Fighting Depression w/o medications.

lizinginholland

hi this is kinda of embarrassing and hard for me to tell ya'll but i really do need some help..

I've been fighting depression since Feb. of this year, I thought it was just cause we had a long winter and i had developed some seasonal depression..(after bein in the beautiful cali for christmas) so in that time i recognized it and even though i'm generally against it -i went tanning, and it made me feel better, the heat i dunno it just helped.. anyway i'll give you a really short summary of the past so you can better understand the now..

in 2004, when i was 13/14 we moved from Utah to the Netherlands, i'm the youngest of 7 kids my siblings all live in the states. i've been here since, when i was 18 i decided to be a nanny here, after a year, i enjoyed the experience but decided to move on which was to stay with my sister and get my GED etc.

but then my bosses came with an offer that i couldn't refuse and only go there for 3 months instead, then come back and work for them for one more year.. which i did.

i loved being in the states again, it was so comfortable and felt like home,i felt my independence and loved it! i loved the time i spent there last october to the 1st of jan. i had learned so much over there accomplished so much GED and a lot of other neccissary things..

after coming back to work as a nanny again for another year, after the first month and a half i just couldn't handle it anymore.

it was so cold, and the people annoy me, the kids annoy me, my job annoys me. i know it's just me, but i usually am a very VERY patient person, and caring..

at first i would just be irritable, i thought it was just because the kids had gotten older and are gettin into their teen years..

but then i would just feel sad all the time, for no reason,at least that i am consciencly aware of. this continued even after spring came, throughout that time i would just cry so randomly just feel this utter heavy sadness, i couldn't help it, it was totally out of character for me, i was never like this. even in church i just felt like ''i can't do this anymore, i can't keep tryin to do my best, i will always keep making mistakes, and i'm so tired of it..''

i'm only 20, i shouldn't BE tired. one of the reasons in the first place why i wanted to leave the after the first year is because i got so bored here so fast, i need independence..i wish i would have thought it better through before jumping to take the offer..

in spring we found out my dad has cancer that had a huge effect on me, even though i didn't feel it inside it did have a great effect on me without me realizing it when i started crying out of the blue in front of my boss when he asked, i couldn't control it so i just left the room.

i haven't been sleeping well if i think about it. in the end of july beginning of august my dad had a heart attack, and i have a lot of guilt about that as well for some personal reasons.. i'm sorry i don't feel like mentioning them on here..(i'm grateful i was home the only 3 weeks off i have in the year to be there to take care of him! it was such a great blessing how it all worked out..i mean the timing was great because my mom could take over his work and i could take care of him, it worked out how ever best it could so i am thankful..)

I can't do anything here while i'm waiting for my contract to be over in April.. i can't accomplish anything i have no independence i mean i am living on my own, my parents live in a different city but i live with the family i work for.. i feel like an intruder this isn't my space, i don't just feel that about where i'm working but i feel that about this country and have for a while i mean it will always be a home to me, i've lived and learned here for almost 7 years now and made great life long friend.. but it's not my America, it's not who i am.. it's so hard to explain..

i can't go to school here because of the times i work, i can't get a second job for the same reason, so when the kids are at school i'm just here.. i could go see the city but i'm trying to save for college in Utah when i move back in May,..

i know i could work on my fitness and my health, walk the dog, get a hobby whatever just work on just leaving this place with a bang when it's time for me to, and doing things to get my mind off everything.. i so want to enjoy my time here but.. it seems so un interesting to me right now.... i have no motivation to do it. somedays i have super good motivation to do those things, but days like today, the motivation to exercise and just do anything is gone. i can't get out of it i have no motivation, or concentration to even try and pray, or read a talk to help or anything.. i want to snap out of it. i have before but i can't remember how and i cant .. i dont have strength to right now..

