Worst book you have ever read

Mute

I had the pleasure of reading a book titled "Ender's Game". In my opinion, the book was great and I couldn't seem to put it down till I finished it. The book takes place some 70 years after a first war with an insect like alien race. The humans barely won. Now the government takes children from near birth to train them to be soldiers for when the aliens come again. The main character in the story is a young boy named Ender.

I then found out there were around 12 books in the series. I decided to read the next book "Speaker for the Dead". If you thought George Lucas went off the deep end with 3 new Star Wars movies, this guy did a whole lot worse. The sequel consists of Ender going to another world with a new race consisting of little pigs that stand on their hind legs. To show respect and honor to the pigs which are outstanding in their tribe, the pigs eviscerate them while they're still alive and then plant a tree inside their opened up body. The pig then becomes the tree. I honestly thought the guy was on drugs when I started reading this. Some how I managed to read this entire book and the next one in the series.

Despite how horrible that book was, I still had hope that the next one would some how change it. I was wrong. The next book is named "Xenocide" and consisted of page after page after page after page after page after page of a little girl tracing floor tiles or wood grain lines. Yes you heard correctly. FLOOR TILES and WOOD GRAIN LINES! Why did she do this? To please the Gods she was supposably hearing. There are pages upon pages of others doing similar things too. Then you find out later the Gods are not even real and this act was simply a obsessive-compulsive disorder designed by the government to control that world's loyalty. This doesn't make it anymore interesting to read when you find that out. I tried to read parts of this book to my friends to show them how bad it was. They threatened to attack me if I didn't put the book down. That's how bad it is.

The only reason I finished that book was because I don't like to leave things half finished. I honestly think that book would be a good substitute for water boarding or any other form of torture people want to use. That's how honestly horrible the book is. It made me physically and literally sick to read it. I would have thought the guy would be out of ides but some how he's managed to write NINE more books in the series. I have no idea how he wrote that many. I think this guy has some serious issues. Someone needs to take the pen and paper away from this guy immediately!

Anyways, I thought I'd share that to help prevent others from experiencing my pain. I still recommend reading Ender's Game. Feel free to share the worst book you've read.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually enjoy Pride and Prejudice (and I'm male! Go figure.)

I thought Metamorphasis (the one where the kid wakes up and finds he's a cockroach, and then his dad throws an apple at him, and it gets stuck in his back) was pretty dumb.

Had to read a couple of books by Hermann Hesse in high school English (Demian and Siddhartha). Didn't care for them, either.

It's hard for me to name the worst book I've ever read. If I still can't get into it by the 3-4th chapter I'm done. So then I can't officially state that I've read it.

Though I do remember having to read The Grapes of Wrath in high school and being terribly bored. But I reread it later in life and enjoyed it.

It's hard for me to name the worst book I've ever read. If I still can't get into it by the 3-4th chapter I'm done. So then I can't officially state that I've read it.

Though I do remember having to read The Grapes of Wrath in high school and being terribly bored. But I reread it later in life and enjoyed it.

I have mixed feelings about that one. I don't particularly enjoy some of the ways my very liberal junior english teacher interpreted it. She insisted that Steinbeck's use of profanity represented "the common people's language", even though everyone knows classy/refined people can be just as apt to swear but not in public. I tend to believe he did it for shock value alone. Excluding the profanity wouldn't have taken away from his messages. Another thing she did that I didn't like was equating Casy's sacrifice to see that the workers were treated fairly to communism.

2nd Nephi

"During the Vietnam War, a group of soldiers were ambushed. Fire was exchanged and during it all, a young LDS soldier was hit in the chest. The others had no choice but to retreat, leaving their friend's body in the tall grass. Later that night, back at the camp, they saw a figure moving towards them. One of the soldiers yelled out, "Who goes there?" Out of the shadows stumbled the LDS soldier. The group stood in disbelief, wanting to know how he survived. The LDS soldier reached into his jacket and pulled out a pocket version Book of Mormon with a bullet lodged in it. Holding it high in the air he exclaimed, "Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets through Second Nephi!"

I really didn't like Of Mice and Men. Despite others on here saying they liked The Scarlet Letter, I've never met anyone else in real life that likes Hawthorne. I like him a lot.

As far as those Orson Scott Card books go, I've loved every single one of them except Lovelock. Something about naughty monkey sex just didn't do it for me.

I know I've probably started over a 100 books that all of a sudden go horribly wrong, but I'm going to stick with Of Mice and Men (and all of Steinbeck, for that matter) as my least favorite.

I really didn't like Of Mice and Men. Despite others on here saying they liked The Scarlet Letter, I've never met anyone else in real life that likes Hawthorne. I like him a lot.

As far as those Orson Scott Card books go, I've loved every single one of them except Lovelock. Something about naughty monkey sex just didn't do it for me.

I know I've probably started over a 100 books that all of a sudden go horribly wrong, but I'm going to stick with Of Mice and Men (and all of Steinbeck, for that matter) as my least favorite.

Wait wait wait, you read the books Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide and you actually liked them?! HOW?! I don't see how it is honestly possible. We are talking about the same books right? The one where pigs get eviscerated with a tree planted in them? The one where a little girl traces wood grain lines for page after page after page? Please explain to me how you liked it? I honestly can't see how it is possible if someone who has read it. I can understand liking Ender's Game but that's about it. I haven't read any other books by Orson Scott other than those 3.

Everytime one of my little girls brings home a Berenstain Bears book from the school library I want to hide it. Two other books I don't recommend are "Molly's Family" and "Body Drama". I have issues with both of those. Also some of Jodi Picoult's books are captivating stories but there is so much gratuitous profanity that it's uncomfortable and distracting.

I would have to say that my immunology textbook is the worst closely followed by my Biochemistry textbook. I am sorry that I can't offer an opinion about like a true book, but its just been so long since I had time to read a real one.

I've actually enjoyed my science textbooks as far as that goes. Of course I read my textbooks for fun in high school so...

Guest mormonmusic

The Power of a Positive No. It's a follow-up to "Getting To Yes", a book about negotiation. It was terrible. I thought the author was simply trying to capitalize on the popularity of "Getting to Yes" but had nothing else to say, so he reached and reached and reached to write that book. I sold it on Amazon after giving it a decent chance.

The other one is "The Eight Habit" by Stephen R. Covey. I really did not like that one at all. Again, he had so much success with the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, I think he needed a follow-up product and reached for the Eight Habit. I trust there will be no Ninth Habit...at least, I hope not.

I think part of the problem is that these authors do put out some great first works, and they are so great that expectations are raised for their subsequent works, and they disappoint as a result.

"I think part of the problem is that these authors do put out some great first works, and they are so great that expectations are raised for their subsequent works, and they disappoint as a result."

mormonmusic, I also think this is some of the problem. I also think sometimes the publishing houses take over the project. :( The latter books do not even feel like it is the same author.