Ok now what

pooter1

I know ive posted about my son before but I need more advice. In his patriarachal blessing it says he will serve a mission.He called me two days ago and told me right now he doesn't want to go. Is the rest of his patriarchal blessing deleted if he doesn't go on his mission ? Can he still get other blessings if he doesn't go?

I don't believe that all is lost if a young man decides not to serve a mission. Maybe he needs a little time. Maybe he knows he isn't ready. Maybe he needs to make this choice right now. I firmly believe that God still works with us even though we make alternate choices.

Don't worry. Pray for him. Hand him the reigns to his life and the rest to God. I know many who didn't serve who are now excellent fathers and priesthood leaders and humble servants of God.

A Patriarichal Blessing is predicated upon our obedience, and is only a small slice of what he may become. He may still obtain all the other blessings if he chooses the right path now, or later in life. The worst thing you could do is try to force him to do something he doesn't want to do, that's how Satan wanted to do things.

As far as pressuring him.I will not.Ive told him he does whatever he wants to do. We had a family in our Stake who's son killed himself the day before he was suppose to get on the plane for his mission. When it happened I remember thinking my children will decide for themselves,there will never be any kind of pressure from me or their dad.

Thing is unless the partriachal blessing states mortality that mission can be any time in eternity. It may be the Lord uses him in ways you don't know. Have you had a blessing about this?

My husband went on his mission at 19, but it is not the mission laid out in his patriachal blessing.

Maybe your right.He is still young.Maybe he just needs time.I just worry that God will punish him if he doesn't go.

That's... Not really the way God works. His actions will have natural consequences. The will perhaps be good or perhaps bad. But he will not be smote with lightning bolts for not going. That's kind of the point of this life.

Disclaimer: I do not speak for the almighty and will take no responsibility if he does, in fact, get smote with lightning bolts.

We had a family in our Stake who's son killed himself the day before he was suppose to get on the plane for his mission. When it happened I remember thinking my children will decide for themselves,there will never be any kind of pressure from me or their dad.

I want to make sure I understand here. You think if you urge your kid to go on a mission, he might buckle and kill himself from the pressure? I mean, I can understand not wanting to apply overbearing pressure - forcing a kid to do anything is usually not a good way to get their buy-in. But you didn't say 'overbearing pressure', you said 'any kind of pressure'.

I'm interested - I thought it was part of a parent's job to urge their kid to do good things. Really? You never urge him to go on a mission? Ever?

Maybe your right.He is still young.Maybe he just needs time.I just worry that God will punish him if he doesn't go.

What if God DID punish him? What would that look like? be like? Would it be the act of a ruthless, justice-crazed dictator? Or the intervention of a kind and perfect parent?

When I was younger, like 14 or so, I used to think of God this way. When I got my P-blessing, I was pretty sure God would condemn me. Why? I don't know.

Now I see God so very differently. He feels more like a perfect parent....or someone I absolutely trust to deal with me in what ever way I may need. And I have struggled with spiritual things and even uncharacteristically pushed the boundaries. I can't recall any time where God was "punishing" me. Rather he gave me room to struggle. And yeah, I have had pain. But even the pain and the justice filled parts were filled with grace and patience.

I don't know. Trust God. Trust Him with your son. And, trust your son too. Teach him the truth...and tell him that you trust him to find his way.

Yes I have taught him about going on a mission but I have heard some parents TELL their children" You WILL go on a mission" I never did that. I even heard a missionary say that they went on their mission because their dad said he would get a new car when he came home if he did. Thanks for all the replies.Im so thankful for other opinions besides my own.

There was an Elder in my Mission in Texas, who lived solely on rice and put his stipend into a seperate savings account. This was so he could buy a car when he got off his mission. Another who was promised things when he got home. Neither of them made very good missionaries. For your son to be the most effective, he has to want to be there, of his own will and choice. Otherwise he does the Lord a disservice.