wow this all sounds so woe is me bla bla bla, which is not like me either, but right now i have lost disinterest in so much! so many of my passions (like health) are gone, i have gained 24lbs.. 24! .. Since January. because of stress, and this depression i'm fighting, and just plain missing my family, and worrying about them, besides my parents and my sister, i am the only other active member in my family (church wise) church is usually my motivation and my heart, i love it, i still do, but i feel like i'm barely holding on, and that i'm going to fall, i can't concentrate enough to pray fervently or diligently, and because of this i feel inadequate about EVERYTHING not just spiritually, i mean these lbs haven't helped much either, and being the youngest my sisters have strong opinions of what i should do in my life, i just want to be me, and do what's right for me,.. and i tend to be a people pleaser.. and i hate conflict so i avoid it mostly,.. which is another reason besides keeping my word that i will be staying until april and not leaving any earlier.. if anything i want to keep my integrity about that. and feel a sense of accomplishment when i leave..

ugh right i wish i could better voice my thoughts on here but my mind feels so disorganized and scattered..

Medications i feel are not an option for me.. i want to overcome this myself. or else i would feel like i failed. i know thats not true but that's what it would feel like. also, this is something psychological which i KNOW i can overcome.. but i dont know how to approach it..i know fitness, exercise, positive thoughts, i've looked it all up, everything.. i know i KNOW what i need to do to pull myself out of it i'm just lacking the motivation to do it.. :(

i've gotten blessing(s)? for it before i'm sure, and i know i need to just keep reading my scriptures etc. but like i said, i just lack the motivation..

i need help, i need someone to push me to keep me up to doing these things.. wow.. that sounds so selfish, but i honestly feel like i need a coach.

can anyone help motivate me?.. or... i dont know.. i don't even know if this is appropriate or rude or strange to ask.. but i just need some serious help.

most of my thoughts are things i'm constantly worrying about, Like: is one of the boys gonna be in a bad mood when they get home from school, how can i prevent that, to am i able to go out tonight i dont want to make it inconvinient for my bosses if they have plans, to what i'm going to study when i get back, how i'm going to get my license, how i'm even going to pay for school i'm not even making enough for anything right now as it is, to who's going to take care of my parents, how are they going to keep working and keep everything up when my dad can't work, and my mom's going to burn herself out.. who's going to give them peace?? their kids are all in the states, so are their grandkids, they miss them but they are stayin here because they feel the lord wants them here, (a reason why we moved here in the 1st place) when i know that if they felt their work was done they would move back in a heartbeat to be with the people they love.. i mean granted that's their own trial, and i know God will help them through it..then to, how can i best motivate my siblings to return to christ, i dont want to be alone in whatever kingdom at the last day, and i dont want to see their pain anymore so than i already see it now. then theres when i go back my sisters are gonna be ticked i'm not going to one of them to see their kids, (which i haven;t seen yet because i'm so far away, and they're almost a year old now.. ) i mean don't get me wrong and i value their opinions and thoughts so much but then there's going to be their opinions about what i want to study-- etc.

its just all to much, the pressure of everything is caving in, and i can't handle it.

sorry if this was all disorganized, and scattered.. :S

PLEASE HELP!!

I have chronic pain and with it comes depression at times. The antidepressants make me worse not better. The side effects are horrible.

For the most part I "choose" to find happiness. It usually works. I keep a daily blessings journal. When I find I'm getting to the edge of the black home I look for someone I can help (being of service, doing something for someone who needs help really lifts the black cloud) and I read back over my blessings journal. I ask my husband for a priesthood blessing, if he's not around I ask someone else. I rely on the Lord every day. If I find myself falling into the deep black hole I take an herb called St. John's Wort. Its not a medication but its very effective in helping lift the black cloud. I have read that St. John's Wort is prescribed in Europe before any of the mainstream antidepressants we use here in the USA.

Before you try to treat yourself you should see a doctor. You may have an underlying medical condition you aren't aware of. It could be as simple as a hormone imbalance. You need to find out.

I've read a lot of studies and I worked an an Intake Coordinator in psych for a year. Our thoughts control the chemistry in our brain. If you can focus on the positives even a little bit you can change the chemical balance in your brain and your mood will lift. If it doesn't you need help. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I'm sure there is a clause in your contract about illness.

