Blockbuster Video Bankruptcy

HoosierGuy

You mean My Date with Drew?

I get the rest of what you're saying though. It works for your family and your circumstances.

YES THAT ONE!!!!!!! That is one of my family's "only in our family" kind of things... for some reason, we love that crazy adventure.

OH, and let me not forget... Blockbuster has GRANDMASTER: IP MAN! Redbox doesn't. Or at least the Redboxes all over my town! :D

YES THAT ONE!!!!!!! That is one of my family's "only in our family" kind of things... for some reason, we love that crazy adventure.

OH, and let me not forget... Blockbuster has GRANDMASTER: IP MAN! Redbox doesn't. Or at least the Redboxes all over my town! :D

My point of posting that link was to demonstrate that Blockbuster may not be quite as exclusive as you think it is.

I'm not surprised that Redbox doesn't have what you're looking for, though. Its selection isn't very comprehensive.

Was this corporate, or just your store?

From what I personally experienced at multiple stores and hearing from others, this was part of the culture of Blockbuster. Their store managers always treated their customers as if the burden of proving fault for late fees was on the customer. But how does a customer prove that they dropped movies off before the cutoff time when the store does not issue receipts for movies checked in? Especially when the customer would drop the movies through the night drop? Blockbuster was famous for the ploy of not checking their outside drop box before closing, and they would claim that all movies dropped in the night drop were late, even though a customer may have dropped them off hours before the cutoff time. I believe they lost a class-action suit for their practices which were widespread throughout their chain.

From what I personally experienced at multiple stores and hearing from others, this was part of the culture of Blockbuster. Their store managers always treated their customers as if the burden of proving fault for late fees was on the customer. But how does a customer prove that they dropped movies off before the cutoff time when the store does not issue receipts for movies checked in? Especially when the customer would drop the movies through the night drop? Blockbuster was famous for the ploy of not checking their outside drop box before closing, and they would claim that all movies dropped in the night drop were late, even though a customer may have dropped them off hours before the cutoff time. I believe they lost a class-action suit for their practices which were widespread throughout their chain.

That's ridiculous on so many levels.

My point of posting that link was to demonstrate that Blockbuster may not be quite as exclusive as you think it is.

I'm not surprised that Redbox doesn't have what you're looking for, though. Its selection isn't very comprehensive.

That movie isn't that new. Blockbuster still has the edge on (some) new releases, and after the restructuring, they may pull things together. But I suspect that in-demand on cable will overtake rentals. Although Netflix download through a DVR/Wii has potential. Of course, Apple always has something up their sleeves, and who knows what MS might be doing with their XBox technology?

I believe they lost a class-action suit for their practices which were widespread throughout their chain.

I was part of that suit. Basically, members who were charged late fees were given a coupon for a free rental for each late fee from date x to date y. I remember having a pretty big dang handful of free rental coupons. I also remember having to pay late fees on many of my free rentals.

Netflix loves me.

(And my kids too, who are currently watching Spongebob season 2 via Netflix over the Wii)

Guest geraldinesmith88
Hidden

It is sad to know that many businesses nowadays are going bankrupt including blockbuster. I think many business owners should consider the marketing technique Lead Generation. I have heard that the income of many businesses have really increased because the said technique. I am also considering to use lead generation to market my products. I hope lead generation could help my business prosper.

Does Netflix now have any competitors other than those torrent guys on the internet?

Not to my knowledge but now you really don't even need Netflix. If you have On Demand or whatever on your cable system, you usually can rent the videos that come out the same day they're supposed to hit video stores. I'm just wondering when the hammer is gonna drop on movie theatres.

There's nothing like going to the theater though to get the whole sound experience that you just can't always get at home. Unless you own the whole home theater package.

I stopped going to Blockbuster because I couldn't bring my kids in there. Too many videos with bad covers and disgusting magazines at checkout that were at eye level. I did a trial for Netflix and love it! No, I can't get what I want right this second, but it's not hurting me. We don't have cable and at less than $10 a month, my kids can watch a lot of their favorites on instant play and I don't have to worry about them ruining any DVD's when they do that.

There's nothing like going to the theater though to get the whole sound experience that you just can't always get at home. Unless you own the whole home theater package.

There is also the screen and, unless the theater is full of annoying people, the ability to dedicate your focus on enjoying the movie. I find though that due to expense I find few movies that make me want to watch them in the theater.

Pam likes it most if you smuggle in snacks from the outside.

Oh - and I hear she also likes using the handicapped bathroom stall.

LM

[runs and hides]

You forgot how she loves to park in the handicapped spaces as it makes things so much more convenient and she'll be real quick.

Edited by Dravin

Dude, My Date with Drew was a blockbuster exclusive in 2006. It got released to retail stores months later.

There is nothing stopping ANY rental business from buying retail DVDs and then renting them out (yes, that includes Warner Bros DVDs even).

But, the Blockbuster Exclusive version of My Date With Drew has footage that is not found on the retail version. I can't tell you what it is, because I've never seen the retail copy.

This is similar to a lot of the IFC DVDs that are released as Blockbuster Exclusives. They are released to retail later than rental with some footage only found in the Blockbuster version.

That's why a lot of times, Redbox will not have them - it costs them more money per DVD to put them in inventory, which, if the movie is not a huge demand may not be worth carrying.

I stopped going to Blockbuster because I couldn't bring my kids in there. Too many videos with bad covers and disgusting magazines at checkout that were at eye level. I did a trial for Netflix and love it! No, I can't get what I want right this second, but it's not hurting me. We don't have cable and at less than $10 a month, my kids can watch a lot of their favorites on instant play and I don't have to worry about them ruining any DVD's when they do that.

I guess you don't take your kids to Walmart either... :confused:

And then there are those Victoria Secret mannequins and posters at the mall.

You talk in your sleep...

/me listens to the dead silence.

What? Oh...

/me slinks away.

You trying to start some rumor? This was NOT one of the rumors we discussed at dinner. :P