Serriously amazing

ZappBrannigan

So I was reading some scriptures with my son this week, and ran across the conversion story of King Lamoni's Father. I can't believe the amount of faith he showed. This has quickly become one of my favorite Scriptures;

Alma 22:18

O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day. And now when the king had said these words, he was struck aas if he were dead.

I will give away all my sins to know thee. Can you imagine that? I mean, I am not saying I am holding onto major, or in my opinion even moderate sins, but nonetheless, I know I still have my favorite sins that I am either too proud or too stupid to let go of.

When I went home teaching with my son, he asked us what sins we wanted to hold onto, that would keep us from knowing our Heavenly Father. Makes you think...

Love it!

As we know ppl in the dark ages were willing to be tortured unto death in order to get their hands on a bible and try to read it because many couldn't even read.

Now look at us..... seems we have it all. Is that the problem? We don't know what we have do we. And if we do we take it for granted most of the time.

---------------------------

1Ne 17:41 "And he did straiten them in the wilderness with his rod; for they hardened their hearts, even as ye have; and the Lord straitened them because of their iniquity. He sent fiery flying serpents among them; and after they were bitten he prepared a way that they might be healed; and the labor which they had to perform was to look; and because of the simpleness of the way, or the easiness of it, there were many who perished."

Alma 37:46 "O my son, do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might elive; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever."

Helaman 6:34 "And thus we see that the Nephites did begin to dwindle in unbelief, and grow in wickedness and abominations, while the Lamanites began to grow exceedingly in the knowledge of their God; yea, they did begin to keep his statutes and commandments, and to walk in truth and uprightness before him.

35 And thus we see that the Spirit of the Lord began to withdraw from the Nephites, because of the wickedness and the hardness of their hearts.

36 And thus we see that the Lord began to pour out his Spirit upon the Lamanites, because of their easiness and willingness to believe in his words."

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

In the church [at Wargrave] is a memorial to Mrs. Sarah Hill, who bequeathed £1 annually, to be divided at Easter, between two boys and two girls who "have never been undutiful to their parents; who have never been known to swear or to tell untruths, to steal, or to break windows." Fancy giving up all that for five shillings a year! It is not worth it.

It is rumoured in the town that once, many years ago, a boy appeared who really never had done these things--or at all events, which was all that was required or could be expected, had never been known to do them--and thus won the crown of glory.

He was exhibited for three weeks afterwards in the Town Hall, under a glass case. What has become of the money since no one knows. They say it is always handed over to the nearest wax-works show.

Jerome K. Jerome Three Men in a Boat

Well I guess knowing whether or not there really is a God is worth a bit more than five shillings a year! (25p in today's money!) :P Makes you think though... Edited by Jamie123

It reminds me of Bible stories where someone is asked to do something very simple things and they still can't do it. The rich man who was asked to give up his riches and follow Christ. Or Lot's wife who was told not to look back, or the king who was asked to wash in the river seven times but walked away angry. Or the investigator who won't give up coffee. Or the member who skips church to watch Football.

We all do it. Thank goodness for forgiveness (and that God doesn't turn us into pillars of salt)!

So I was reading some scriptures with my son this week, and ran across the conversion story of King Lamoni's Father. I can't believe the amount of faith he showed. This has quickly become one of my favorite Scriptures;

Alma 22:18

O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day. And now when the king had said these words, he was struck aas if he were dead.

I will give away all my sins to know thee....

I so want want want to get my heart and mind to this point in humility, desire, and trust to do this.

Yes, this is an awesome display of faith.

If you go back a little, where he first meets Ammon, and he is pleading for his life (after Ammon whips him at swordplay) he says he will give up half his kingdom if Ammon would spare his life. Then, as you see in this encounter with Aaron, he is willing to give up his entire kingdom to know God, and a couple verses later he says he's also willing to give up all his sins.

It's obvious his encounter with Ammon had a profound impact on him. And, as he pondered over it, until Aaron came to him, it continued to work in him.

One person can make a difference. Ammon made a HUGE difference among the Lamanites.

Yes, this is an awesome display of faith.

If you go back a little, where he first meets Ammon, and he is pleading for his life (after Ammon whips him at swordplay) he says he will give up half his kingdom if Ammon would spare his life. Then, as you see in this encounter with Aaron, he is willing to give up his entire kingdom to know God, and a couple verses later he says he's also willing to give up all his sins.

It's obvious his encounter with Ammon had a profound impact on him. And, as he pondered over it, until Aaron came to him, it continued to work in him.

One person can make a difference. Ammon made a HUGE difference among the Lamanites.

I have often thought that Ammon was a real humble servant, why? To me he is one of the greatest persons in the scriptures. What he did here in these verses was so mighty and made such an impact that it really sock the king to the core. Mighty, might servant. All the great things he did by faith. Amazing.

I agree. I have developed a new admiration for Ammon in the last couple of years, as I study more in depth.

We all recognize the great words written about Captain Moroni and are amazed at how wonderful a man he must have been. It seems we miss the comparison made to Ammon:

Alma 48:

17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.

18 Behold, he was a man like unto Ammon, the son of Mosiah...

I agree. I have developed a new admiration for Ammon in the last couple of years, as I study more in depth.

We all recognize the great words written about Captain Moroni and are amazed at how wonderful a man he must have been. It seems we miss the comparison made to Ammon:

Alma 48:

17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.

18 Behold, he was a man like unto Ammon, the son of Mosiah...

Justice,

Thanks for pointing that out. Seems Mormon knew.