Talk to your parents. They are there to help you!

Best Wishes

i shouldn't BE tired.

i want to snap out of it.

Medications i feel are not an option for me.. i want to overcome this myself. or else i would feel like i failed.

this is something psychological which i KNOW i can overcome..

i know i need to just keep reading my scriptures etc.

PLEASE HELP!!

Ok, let's do a little experiment. Let's say someone was born with a bone abnormality in their left leg. Through childhood things were ok, but as that teenage growth spurt started happening, problems started showing up. The leg bone wasn't growing like it should - muscles had a hard time attaching to it - that leg is weaker and more prone to injury than the other - and it's interfering with this person's ability to do all the running and moving around and even sitting at a table. If the doctors x-rayed it, they could probably diagnose the problem and a good treatment. This person is very sad they can't move around like they want to.

Now, what would you tell that person? Would you tell them to just snap out of it? That taking medication would mean they've failed? Would you tell them it's something physiological they they should just overcome? Would you tell them they just need to read their scriptures?

It sounds goofy, right? Well, human brains can have similar issues. Sometimes the chemicals are off-balance and the brain doesn't function correctly. Now, I'm not a doctor. But when someone shares a story like you are, about how things that shouldn't be a problem are a problem, well, it's not too difficult to see what ought to happen. If you have some sort of biochemical issue going on in your brain, it's just about as much your fault, as that guy's leg is his fault. See, it's not about fault, it's about how the body part in question functions, and how to get it functioning better.

Here is where the church stands on the subject:

Myths about Mental Illness - By Elder Alexander B. Morrison Of the Seventy Ensign » 2005 » October

Please, for the love of pete, read it. There is no shame in having a leg that brings burdens and problems - that person should do what they can to treat the problem and make life better. There should also be no shame in having a brain that brings burdens - you should do what you can to treat the problem and make life better.

If you're in an area where there's an LDS Social Services, that would be a wonderful place to start. If not, a good Psychiatrist or Psycologist can help you learn what you need to do to handle things. Heck even a Licensed Clinical Social Worker is a good place to start, even though they can't prescribe much.

My wife has a brain that functions differently than it should. She tells me the medication she takes makes it feel like the playing field has been leveled - that she no longer feels like she's wading uphill through ankle-deep mud just to get up in the morning.

Again, I'm not a doctor, but denying yourself a doctor just seems like a bad move to me.

LM

I went through a period of serious depression. I tried to "snap out it"; I tried to put on a smile and look at the bright side of life. I tried to fake it. I tried hiding out from everyone. I tried eating. I tried just letting myself be depressed for a whole day and then give myself a mental shakeup to get out it. I even tried praying and fasting even though I didn't want to. Nothing helped. I have always been the "strong" one in my family, friends, work, etc. So, this seemed so weird for me. But, I recognized that what I was doing wasn't working. So, I sought help.

At some point, you have to realize that you can't do it alone. You can't. In fact, doing it alone will only make it worse. There is absolutely nothing shameful or wrong with seeking professional help, even if that help includes medications. Loudmouth is right--you have brain chemicals that, through no fault of yours, get mixed up. You may need medications or you may not. But, let a professional decide that. You decide to do whatever it takes to get through this, even if that includes doing something that you think is "failing." Because what you are doing right now isn't helping.

Get the help you need. Let others help you. Even Christ Himself received help and strength from others (see Luke 22:43).

