Honey in a can

WyomingEMT

My dad gave me all his honey that has been stored for 30+ years in his basement by the furnace. The Honey is in metal cans approx five gallon size and is starting to oozz from the top. Does anyone know what I need to do with this honey to salvage it. did'nt they find honey still good in the pyrimids? Wonder if there honey was oozzing too.

When grandma died, we busted into her 30+ yr old five gallon can of honey. About half of it had crystalized, the other half was still honey.

If it's oozing, maybe you want to open it, salvage the good stuff by putting it in jars or whatever. I would guess it would be a good idea to boil the heck out of it before you taste any.

They found 5000 yr old honey, yes. It had turned black, and I can't find a single source of someone tasting it.

i have always been told that sugar and honey are the only things that will never go bad... unless contaminated. even if it crystallizes it's still good, just boil it to a liquid again. i'm not sure why it would ooze from a properly sealed can. i would check it for contamination but other than that in theory it should still be good.

Honey Storage Tips (look at the shelf life part too, that has info on the stuff found in the tombs)

i don't know how much you have but i would be tempted to just open it up (at least one can), see if it's been contaminated, taste it, etc. see if it's worth keeping. has it been filtered? it may be the wax at the bottom in which case i would strain the honey off the top and toss the wax (or if you are really handy i guess you could use it for something). if it's good but starting to crystallize you can heat it in smaller batches on the stove then re pack it in glass jars. from what i've read you don't have to heat the jars or anything for special storing. as long as it's not contaminated it won't go bad, no need for a preserving process. just keep it clean.

but that's my really really armature thought. lol

I would be worried about the honey oozing out the top of the can if it had been canned. Honey actually contains the botulism toxin (Clostridium botulinum) and if not handled correctly can cause problems (which is also why you don't feed children under 2 honey, they don't have the enzymes to deal with it).

Also, when we moved some of the food storage at my mom's place we came across some honey that had "shrunk" to half the size of the plastic container it had been sealed in. When we opened it, it was all dark and smelled really bad. After consulting our local beekeeper, we found out that honey can sometimes get a fungus in it that spoils the honey so we had to throw it out. I guess if you get it hot enough (ie: actually boil it) you could kill the fungus but I wouldn't want to eat it, even if it was dead. I also don't like mushrooms. :) No fungi for me. :)

• 5 weeks later...