Denial of the Soul:Spiritual & Medical Perspectives on Euthanasia & Mortality by M. Scott Peck, M.D.

Dr T

The next book was M. Scott Peck’s Denial of the Soul. In this 260 page book was one that I really enjoyed. M. Scott Peck, M.D. is a psychiatrist and author. He did a wonderful job making the reader think about the topic. He spattered the book with insightful stories, personal accounts and some patient cases. This book was about the topic of dying and euthanasia. I took from his book a respect for religions, God or deity as the author of our life, the social climate during the writing of that book, and a combination of psycho-religious factors that he would consider while doing the work of depression and death. He views the soul as a spirit that can be developed and that we face selfishness or more of a word I can't recall right now but I think it starts with an "A" but I still can't find the word right now. He covered Dr. Kuber-Ross’s grief/loss cycle and applied it to various people and situations. Something I noticed right away was Dr. Peck calling God a "she" throughout this book and I found that interesting. I know that he sees God as nurturing and caring and wonder if that’s why he called God a “her” but I’m not sure. He also talked a lot about ethical issues, being a physician and the Hippocratic oath and other Dr.’s that participate in assisted suicide, concepts of jurisprudence, philosophy, and religion. This book was a a wonderfully thought provoking work. He sets up a continuum in presenting issues like in a philosophy class that I loved. I’d love to talk to somebody about this book so I hope some of you have either read it or will read it and then come share your thoughts. On a 5 star rating scale (5 being the highest) I would give his book at least a 4.

The word was arrogance. He called it ultimate arrogance because people often do not give due credit to God for their creation and they are arrogant that they can take their life without considering not finishing out the plans that God has for them. I'm sure all those words were not exactly Dr. Peck's but arrogance was the word he chose to use that I forgot above.