Jacob 3:7

pam

Reference Search: Jacob 3:7

7 Behold, their husbands love their wives, and their wives love their husbands; and their husbands and their wives love their children; and their unbelief and their hatred towards you is because of the iniquity of their fathers; wherefore, how much better are you than they, in the sight of your great Creator?

Quote for Discussion

“Husbands love wives—wives love husbands”

The way we treat our wives could well have the greatest impact on the character of our sons. If a father is guilty of inflicting verbal or physical abuse in any degree on his companion, his sons will resent him for it, perhaps even despise him for it. But interestingly enough, when they are grown and marry, they are likely to follow the same patter of abuse with their wives. There is an urgent need in our society for fathers who respect their wives and gtreat them with sweet, tender love.

Recently, I heard of a father who foolishly called his beautiful, intelligent wife “stupid” and “dumb” in a most degrading manner for some small mistake she innocently made. The children listened, embarrassed and frightened for their mother. She was belittled in front of those that she loved most. Although an apology and forgiveness were expressed, there still remained the hurt and shame of a senseless moment.

The Spirit of the Lord cannot be expected to bless our lives if we persist in being angry, callous, and cruel to our mates. We cannot expect our sons to develop respect and gentlesness toward their mothers if we do not provide them a proper example. President David O. McKay said, “The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” (quoted from Theodore Hesburgh, Reader’s Digest, Jan. 1963, 25; in Richard Evans’ Quote Book [1971], 11).

F. Melvin Hammond, in Conference Report, Oct. 2002 [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2002], 107

The way we treat our wives could well have the greatest impact on the character of our sons.

This is interesting. I might also add how the way we treat our wives might have as great or greater effect on our daughters. I recently read What a Difference a Daddy Makes by Kevin Leman. Throughout the book, he argues that one of the most important sources of strength for our girls to learn how to properly interact with men is what they see in their father. It is important to remember that, as parents, we can have a profound influence on our children's lives. We should be diligent in trying to make the most of that influence.

An interesting thing I see in this verse is how Jacob compares the "evil, wicked" Lamanites to the "good, righteous" Nephites. In this aspect, the Lamanites seem more righteous than the Nephites of Jacob's time.

(BTW, I don't see a lot of responses to these scripture threads. As a newbie, I hope I'm not violating some forum rule by responding here.)

(BTW, I don't see a lot of responses to these scripture threads. As a newbie, I hope I'm not violating some forum rule by responding here.)

Oh absolutely not. It's true they are hardly ever responded to. But please feel free whenever you want. I actually learn from the responses and have appreciated when you post.

I post these so that anyone reading the Book of Mormon might have a better understanding of the passages.

Jacob is brilliant and probably one of my favorite books in the Book of Mormon.