While I absolutely agree that depression usually cannot be fully or effectively without medication, and that we ought to take advantage of modern blessings and opportunities afforded us, here are some non-medical suggestions, which are all easier said than done:

• Read up on how diet affects mood and depression. Try altering your diet by ridding it of toxins.
  • Drink lots of water.
  • Surround yourself (as much as possible in your situation) with positive influences, and eliminate negativity.
  • Exercise. Get outside to do it whenever weather permits.
  • Go outside as often as possible, even on gloomy overcast days.
  • Make sure you have a strong network of support. I attended a workshop at a Relief Society activity about a year ago, where the speaker was a licensed therapist, and one thing she suggested to us -- depressed or otherwise -- was to have at least 7 people (friends, family, or both) you feel comfortable confiding in or venting to. Sometimes you really need to talk but can't get a hold of someone. Sometimes you need to talk about a conflict with person A, but you want to talk to someone other than person A about it. Make sure you have a strong net.
  • Read the scriptures. I have found this to be an instant pick-me-up, though not typically (in my experience anyway) a long-term one.
I still second all the comments about medication, though. Is there a specific reason why you feel it's not for you?

Also keep in mind, if you do decide to try medication, that there are a plethora of different anti-depressants on the market, all with different side effects and potencies. If you try one and you don't like it, don't give up on all medications. Try a different one. Under doctor supervision, of course. :)

I'm just going to add anecdotally here:

My wife has found she can usually stave off a depression without medication if she catches it early enough. So it is possible, at least for some people. (She's tried 2 or 3 different meds that didn't really work, and now that we have small children she feels like this isn't the time to be experimenting with new drugs unless it's absolutely necessary.)

But you need to look at your own circumstances, and by all means-yes-keep your doctor informed, and have some close family members checking up on you regularly.

thats true.. thanks everyone.. but i really don't want to go on meds because some part of my mind and feeling knows that i can take control of it.. it's aware of the situation.. its just i guess looking for a way to assess it.. and because i feel like meds would make me become fake.. like make my personality fake.. i dont think i have a chemical imbalance just a ton of things going on.. because if someone says or does something it is possible to cheer me up completely, for example tonight we were takin out the recycling and there was a matress out by the trash and one of the boys i take care of just piped up and said '' i know where you'll be sleepin tonight'' it cracked me up and pulled me quite a bit out of the drag i've been in all day.. but yeah it is still there..i have really good days and then days like today has been...i've always believed i could choose to be happy or not but this.. this does feel like a deformed leg so to speak.. and i dont like it.. :( i'm sorry its really late where i live but i hope ya'll get what i mean..

Perhaps it is just situational depression and anxiety. Perhaps it's not.

The ability to have lighter moments does not fully rule out chemical imbalances. Dysthymia, as opposed to major depressive episodes, does not always create the stereotypical 'can't get out of bed' depression.

Taking medications does not make you "fake", or change your personality. Does taking insulin make a diabetic fake? There is too much misunderstanding of psychotropic medications - they do not change personality. And for those that truly need it, it is not a “cop out”.

Another reason to see a professional beyond seeking out a prescription based solution is to rule out hormonal imbalances.

Given that your funk seems tied to a northern latitude, have you considered full-spectrum lighting therapy? I think you can buy light boxes without a prescription.

Also, consider that happiness, while generated from internal forces more so than external forces, is best achieved with an outward focus, not an inward focus.

“Generally speaking, the most miserable people I know are those who are obsessed with themselves; the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others...By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves.” Gordon B. Hinckley

A couple of things to remember about anti-depressants

1) Most of the time they are not forever drugs. They give you relief to deal with the issues at hand and clears up your mind to be able to learn to cope and develop skills to deal with the problems.

2) Small doses does wonders. Plus there are some meds out there that have few side effects.

I am diagnosed with mild bipolar, mild anxiety and general depression. When I was first given medication, I was out of my mind depressed and acting out in very bad ways. My shrink put me on:

25 mg twice a day of Zoloft

100 mg once a day of Topomax

300 mg twice a day of Welbrutrin XL

It took a few years for me to learn boundaries, relaxation skills, replacing acting out with other things skills, etc. But now I'm on:

150 mg twice a day of Welbrutrin SR

.01 mg Xanax when needed for anxiety attacks (about once every couple of months)

This will be my permanent dosage for the rest of my life. I'm not ashamed of it. Quite contrary, I'm tickled pink that there is this miracle of modern medicine that helps me, an individual, cope with life on the same level as everyone else. But then I'm not a mild case.

