Julie B. Beck - General Relief Society Meeting

The plan of salvation is dependent on our faithfulness.

Myths abound regarding the position of LDS women.

Many sisters believe the myths and not the truth.

The Lord Himself has said this is a day of warning and not a day of many words.

The Purpose of RS is to prepare the daughters of God to have everlasting life.

Unites sisters in defense of His plan.

The sisters of the church should know and learn from the history of the RS.

History of the RS is being completed and will be completed next year.

The Lord’s purpose for the RS is not for a sleepy session on Sunday.

He intended RS to help build his people and prepare them to go to the temple.

We study our history because it unites our sisters.

RS can now be found in over 170 nations

Edited by pam

I'm curious about the history of RS that she said was going to be "available next year". Is it going to be the new manual? Maybe after the two years of Gospel Principles is done? Or is it just going to be like the "Our Heritage" book that is sometimes used as a supplimental material for certain lessons?

I'm really curious and anxious to find out what it ends up looking like and being used for. :)

Serial posting here... :lol:

Also, I got the vibe from her talk (and from her talk last year) that she's really trying to rein in the RS organization and get it more focused on it's original intents. I think bringing everything under the "RS Meeting" umbrella helped bring RS back from being a social outlet, or a "club" for scrapbooking, or knitting, or card making, etc. I see her trying to guide the organization into a more ecclesiastical direction. (serving women's spiritual needs, teaching them their value, and helping them become both more self-reliant, and more service oriented, as the Savior would want us to be.)

I see great things happening with the organization while she's the President. :)

I'm curious about the history of RS that she said was going to be "available next year". Is it going to be the new manual? Maybe after the two years of Gospel Principles is done? Or is it just going to be like the "Our Heritage" book that is sometimes used as a supplimental material for certain lessons?

I'm really curious and anxious to find out what it ends up looking like and being used for. :)

I think it will probably be more like the latter, not an actual manual.

I really enjoyed her talk. I liked her thoughts about getting Relief Society back to its roots.

I did, too. I've had a hard time over the last year with the way my ward has implemented the changes. When a change happens, things always swing from one extreme to another, and while the changes may have been good for the worldwide RS as a whole, they haven't been very good for me (and admittedly, some though not all, of that is my own attitude). Hearing her talk about the impetus behind the changes helped me a little bit.