emergency evacuation question

yorkiebeebs

Hi, we just bought a motor home and I was wondering if those of you who own one will be using it for evacuation if the need arises. Just wondering.

I know gas is a big consideration but our cars eat gas also.

So could I ask what your evacuation plan is? We would have to have a huge catastrophe before we would have to leave because our house is sound and has four levels (including the basement). My husband said if it gets that bad we probably would be grid lock and the condition of the streets would be so bad that we wouldn't be able to get out anyway.

I would love to know your thoughts.

So could I ask what your evacuation plan is?

Well, the answer is usually "it depends on the situation". But life is different when you live 10 mi away from the nearest town. Most of the situations likely to arise around us, make getting home and staying put our best option. Forest fire? We're out of the trees. Severe blizzard? Our roof has an 80 lb snow load rating. Terrorist attack or other disaster displacing large populations? The nearest large population worth attacking is 20 mi away - people will be coming to our neighborhood as part of their evacuation plan.

In the event that we do need to evacuate, we'll be loading our 'bug out kits' into our truck, hooking up our horse trailer, and heading to wherever safety is. We have three 5-gal gas cans to help with fuel. The bug out kits keep everyone clothed, fed, warm, and band-aided for 72 hours. We keep dog food in containers that are easy to pick up and toss in the back of the truck. We have 4 or 5 five-gallon water containers, plus an assortment of water filters. Horses drink a lot - it's a big worry.

LM

You might do better to be riding those horses. I think everybody ought to watch the History channel docudrama "After Armageddon." It puts a lot of things into perspective. Remember that a lot of people's food storage plan is a collection of rifles and a lot of ammo.

Well keep in min that yorkie is asking about an emergency, not armageddon. Emergencies, by definition, are finite events with an end date, after which life goes back to normal. Severe weather, chemical spill, industrial accident, etc.

I enjoyed After Armageddon, as well as the two dozen other fall-of-society stories I've read over the years.

And as for people's food storage amounting to a gun and knowing who your LDS neighbors are, you might be surprised at the results of the poll on this thread. I know I was surprised, and relatively comforted. We probably won't go down as easy as some might think. I know my family won't.

LM

Severe blizzard? Our roof has an 80 lb snow load rating.

Even if it wasn't I have a hard time picturing venturing out during a blizzard to be the better option. Unless you live next door to a unlocked heavy structured building or something. Piling into the car (or worse walking) any distance just seems a bad idea.

Of course I don't have any personal experience with blizzards so take my musing for what it is worth.

Fairbanks is too dry and too cold in the winter for a good blizzard. Folks living around the Great Lakes can see more snow then I ever have.

Fuuny. I live in the Great Lakes area. I have a friend who moved out of my ward last May and moved home to Fairbanks. I couldn't figure out why on earth she would want to go back there, with as much as we already got here.

Fuuny. I live in the Great Lakes area. I have a friend who moved out of my ward last May and moved home to Fairbanks. I couldn't figure out why on earth she would want to go back there, with as much as we already got here.

Well, one can see further. And they have real mountains up there. Don't forget the State cuts you a check to live there. Oh and moose tags are free to residents. I must confess I miss Fairbanks. Though the cost of living is a pain.

• 2 weeks later...

I have pondered this question also. I do have a motorhome.

The argument in favor of using the motorhome for evacuation is that the motorhome has an 800 mile range (yes I do keep the tank full) and can carry the family and a lot of supplies. We can also tow a car (four wheel drive) in which we could pile on more supplies or extend our range when the fuel in the motorhome runs out. And the motorhome can be used for shelter when reaching the destination.

The argument against is that it would make for a very large obvious target if the evacuation scenario could possibly turn violent. (In a motorhome you would look “rich”) If we need to transfer to the car, we would be leaving supplies behind in the motorhome, but we would be leaving supplies behind at home, if we had to bug out in the car. The motorhome is not equipped with snow chains and would not be a viable alternative in winter. Being able to carry more supplies would require longer loading time. (You would need to have a secondary “bug out bag” consisting of the additional essential group of supplies to be carried in the motorhome.)

I haven’t decided yet.