Hondo by Louis L'Amour

Dr T

I LOVED this book! Hondo by Louis L'Amour is now one of my favorite books of all time! This short book is a little over 200 pages. Hondo, a white man, had a history of living with two Native tribes and he learned of the way of the Apache. He worked for the army and he knew the lay of the land and how to track and not leave signs of his presence. He knew how to survive there. He was distant in his presentation but he was also respectful and he had virtues to share if people were willing to listen. He found a small farm owned by a man, a woman and their young son. This book was all about the classic man, virtuousness and dealings with cruel men, both Indian and White and dealings with the Indians and military. Hondo had the task of teaching the young boy, "Little Warrior," how to live like the Apache. This book was about a quiet strength of the man, love and respect for self and the land. Throughout the book they were in the midst of an Apache uprising against the White man. I thought L'Amour did a splendid job with description of the land, the way to raise a child and how to do things like obtain food in a difficult situation and some violence when needed. I can't say enough about this book. I highly recommend it. It warmed my heart and I can hardly wait for my oldest son to read it as soon as he’s old enough. I will go look for more books from him. I’ve only read Last of the Breed by him and I really enjoyed that book when I was young too. I forgot what a great author he was. As of now, I'd give this book 5 out of 5 stars!

I've only read 2 L'Amour books myself. The Lonesome Gods and Bendigo Shafter. They were both great. I've been wanting to read Education of a Wandering Man for a while now. That's his autobiography, and i've heard good things about it.

Another book that lovers of L'Amour would probably like is The Virginian by Owen Wister. I really liked it. It's a public domain book so you can find it and read it right online.

I've only read 2 L'Amour books myself. The Lonesome Gods and Bendigo Shafter. They were both great. I've been wanting to read Education of a Wandering Man for a while now. That's his autobiography, and i've heard good things about it.

Another book that lovers of L'Amour would probably like is The Virginian by Owen Wister. I really liked it. It's a public domain book so you can find it and read it right online.

Connie if those are the only two you have read you were unusually lucky as they are both in my top ten L'amour books.

Dr T, I give you props for posting such a good selection on these posts. I grew up reading Louis L'amour books and am saddened that the younger generation is not more aware of his works. kudos to both of you.

S T Fin

In my area of Texas Louis L'amour books are very much read by adults and youth alike. We sale at least one book a day and most times more. They are read by both men and women. Books are bought for grandchildren's collection. Since we are a resale shop we get many of his books. Most from collections of people who pass away and their families or those that clean up just see an old book. Others love those "old books". If they have all the pages and they can read them they do not want us to throw them away. We just mend the hurt and put them back. Westerns are getting harder and harder to come by. Many complain that the new writers do not do enough research on history and guns and what those guns can really do. These are good old boys and they do know what they can do. They say Louis L'amour knew what could and could not be done. He knew about the areas that he wrote about. That he was real. :) Yes, a very good read. Can not go too wrong on any of his books.

I think that's what I enjoyed about Hondo. The character felt real, really real to me. Also all the description of the land. It was all laid out in my imagination. :) I picked up 3 more of those books yesterday but lent one to somebody already. I try to keep my son from reading too much violence but as he gets a little older then I'll let him read them. :) There was not too much violence in Hondo but still some.