5 items only, the economies shut-down

WyomingEMT

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I agree that I would not kill for pudding; but honestly if you read the Patriots book as I have done it makes me think that maybe i would kill to save the lives of those with me. Many times in the old testament we read of God's people killing. Even today we send soldiers out to do just that. God commands we obey the governing laws and our rulers and this always confused me a bit....I'm torn between a soldier killing the enemy of his country and murder. Bottom line is the same, but I think Intent of the heart enters into it. God will always have a remnant of His people, maybe those that will survive will have a gun but be protected and not have to use it. I pray God gives me His courage and wisdom to hear His voice when and if I am in that situation. It really makes you think though....wishing you and all and very merry CHRISTMAS.

The book Patriots really made me uncomfortable on sooooooooooo many levels. I couldn't put it down! It was liking watching a train wreck... you being an EMT I know you understand that! lol Being a nurse aide you get used to seeing people suffering, but that book felt so real, it scared the heck out of me and I immediately ordered sutures, aspirin and extra dog food. I thought it would be the usual good christians against the bad guys, but it really opened my eyes to the horrors of anarchy. The fact that they were so well prepared was awsome. Although the "training" and sitting outside on "watch" would have killed me .... they were like navy seals! I grew up knowing about survivalists but I really was ignorant. I hope more books like this come out to help us take off our rose colored glasses. Even if only 1% is true GOD HELP US ALL! wishing you a merry christmas and a healthy new year. This week I am pretending all is well! ;-) linda

I read another book (One second after). It drew a grim picture of how people would act when authority breaks down. If you want to see average everyday people and how they will act during an emergency, go to You-tube and type in (meltup) and (The economic collapse). It has footage of the the riots in LA and other parts of OUR country. It's been said that we are 3 meals away from anarchy. The world is getting mighty wicked.

• 3 months later...

Ok, I need a can opener. I came across a "Far Side" cartoon with a man and his wife in there bomb shelter, and bombs are going off above them. The husband and wife are standing with canned goods all around them and no can opener. Its amazing how much stuff we would need to survive, I better stock up on can openers.

Ok, I need a can opener. I came across a "Far Side" cartoon with a man and his wife in there bomb shelter, and bombs are going off above them. The husband and wife are standing with canned goods all around them and no can opener. Its amazing how much stuff we would need to survive, I better stock up on can openers.

Buy a box of P-38s or P-51s, not the airplanes, these: P-38 can opener - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . You can buy them for very cheap and by the box full. That allows you to, either keep a box in the basement, or depending on your food storage set-up store a couple in every box of cans or if you really want to make sure you can tape one to the side or end of ever nth can.

Of course if you can only have just one I'd probably opt for a sturdy model not a P-38/51, but your mention of a can opener brought them to mind.

Interesting question! I guess if you are already somewhat prepared with long term storage dry goods and things that don't spoil....then at the last minute I'd be going for the things that don't keep for many years or my neighbors won't let me have now. After several days of thinking on this my list looks something like this:

As many chicks and chick feed as I could find.

Rolls of chicken wire and lumber and covert my storage shed into a hen house.

A breeding pair of goats.

Car batteries (as many deep cycle as I could get ) recharge with a car alternator attached to a stationary bicycle, or use solar panels or wind mill. Many things can be run off 12 volts including some small refrigerators or many batteries connected together will provide 120 volts.

Fuel of any kind...propane tanks, gasoline, wood, charcoal, Coleman fuel, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

With seed keep in mind you need good top soil for them, so keep several bags of fertile top soil around, just in case you can’t use, or don’t have good top soil, in your garden.

For my 5 things list, here is my book list:

1. A quad scripture set; the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price all in one book.

2. A survival book that tells me what I can, and can’t eat, how to do minor first aid and other survival stuff.

3. An instruction book on how to make a wind, or water powered, generator.

4. An instruction book on how to make hand-carts, plows, simple tools.

5. A journal, so I can record what I, or others did, their successes, and failures, so future generations can learn from them.

