RL Stine books

zippy_do46

At the book store the little boys and girls flock to Goosebumps. I loved the fact that the boys were really into reading. Then I picked up one of the books and WOW was I shocked. Now, I am very torn. All the blood, gut and gore that little boys like is there. Some people do not get out alive. There is not always a happy ending. These books are part of all the reading list here. My grandsons love them. The teachers say it gets the boys reading.

I think those books are a bit stupid... not much intellectuality... but it helps the boys to read. We had a bunch of them.

My sons and I loved to read: Michael Scotts serie, first book is called Alchemist at least one sitl to come. There is an other serie that we liked a lot... but I have loaned it to a friend and cant recall teh name. Got it ... author is Wayne Thomas Batson ;The door within triology. I bought it on Deseret bookstore, but I think it is one of the books that is not for sale there any more. It is for a bit younger kids than the Scotts books. It was about a usual thinn little boy who suddenly is a person who is to save a world.

If you find bookserie by Ruben Eliassen (Norwegean) called Phenomena (or something like that) in English that is a very nice youth/childrens bookserie. I think that serie was literaly better than most.:)

Maybe I should write a youth/children serie... hmmm

Edited by Maya

My children loved Goosebumps but they quickly outgrew them. I tried to always have other authors available and if it was a book they made a face about I would start them out by reading a few chapters. My sister has been more successful. Her boys breezed through the goosebump books and where on to other authors before I could blink. (Amazing kids)... anyway, They are very popular books. All the kids and their friends are reading them. Its hard to totally restrict something they will have access to in the school library. A parents job is to make sure they are exposed to good things so they will recognize the bad things when they see them and to talk to kids about why something is judged good or bad.

I found that when I explained good/bad choices to my children they usually made the right choice on their own. (Then they became teenagers and that's another story:eek:)

I can't really give an opinion as i've never read any of those books, which may sound odd considering that they began coming out when i was in middle school. I just always had something better to read, and i've never been that into horror books.

Have you read The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney? That's about as close to horror as i've come, but it would probably more rightly be called dark fantasy. I've enjoyed them.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you think of RL Stine books?

for the most part hey're pretty cheesy, and ya gotta be in the mood for them....

However i did find the "Ghost Next Door" (at least thats what i seem to recall the title being.. it's been years since i've picked up an RL stine book) to be pretty thought provoking.

My kids don't like them. They are into Animorphs, Bailey School Kids (something about the Mummy's, and Vampires in that series appeal to them better than Goosebumps), Wimpy Kid, How to Train your Dragon series, etc.

• 8 months later...

I used to read these books when I was younger. But according to the memories I have, It's nothing compared to what we see (nowadays) on the Internet or on TV. But if it can encourage them to read, It's not that bad. Otherwise there is Harry Potter, Jack London and so on.

But I do not know...he may have changed his writing style for a generation of children a little bit more exposed to violence than mine.