What these meds do to me is take my huge mood swings and modulates them down so I can control them better. I still have bad moods, but their not "come over here and let me bludgeon you" bad moods anymore. I still have good days, but their not "let me paint your house because I love you" good days anymore. They also bring me up to the thought and decision making process of an adult, not a 10 year old like before.

I would suggest you first try getting plenty of exercise and read good books. Go out and make sure you have time to do what you like (the good kind, not the sinful kind, unless it's chocolate). Make sure you go out and be with people. And talk to a professional. Doesn't have to be a psychiatrist (the one who dols out meds). Talk to a psychologist who can help you decide whether meds are in the cards for you or not.

You will still be the same lovable self you are. Not some chemical Frankenstein. I still have the same obnoxious/teddy bear (depending on who you are) personality I was born with. It's just a more functional kind.

thats true.. thanks everyone.. but i really don't want to go on meds because some part of my mind and feeling knows that i can take control of it.. it's aware of the situation.. its just i guess looking for a way to assess it.. and because i feel like meds would make me become fake.. like make my personality fake.. i dont think i have a chemical imbalance just a ton of things going on.. because if someone says or does something it is possible to cheer me up completely, for example tonight we were takin out the recycling and there was a matress out by the trash and one of the boys i take care of just piped up and said '' i know where you'll be sleepin tonight'' it cracked me up and pulled me quite a bit out of the drag i've been in all day.. but yeah it is still there..i have really good days and then days like today has been...i've always believed i could choose to be happy or not but this.. this does feel like a deformed leg so to speak.. and i dont like it.. :( i'm sorry its really late where i live but i hope ya'll get what i mean..

Sorry but I feel like interjecting right here.

1. There is no shame in taking medication BUT there are huge risks involved. Do see a doctor, discuss his recommendations with the pharmacist before filling the prescription, Google the suggested medication, then Google the withdraw from the medication. Then pray and ask for guidance on weather to take it or not. I know I am being militant here but when it comes to antidepressants the risks are frequently minimalized while the rewards are usually flaunted in every forum possible. I am not saying this to discourage you, I am just suggesting that you get as much info as you can so you can make an informed decision. Its just like surgery.... it can save your life... but it is a risk.

2. There are different types of depression and they require different courses of treatment. Regardless of what you choose there are two simple things that will improve the effectiveness of treatment. The first is called phototherapy... its a nice fancy way of saying your body needs 20 min of full spectrum natural sunshine every day to produce seratonin (the chemical all those meds are trying to increase anyway). The second thing that will help is RASK (random act of senseless kindness) every day. Don't know why this works but it does. It does not have to be something huge, just something small that makes someone smile. Let someone go ahead of you in line, give some stickers to a child that's driving his mom crazy, give your soda or your leftovers to a panhandler, tell a telemarketer to have a nice day.... the possibilities are endless!

I wish you well,

Liz

BTW, my advice comes from 20 years of severe depression, 5 hospitalizations, PTSD from repeated traumas, and trying everything from faith healing to pharmaceuticals to get better. I have been on Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Welbutrin, Effexor, Effexor XR (big difference and nasty stuff), Luvox... and that's just the synthetic antidepressants! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about a specific substance (natural or synthetic).

Dear Sister, YOu need to talk to someone a professional. As far as medicine goes theres also alternative medical drs. I would check with a dr. whos a md. and also practice alternative methods. Theres lots of good supplements out therethat work . I personally cant remember it all, but after surgery and the side effects from them some one told me about a supplement called cats claw, it worked for me. There were times at work when I would start to cry, for nothing,I was tired as well, this surgery had changed my body went into surigical menopause. Dont forget the LOrd in this. And dont take on too much, baby steps...in all things...(((hug)) I know u can do it!!

Hi,

I don't have loads of experience, I'm not an expert, but your words seem to express the same feelings I had early last year. My life was going great, but I wasn't happy and I kept thinking 'why aren't I happy? I need to pull myself out of this!'

