Elder Packer's Remarks at Conference & Protest: Editorial Must Read

Karen

You've surely heard the stir around Elder Packer's sound and compelling remarks about the sanctity of heterosexual marriage at the Sunday session of our recent 180th General Conference. You've read about the silent protest on Temple Square.. Well, there's a great editorial that just came out in the Deseret News about this.. Check it out and share it with those who may be interested.

Here's an intro to the Editorial with a link to it...

Elder Boyd K Packer, current president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, respectfully dealt with the issue of same-sex marriage in a Sunday General Conference address to members and to the world. While unapologetically declaring, as an apostle of Jesus Christ in our day, that while some might say that tendencies toward gay lifestyles are forever fixed and unchangeable (“pre-set and cannot be overcome”), that very assertion is counter anything the Lord would construct.

In their hour of protest, a group of the gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender community created a visual image of death and suicide--as a claimed commentary and call to the church to change their position, and/or recognize its impact. What is implicit in this protest is a clear case of false attribution--a media tactic and deliberate attempt to equate two mis-identified events as causal--in this case, the position of an ecclesiastical organization proclaiming the sanctity of heterosexual marriage, with the tragic, grievous deaths of youth struggling with same-gender attraction. Connecting these two causally is incorrect and injurious on many levels and raises the following question: If any church’s position is indeed a Biblical one, and speaks out against homosexuality, then does that mean that any tragedies that result from those who violate the Biblical or divine standard are due to the one who delivers that Biblical or scriptural or ecclesiastical message? Or, one step further, is God held accountable for raising the standard? Clearly not, though the GLTB community, in this case, has made it seem so. This is both unsettling and inappropriate, as this Editorial aptly pinpoints (Intro from the MGF blog)...

Thanks all.

I didn't see anything about the editorial in that link....

Is this the one it is supposed to refer to?

A call for civility following Mormon Apostle Boyd K. Packer’s address | Deseret News

And would this be the other page?

Mormon Apostle Boyd K. Packer Affirms Heterosexual Marriage | More Good Foundation Blog

Edited by WindRiver

In their hour of protest, a group of the gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender community created a visual image of death and suicide--as a claimed commentary and call to the church to change their position, and/or recognize its impact. What is implicit in this protest is a clear case of false attribution--a media tactic and deliberate attempt to equate two mis-identified events as causal--in this case, the position of an ecclesiastical organization proclaiming the sanctity of heterosexual marriage, with the tragic, grievous deaths of youth struggling with same-gender attraction. Connecting these two causally is incorrect and injurious on many levels and raises the following question:

I'm confused. The Church thinks the protest was about the marriage comments?

You've surely heard the stir around Elder Packer's sound and compelling remarks about the sanctity of heterosexual marriage at the Sunday session of our recent 180th General Conference.

Elder Boyd K Packer, current president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, respectfully dealt with the issue of same-sex marriage in a Sunday General Conference address to members and to the world. While unapologetically declaring, as an apostle of Jesus Christ in our day, that while some might say that tendencies toward gay lifestyles are forever fixed and unchangeable (“pre-set and cannot be overcome”), that very assertion is counter anything the Lord would construct.

I feel vindicated.

I remember the condemnation my posts received for my strong condemnation of homosexuality, my belief that homosexuals are not born that way, that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation, etc. Although Elder Packer's remarks were expressed with greater diplomacy than I use in expressing my views, the apostle's remarks are very much in keeping with the remarks I made that generated a firestorm of condemnation by many on this board.

When I supported my belief that homosexuals are not born that way by referring to the teachings of then President of the Church Spencer W. Kimball many had reasons (such as advances in scientific research) to cast aside those teachings. We now have the President of the Quorum of the Twelve again saying homosexuality can be overcome. I continue to assert that the answers to questions regarding homosexuality are found in gospel teachings--and are not something to be determined and/or refuted by scientific research and theory, "political correctness" within and without the Church, etc.

Once again, as I have previously posted: The teachings of the living and dead apostles and prophets of the Lord Jesus Christ are (1) that homosexuality is a grievous sin and (2) that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation. Let none by lead astray by the doctrines of men.

Edited by Daniel2020

I feel vindicated.

I remember the condemnation my posts received for saying gays were not born gay, etc. Elder Packer's remarks are very much in keeping with the remarks I made that generated a firestorm of condemnation by many on this board.

