There's no twinkle in his eye - My Mother's Reaction to the Prophet

CommanderSouth

Those were her words in response to the talk from last priesthood session, School thy Feelings O My Brother.

She is a devout pentecostal as I may have shared, and I have hoped if I could get her to watch some of the teachings of President Monson that she may feel the spirit. It seems as though this is the opposite of what happened.

Personally I understand what she is saying, as in a way I feel similar, though to a far less degree. And these things are disheartening as I was hoping to feel uplifited and that my mom might to some degree feel the spirit in a way she may have not before.

I guess it's just going to take more time and chipping away at the rock :)

What do you all think?

Okay, twinkle in the eye is something, in this context, I'd tend to associate with humor or spunkiness. President Monson has plenty of humor and spunk but folks have bad days. Of course, just because President Hinkely and President Monson have/had a twinkle in the eye doesn't make it requirement of a prophet and it isn't something I've associated with feeling the spirit. Though it does certainly add humanity to them as speakers and people.

If you mean something else by twinkle in the eye you are going to have to explain it.

I doubt I'd feel the spirit from Bishop Eddie Long and he's spiritually inspiring and uplifting to millions of people. I think when you're looking at another faith that is not of your own, it's hard to relate sometimes. I'm sure that's what happened.

Okay, twinkle in the eye is something, in this context, I'd tend to associate with humor or spunkiness. President Monson has plenty of humor and spunk but folks have bad days. Of course, just because President Hinkely and President Monson have/had a twinkle in the eye doesn't make it requirement of a prophet and it isn't something I've associated with feeling the spirit. Though it does certainly add humanity to them as speakers and people.

If you mean something else by twinkle in the eye you are going to have to explain it.

I concur, though I think she felt more than just him not being humourous. I pointed out it was a somber talk, but she said it was more than that. She said he felt hollow, but couldn't find the words to elaborate, though she didn't doubt his sincerity.

Pres Monson is not Pres Hinckley is not Pres Benson. Not everyone will respond the same to each prophet, and indeed when you listen to someone from a different religion it sometimes takes a conscious act of will to not raise the defenses and batten down the spiritual hatches :P

She is a devout pentecostal as I may have shared, and I have hoped if I could get her to watch some of the teachings of President Monson that she may feel the spirit. It seems as though this is the opposite of what happened.

What do you all think?

It would be nice if she was willing to do a thorough review of all the old testament prophets, and how hated and despised and killed they sometimes were for their harsh messages. Then she might begin to wonder where she got the idea that prophets should have a 'twinkle in their eye', or where she got the idea that it's ok to dismiss a prophet of the Lord because he doesn't have the personality you'd expect.

I already know where she got those ideas - from somewhere outside of Biblical truth. It would be nice if she understood it too.

LM

Correct me if I am wrong, but "the Moroni promise" is specific to the BoM. We often want what I call a "confirmation in my spirit" about teachers and leaders. However, the only challenge that can safely be given to an investigator is to pray about the truth of the BoM...correct?

It's not the only one, it's just an iconic one. We firmly believe that James 1:5 is valid. In fact on my mission James 1:5 was generally introduced before Moroni's challenge, even if just before. Ran into the idea that God would be angry with them for praying about the Book of Mormon so it kinda preempted such (obviously if they were adamant about the whole thing it's not like you could bludgeon them with it though).

Moroni has the advantage of being specifically about the keystone of our religion and being clearer on the conditions involved.

Edited by Dravin