The Way of Kings

mikbone

I just read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (who happens to be LDS).

It was one of the best books I have read in the SciFi / Fantasy genre. Apparently, it is the first book in a series of 10 total books. I'm so stoked!

He managed to spice the story with some LDS doctrine here and there.

The main character is loaded with Christ imagery, honor, sacrifice, duty, power, etc.

I'm a huge Sanderson fan. The only books of his I haven't read are the 3rd Alcatraz book and his last Wheel of Time book (because I haven't read books 2-11 of wheel of time first). I actually scored a copy of The Way of Kings before it was officially released due to an error at my local bookstore. Finished it last week.

The book is indeed brilliant. It is definitely a beginning and leaves a LOT unanswered. I recommend it to all who like fantasy. This could easily become the next great epic like The Wheel of Time.

My only complaint is that I now have to wait until fall 2012 at the earliest for book 2.

I just got into Sanderson because he was selected to finish the Wheel of Time series. I read Elantris and LOVED it. I also like the direction he's taking WoT because it seems like he is moving the characters at a faster pace than Jordan. Have only read the free chapters of Way of Kings online but what I have read of it seems intriguing and I'm excited to start reading them.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I’m only about 1/3 of the way through, but it’s very interesting so far. I love how the world building is interwoven into the story. You just get a little piece of the puzzle at a time. It’s both frustrating and intriguing. That seems fairly typical of Sanderson’s style (not that I’ve read a whole lot of his stuff, but it seems to be).

On 10/15/2010 at 11:18 PM, mikbone said:

The main character is loaded with Christ imagery, honor, sacrifice, duty, power, etc.

I am assuming that you mean Kaladin as the main character. It switches perspective so much, but there does seem to be more about him so far. I can see that, though. There are some cool similarities.

I'm really liking Dalinar so far. He seems to have a few similarities with Joseph Smith.