The turning point for me was going to see the doctor - I realised I was in danger of loosing something precious to me and broke down, booked a Dr appointment and told them I wanted help. They talked about my symptoms and gave me a questionaire to fill in, and told me to come back in a week.

By the next week I wasn't feeling as desperate and had changed my mind about the pills and decided I wanted to try exercise first - the Dr told me that in studies, exercise was as effective in treating depression as medication. I'm not sure if that applies to long term, clinical depression as some people have but it certainly worked for me.

The other thing that worked for me was reading about cognitive behavioural therapy. This is the book I read, I'm sure there are others just as good.

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy-Teach-Yourself/dp/1444100890/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285336508&sr=8-1-spell

It really made me realise that I was in control, but that by trying so hard to control my feelings I was building on my depression, and it gave me the tools to change the way I think. I feel fine now, but I still go back to it when I think I'm worying too much, or want to change a habit. My dr reccommended and online CBT program called mind gym, so if you prefer websites to books try that.

So my advice:

1. See a proffesional - don't be worried that they're going to pressure you to take pills you don't want, there's other things to try first.

2. Exercise. This will give you the mental strength you need to 'get over it' - its a biological thing, exercise releases endorphins which make you feel good. 45 minutes 3 or 4times a week - treat it as a prescription

3. You're right, you can pull yourself out of it - but its ok if you need some help to know HOW to pull yourslef out of it.

It will be ok, its not your fault that your having a hard time and its ok to ask for help. Heavenly Father will help you too - my testimony grew enormously as I relied on him to help me through that hard time, he'll help you too.

Let me first echo the words of others that seeking professional help would be a wise course of action. That help could come first in the form of a counselor and not necessarily a medical doctor. I suggest the counselor route first... my opinion of course, and you need to be the one who ultimately and prayerfully makes the decision whose, if any of our various perspectives and thoughts you will follow.

Now, I'm going to depart from the general theme of the majority of the posts given here so far. It is not my intent to discount or dismiss any particular poster's advice, thoughts, opinions or advice. I too, am about to give my own opinion based on my own life experiences... but like the anecdote I've heard many times in the past about taking and giving advice, just because a particular "prescription" works for my "bad vision" doesn't mean that I can just simply give you my glasses and everything will be wonderful for you. We, each of us are different, we come from different life experiences and therefore, each of us require our own unique "prescription" for dealing with whatever ails us... be it a spiritual, emotional, physical or psychological dillema. Finally... my disclaimer... I am not a medical professional. I am not your Bishop, parent, sibling or anyone who is entitled to receive revelation on your behalf. I certainly encourage you to give what I have to say some thought and more importantly prayer.

Ok... here goes.

The first thing that I noticed about your original post is that aside from a very brief mention about needing to read your scriptures more often, I did not see any reference to any kind of church activity, visits with your Bishop, association with other LDS peers (making a big assumption here that you are LDS) or anything having to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This could certainly be the result of your having a difficult time communicating on a forum such as this and you're mind was focused more on getting your symptoms out on the table to all of us in an effort to get some relevant advice. But I am concerned about the absence of things spiritual from your original post.

I also noticed that you made a couple of references to what may be some trauma that has occurred in your life... specifically around that of your father. I understand your reluctance to not share intimate details on a public forum and I applaud you for that. I only offer the advice that you check in with yourself about any events in your early childhood or teenage years where some kind of traumatic event may have occurred for which you have not adequately dealt with. Again, a qualified counselor can help you tremendously with these types of things.

Now, a word about medications. I am fairly new to the forum and no one as yet has heard me voice my opinion in this area, and I hope that the thread does not become derailed as others seek to "correct me" of my "ignorance" or some other such thing. I'm going to speak frankly here... Our western society has become FAR, FAR too reliant upon medications to "solve" or "manage" our illnesses and problems. Are there some valid exceptions to this? Sure. But in my opinion, the medications our society consumes in such vast quantities are pure poison and are causing far worse consequences to our bodies than the supposed relief of symptoms they propose to address. No "disease" has ever been cured by a man-made medication. Man-made medications have yet to prove that they can "cure" anything. They are designed to treat symptoms. The pharmaceutical industry would love nothing more than to convince us all that we need a pill to "fix" us. And if they can convince us that we need that pill for the rest of our lives... even better. At the end of the day, doctors (many, not all) and pharmaceutical firms (all) are in business to make money. If they aren't selling their product, then they go out of business.

