Marx's Das Kapital: A Biography Books that changed the world by Francis Wheen

Dr T

Marx's Das Kapital: A Biography Books that changed the world by Francis Wheen is a little book under 150 pages. I checked this book out of the library and I really enjoyed it. I’m sure it sounds dull to many. While I’m not an economist I thought since we are going through a troubled economy at present, this book would be worthwhile to read. I’ve read The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx but that was the only translated original work of his that I’ve read. This book was by Francis Wheen who did an excellent job. I really appreciated his writing style. He made it very entertaining and informative. From the early days in Marx’s life, illnesses in his home, growing up poor, his veracious reading and intelligence (at least that’s what I got out of reading this book), his interaction with Friedrich Engels, Engles’ criticism of his writing, and after translation of the original Das Kapital how it was read, interpreted and used by other countries. Wheen, for me, did an excellent job with his critique of the book and some of the ideas in it, and how other economist's ideas on the subject. It appeared that Wheen is a Marx fan and he gives a challenge to people in the modern age to take up where Marx left off and see what they can make of his ideas. I am an American and I love my country but I really do wonder about humanity, the greed and prices continuing to rise an ask myself, “How can this continue?” a lot. I’m sure it has something to do with supply and demand and the public keeping the prices down but so far I don’t see that panning out. I do not think, as Marx posits, that the Capital system will crash on its self and the Proletariat or working class will rise up. Maybe what we are currently seeing is all about that happening. I do like how Wheen help up the idea of production. Anyway, if any of you want to read this book and talk to me about it, I’d be happy to. I’d give this book 4 stars-it was great. Even though I prefer to base my thoughts on original sources rather than somebody else’s thought, I do not want to read 1000 pages of Marx’s magnum opus. Wheen said that Engels’ had too many critical comments about the writing, the difficult concepts and Marx’s lame excuse in his work basically saying, “It’s up to the reader to get the words and concepts” and he refused to break it down. I’m also thankful that I grew up in the United States of America where we can study this stuff openly. Thank God for America! Edited by Dr T
had to fix a letter

Hello and thank you Volgadon. What is it you loathe about Marx's ideas. I appreciated Marx's thought on the economic factors and work force. I'd be interested in hearing your thought on his ideas. Thank you sir. :) I will watch the Link you gave in a little while. Thank you again.

Reading The Manifesto of the Communist Party (the only thing i've read so far on Marxist ideas) to me was very frustrating. To me it seemed like a lot of assertion with little to no substantiation. Nor did he treat seriously many of the objections of Communism. In fact, at one point he says, “The charges against Communism made from a religious, a philosophical, and, generally, from an ideological standpoint are not deserving of serious examination.” Seriously very disappointing. He ignores how capitalism has helped society and gives no substantiation to his claims of what capitalists supposedly believe.

Sin. People refusing to care for one another as Christ commanded. Then people like Marx can come in and say "look how corrupt the system is" and try to fix the system rather than "look how corrupt the people have become" and try to teach the people as Christ did.

Someone who is completely and utterly incapable of sinning would not be free. That is assuming i am understanding what you mean by "can never sin" and "free." If i'm not please let me know.

First, that is a completely impossible scenario in our world. But for speculations sake let's take a look. The

only way i can think that this scenario would be possible was if there was no such thing as sin. This would also mean there was no law, for there cannot be sin without law to break. Also if there's no law there can be no righteousness because there would be no law to obey. In other words, we would have no choice whatsoever. Without choice there is no freedom.

We, however, live in a world governed by law. When we choose to break that law we are sinning. A major result of sin is loss of freedom. Hence it's better to teach people about repentance and faith in God's grace as the path to freedom and let them choose for themselves whether they want freedom or not. If they choose sin over freedom, then any form of government or economy is going to become corrupt.