Except his remarks didn't say that gays can't be born gay. His comments were that they can't be born with something they can't control. There is a big difference.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

You've surely heard the stir around Elder Packer's sound and compelling remarks about the sanctity of heterosexual marriage at the Sunday session of our recent 180th General Conference.

I feel vindicated.

I remember the condemnation my posts received for my strong condemnation of homosexuality as a sin, for saying gays were not born gay, that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation, etc. Although the apostle remarks were made with more diplomacy than I tend to use when expressing my views, Elder Packer's remarks are very much in keeping with the remarks I made that generated a firestorm of condemnation by many on this board.

When I supported by position that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation by citing the teachings of then President of the Church Spencer W. Kimball many on this board wanted to discard those teachings (by citing new scientific research, etc.). I continue to assert that the answers to questions regarding homosexuality are found in gospel teachings--and are not determined and/or refuted by scientific research/theory, "political correctness" within and without the Church, etc.

As I have previously posted: The teachings of the living and dead apostles and prophets of the Lord Jesus Christ are (1) that homosexuality is a grievous sin and (2) that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation.

Edited by Daniel2020
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I feel vindicated.

I remember the condemnation my posts received for my strong condemnation of homosexuality as a sin, for saying gays were not born gay, that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation, etc. Although the apostle remarks were made with more diplomacy than I tend to use when expressing my views, Elder Packer's remarks are very much in keeping with the remarks I made that generated a firestorm of condemnation by many on this board.

When I supported by position that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation by citing the teachings of then President of the Church Spencer W. Kimball many on this board wanted to discard those teachings (by citing new scientific research, etc.). I continue to assert that the answers to questions regarding homosexuality are found in gospel teachings--and are not determined and/or refuted by scientific research/theory, "political correctness" within and without the Church, etc.

As I have previously posted: The teachings of the living and dead apostles and prophets of the Lord Jesus Christ are (1) that homosexuality is a grievous sin and (2) that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation.

Edited by Daniel2020

Once again, as I have previously posted: The teachings of the living and dead apostles and prophets of the Lord are that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation. Let none by lead astray by the doctrines of men.

Actually many in the church haven't been preaching change, including the leaders. The past decade or more has focused on control vs change. Even the church it's self has said that less than 25% of their attempts at changing people work, and it's much healthier over all to preach celibacy vs change. All the below links mention control vs change. All delivered by members in good standing and one has been held as the official stance of the church for over a decade. Also being homosexual is not grievous in any way as ALL leaders have pointed out currently it's only those who act on their desires that are committing a sin.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Helping Those Who Struggle with Same-Gender Attraction

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Same-Gender Attraction

Newsroom - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Edited by Soulsearcher

ALL leaders have pointed out currently it's only those who act on their desires that are committing a sin.

Why are you trying to misrepresent my position? Do you think I believe a virgin loses her virginity through lustful thoughts? By definition a homosexual is a person who has engaged in a homosexual act. (And a repentant homosexual is a person who has confessed and forsaken his/her homosexual activity--it can be done.)

It seems to me there is much to be said in following the counsel given in the verse we often sing in preparing to partake of the sacrament that says, Let your hearts and hands be clean and pure. Also, there's a lot of wisdom in the teaching: As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.

Do you think the Lord wants us entertaining lustful thoughts--homosexual or heterosexual--even if we don't act on them. I don't and consequently I don't give homosexuals a "pass" for having homosexual thoughts they don't act on.

Edited by Daniel2020

Why are you trying to misrepresent my position? Do you think I believe a virgin loses her virginity through lustful thoughts?

Do you think it good and proper for a person to entrain homosexual thoughts? If so it might be wise to ponder on: As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.

Not misrepresenting anything, I'm quoting you're own leaders, multiple times. They focus on the sin, not the desire. Now not all desires are equal to lust. I can be attracted to someone and not lust after them. There is a difference and it's a very important difference.

ALL [Church] leaders have pointed out currently it's only those who act on their desires that are committing a sin.

Do you think they'd tell a homosexual/embryonic homosexual it's OK to entertain homosexual thoughts if they aren't acted upon? I think not. Edited by Daniel2020

we already have a thread on the conference and the protest going on. can only handle so many conversations on the same topic. yes i know they are long but i suggest you familiarize yourself with them and then join those threads once you have caught up on those discussions.

thanks, thread closed.