I applaud your desire to avoid medications. Even if that desire to avoid is based on nothing more than feeling like "you can take care of this on your own". That very well could be the Spirit speaking to your heart that you need to look within yourself AND IN PARTNERSHIP WITH YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR to find the root of what is causing your depression and to work through it through the process of repentance (if needed), change, spiritual growth, faith and testimony. The Atonment of the Savior is NOT just about overcoming sin. The Savior took upon Himself your infirmities as well. He knows exactly how to succor you and to heal you and to take your hand and guide you. Please, please avoid jumping at the first pill offered you... with all the examples I've heard so far in the previous posts about how a little medication helped their particular situation, I can respond with a greater number of nightmare scenarios where the medication actually made things much, much worse for the individual.

The keys, in my opinion:

1) Seek the Father in earnest prayer. I'm not talking about the mindless recitations of "I'm thankful for this day... please bless me... I'm thankful for the scriptures"... I'm talking about a conversation; a heartfelt no holds barred talk with your Father in Heaven. You can receive no better advice than what you will receive from Him through the Spirit.

2) Reach out to your Bishop. He has the keys and the gift of discernment to offer relevant words of counsel. Don't be afraid to ask him to refer you to a qualified counselor. Whether LDS Social Services has a presence in the area you are in or not, your Bishop most assuredly has at least a few professionals to which he can refer you for help. (Don't let lack of money hold you back either... talk with your Bishop if you feel that you cannot afford counseling.)

3) Reach out to a trusted Priesthood holder for a blessing of healing. The power of the Priesthood is absolutely real and absolutely will make a difference based on your faith and faithfullnes.

4) Based on your Bishop's and/or counselor's recommendations, you may then need to seek qualified medical assistance, which MAY lead to the prescription of medications. I would recommend seeking out holistic, naturopathic resources BEFORE jumping into the medical system conveyor belt that nearly always leads to some "diagnosis" for which medications are "required"... remember... its usually always about the money in the western medical/pharmaceutical world. (Now, you're over in Europe which is a different medical model, however there are still many, many incentives for doctors to write prescriptions over there... so please be careful and most importantly PRAYERFUL.)

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is an amazing thing. It has the power to heal like no other. As YOU take accountability for your own health, spiritual and physical, and offer your heart fully to Him and to the Spirit, I personally believe you will find the answers you seek.

Good luck and may the Lord bless you.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I had my first bout of depression requiring medication (3 weeks to get out of it), about 2 years ago. I haven't relied on drugs since, so here is my advice:

1. Learn what triggers it. Protect yourself from situations that trigger depression so you don't have to deal with the depression at all.

For me, it was some really nasty behavior on the part of some women in my Ward that led to some informal reprimanding from our Bishopric -- totally uncalled for and harshly delivered. Unjustified.

I no longer allow myself to be exposed to situations like that, even if people accuse me of being unforgiving -- it's self-preservation and I allow myself that protection willingly now.

2. Find someting you feel passionate about to occupy your mind. I found solace in music and have started a musical performance act that earns money. Twice a month I'm out performing and doing something I love. Sometimes I feel like I don't want to go, but when I get in front of people, it becomes fun.

I say, find something you're really passionate about and commit to it. It's helped me stay upbeat.

3. Act As If. Smile when you're around people even if you don't feel like smiling. They start to smile back at you and treat you like a happy person. If you look down and in the doldrums, people with weak social skills will walk up to you and say "You look tired; you look depressed, you look sick" etcetera. And that only makes you depressed.

How you act can also drive how you feel, and push you out of the depression.

4. Force yourself to clean up your house and surroundings. A clear desk, clean bathroom, etcetera, can make you feel great for hours on end afterwards.

