contentment. Extremely happier for this assistance as well as hope people really know what a powerful job you were doing training people thru your blog post. Probably you've never encountered any of us.

`

case solution

Case solution, Case analysis, Harvard Case Solution - Case Study Solution and Analysis - Case Study Answer - Casestudiessolutions.COM