Jacob 4:3

pam

Reference Search: Jacob 4:3

3 Now in this thing we do rejoice; and we labor diligently to engraven these words upon plates, hoping that our beloved brethren and our children will receive them with thankful hearts, and look upon them that they may learn with joy and not with sorrow, neither with contempt, concerning their first parents.

The appropriate response to receiving the word of God in the Book of Mormon is a feeling of great gratitude for those who took the time to laboriously engrave the characters on the plates in what must have been a very tedious process. Note the Lord’s disgust with the Christian nations who received the Bible from the Jews but completely lacked this gratitude, what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles? (2 Ne 29:4) We should not be cavalier in our attitude towards the Book of Mormon. It was created for us at great pains and personal sacrifice by many great and wonderful men and should be received with thankful hearts.

One thing that has often impressed me when I read this verse (and verse 4 immediately after) is how important it is for me to tell my children (written and verbally) that I have a testimony. Granted nothing I write or say will ever be canonized like Jacob's writings. I still want my children (and grandchildren and so on) to know that I believed in Christ.

There was a talk given in General Conference, I believe in April that addresses how important it is for us as parents to share our testimonies to our children. I will find it and post a link for it.