5. Also, talking to positive, not-harsh people on discussion forums that have a culture of kindness and respect can also be a huge blessing.

So far, so good for me using these techniques.

Depression, like other mental health disorders, is a very real medical issue and in my mind is no different than other illnesses, such as hypertension, cancer or diabetes. I see medications as a blessing from the Lord and have always struggled with members who think that medications are not divine intervention.

There have been some wonderful opinions shared here regarding how anti-depressants can help. Psychotherapy and counseling can also help and I also see these as real blessings from the Lord.

I have had to fight depression without medication for years because I have rarely had health insurance and can't afford to pay out of pocket for the meds. I can tell you that, while I have been mostly successful in my battle (at least, I haven't tried to commit suicide for years), one of the first things I'm going to do the next time I have health insurance is ask my doctor to get me back on medication. Why make things harder on myself than they already are just to try and prove I can do it? That's not what God wants.

I'm anti-medication. I survived 2 post-partum depressions and seasonal anxiety disorder without it. A lot of times, it helps you out but it gives you consequences. My mother-in-law is a zombie right now. She's on meds to fight her depression.

Anyway, try this:

Flamingo - Light Therapy Products

It helped me out.

Also, I went to see a holistic phyician. Diet, exercise, strength of will, lots of support from my husband got me through it. Lots of service too. And yes, the lamp... my savior. I came from the Philippines - 12 hours of sunshine everyday all year long...

I always found an "out." I am a huge sports fan so whenever I would start to feel depressed, I would go outside and kick around a few soccer balls or hit some golf balls to clear my head. I also love to paintball and would go out doing that a few times. I enjoy the outdoors so I would go on four wheeler rides.

Just find your "out." Just take a hobby that you love and do it. It don't even have to cost anything. If it is as simple as read a book, set the environment so that your in a cheerful area. Don't read in your bedroom with the blinds closed and a lamp on, go somewhere else and read, maybe outside.

Hopefully I was of some help.

I probably would have killed a couple people, if not myself too, if I hadn't started on medication for bipolar. It's just something that doesn't and won't ever go away with "positive thoughts" or constant praying etc etc. It just is what it is. You cannot overcome it alone. Seeking help in forms of therapy or medication is not failing. My quality of life is leaps and bounds better because I've chosen to get help. Just something to think about.

I'm anti-medication. I survived 2 post-partum depressions and seasonal anxiety disorder without it. A lot of times, it helps you out but it gives you consequences. My mother-in-law is a zombie right now. She's on meds to fight her depression.

I think it really depends on the meds. When I was on meds I felt GREAT. I had no negative side effects at all. I felt like for the first time in my life I was my real self, instead of feeling like I was fighting through a thick cloud of darkness each and every minute of my life, which is how I feel without meds. For me, generic Depakote worked miracles with no negatives whatsoever. I will go back on it as soon as I can. I want to be the "real me" again.

If your MIL is a zombie, she needs to get off those meds and find meds (or a method without meds) that will work for her. There are so many options, being a zombie is just not necessary.

Just find your "out." Just take a hobby that you love and do it. It don't even have to cost anything. If it is as simple as read a book, set the environment so that your in a cheerful area. Don't read in your bedroom with the blinds closed and a lamp on, go somewhere else and read, maybe outside.

That's so easy to say, but for many of us there is no "out". There is absolutely nothing that works for me every time. I don't have an "out" I can rely on. True depression is a constant or near-constant situation. Your statement of "whenever I feel depressed" tells me that you don't always. For those of us who fight it every second of our lives, it's not so simple as just finding an "out".

Edited by MormonMama

I can agree with many of the comments written here. Exercise helps with seritonin uptake and there is some good research support of light therapy. Counseling helps and of course, turning to the Lord is always helpful. There are side effects from anti-depression medications - -and for some its wrose than others. However, there is a place for medications to help a real medical disease/disorder and they do help some people. All I am suggestings is that anti-depressants can help in cases and can be seen as a blessing from God.