If my list has to be items, and not books, then that would be hard, since most everything, including books, wear out, break down, or in a short supply, like oil, ammo, and the like. It always makes me laugh when I see an end-of-the-world movie and people in the movie still treat limited supply things like gas and ammo, as if there still is an infinite amount. So don’t make that mistake, use limited supply things in only an emergency. Just remember, once your out, your out for good.it

Edit: If you do bring books, put them in Ziplock bags, that way they won't get wet.

Edited by rayhale

• 1 month later...

My uncle is old, thus he has been around awhile and knows alot. He found 2 used but not worn out water heaters (gas or electric will work the same). He plumbed them inline with his water heater. he added approx 100 gal of fresh water to his storage. The water is always being refreshed as it flowthrough the two water tanks before it gets to his water heater that heats the water. Approx 150 gallons of clean circulated water.

Edited by WyomingEMT

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

If you all give the distribution of food, and fuel as a means to power the very equipment to run agriculture, humans life on earth is subsidized by petroleum.

Self reliance "pre industrial age way of thinking and doing" is about the only way to survive. It is possible to do it, but you have to find a part of the country with the BEST growing conditions "weather,soil,water" to make it possible.

Remember, the simpler a way to survive, the more likely you will survive any disaster. Simple means just that, less interference from within, or outside issues.

Use the sun for cooking. Use it for heating. Dry your food in solar ovens for winter "dried fruits that do not spoil"

• 2 weeks later...

I can totally understand the guns and ammo for hunting, but I know I could never "defend" my food from a desperate person.

The earth and everything in it are the Lord's; I'm certainly not going to kill or even harm one of His children so I can save my pudding mix and wheat.

Would your perspective change if it went from defending your food from the desperate person, to: now they have your food and intend to rape/harm/murder your family?

1- More water.

2- More batteries.

3- More ammo.

4- More canned fruit.

5- More candy.

Both my wife and I would like to raise a garden and get back to a simpler way of life. Our home sets at 7000 ft, and at that altituted, we have a difficult time growing anything. We depend on food in a can to provide us with our daily bread. Heat and food for a short period of time is our goal. A prolonged period of time like 3 months or longer could create a problem concerning fuel. What do you think?

Would your perspective change if it went from defending your food from the desperate person, to: now they have your food and intend to rape/harm/murder your family?

Going hungry is one thing, rape/murder is another and completely unrelated. As I said before, I have a concealed-carry permit and not a few firearms. I know how and when to use a weapon. This does not include defending my food from a hungry person.

Edited by pam
Comment not necessary

I think there may be a slight difference between allowing someone to take all of your food and allowing someone whose family is starving to share in what you have.

Yes that is accurate. The person who will take your food, would have a high liklihood of moving on to physical action against their victim. A burglary while you are gone is not the same as a home invasion robbery while you are there. Not unrelated to rape and murder.

• 2 months later...

I am going to consider consider that you have lots of food in storage.

1- A very big thick strong Knife for cutting

2- Something that allows you to make fire (windproof matches)

3- Water

4- Plastic bags

5- bleach

If you are lacking in food supplies, then I would recommend:

1- Rice

2- Beans

3- Dehydrated or freeze dried green vegetables

4- Water (Lot's)

5- Dried meats

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom line is this for me:

You're not going anywhere or doing anything without a sure water supply. For the vast majority of us who live in cities that means needing some sort of well-digging equipment, a pump and water storage facility. Not necessarily on the shelves at your local K-Mart.

It's kind of fun I suppose to speculate about total disaster scenarios, but also kind of silly IMHO. In the interrelated world in which we live, only a small minority of us are or even can be self sufficient. If all transport etc etc ends, most of us in cities live so far from our sources of water that our lives would be in danger in only a matter of a few days. All resources would have to be devoted to finding potable water. as soon as possible. Any other speculation about getting TP, guns, or comfort items other than food is ludicrous.