LDS Doctrine Specifically Against Tattoos?

Bini

Is there LDS doctrine specifically against tattoos? Or is this subject on the same playing field as caffeinated beverages being against the Word Of Wisdom? Some people feel they do, others feel they don't and the Word Of Wisdom doesn't specifically address Coke or Pepsi.

link

General Authorities of the Church have also advised against tattoos. Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote, “The practice is a desecration of the human body and should not be permitted. … Latter-day Saint servicemen in particular are counseled to avoid the pitfalls of tattooing. Persons who are tattooed are not, however, denied the ordinances and blessings of the temples” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 775).

Is there LDS doctrine specifically against tattoos? Or is this subject on the same playing field as caffeinated beverages being against the Word Of Wisdom? Some people feel they do, others feel they don't and the Word Of Wisdom doesn't specifically address Coke or Pepsi.

Linky of interest: Tattooing

If you are looking for an analog body piercings are probably the closest.

To answer your question literally, the doctrine is that our bodies are temples (1 Corinthians 3). That's the doctrine. Latter-day prophets have counseled specifically against tattoos.

From President Hinckley, in General Conference (the Priesthood session, I believe):

Teach your children self-respect. Teach them that their bodies are the creation of the Almighty. What a miraculous, wonderful, and beautiful thing is the human body.

As has been said here tonight, Paul, in writing to the Corinthians, declared: “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

“If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are” (1 Cor. 3:16–17).

Now comes the craze of tattooing one’s body. I cannot understand why any young man—or young woman, for that matter—would wish to undergo the painful process of disfiguring the skin with various multicolored representations of people, animals, and various symbols. With tattoos, the process is permanent, unless there is another painful and costly undertaking to remove it. Fathers, caution your sons against having their bodies tattooed. They may resist your talk now, but the time will come when they will thank you. A tattoo is graffiti on the temple of the body.

Likewise the piercing of the body for multiple rings in the ears, in the nose, even in the tongue. Can they possibly think that is beautiful? It is a passing fancy, but its effects can be permanent. Some have gone to such extremes that the ring had to be removed by surgery. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve have declared that we discourage tattoos and also “the piercing of the body for other than medical purposes.” We do not, however, take any position “on the minimal piercing of the ears by women for one pair of earrings”—one pair.

Source

Also from President Hinckley, one month later, in an address to youth and YSAs:

I recently spoke to your mothers and your fathers. Among other things, I talked with them about tattoos.

What creation is more magnificent than the human body? What a wondrous thing it is as the crowning work of the Almighty.

Paul, in writing to the Corinthians, said: “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

“If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are” (1 Cor. 3:16–17).

Did you ever think that your body is holy? You are a child of God. Your body is His creation. Would you disfigure that creation with portrayals of people, animals, and words painted into your skin?

I promise you that the time will come, if you have tattoos, that you will regret your actions. They cannot be washed off. They are permanent. Only by an expensive and painful process can they be removed. If you are tattooed, then probably for the remainder of your life you will carry it with you. I believe the time will come when it will be an embarrassment to you. Avoid it. We, as your Brethren who love you, plead with you not to become so disrespectful of the body which the Lord has given you.

How truly beautiful is a well-groomed young woman who is clean in body and mind. She is a daughter of God in whom her Eternal Father can take pride. How handsome is a young man who is well groomed. He is a son of God, deemed worthy of holding the holy priesthood of God. He does not need tattoos or earrings on or in his body. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve are all united in counseling against these things.

Source

Yes, the Corinthians verse is one place we can look to, but there are others:

Leviticus 19:28 (NIV)

28 “ ‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.

Romans 10:4 (NIV)

4 Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Galatians 3:23–25 (NIV)

23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

1 Corinthians 10:31 (NIV)

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Jesus taught that the He came to fulfill the law, not do away with it. He also said that our righteousness is to be more than the religious leaders of His day, or that we could in no way enter the kingdom of heaven. Some obvious links of His teachings are that it is not just killing someone that is a sin, 'Thou shalt not kill,' but that if we are angry at a brother without cause is also a sin in the same class and that calling someone a fool or empty-headed is a dangerous thing to do if we know the whole righteous truth of the matter as given by the very Son of God!

So by implication/inference, we can look at various things in Leviticus and know these standards of life and action and faith are still important and not to be ignored. We know that Jesus ended the need for sacrificing animals for our sins, as He is the Lamb of God which takes away the sins of the world, but we need to recognize the importance of true righteous living - not self righteous living, but righteousness as declared by God and His Son.

And this does lead to the post earlier about our bodies being the temple of the Holy Spirit as written about by Paul.

Just a note to show there are specific verses in the Bible about the topic. If we had them before we knew the Lord, well that's one thing that we know the blood of Christ covered, but if we are in Christ it is something we need to know what God has said already and to abide in it as true.

Just curious, what place does the OT law or NT epistles have in LDS doctrine? Just doing a quick view of some of the links and didn't see any verses of Scripture noted. The Bible addresses the matter.

Thanks!

Perhaps instead of criticizing all of us, you could offer some input.

Whynot....you must have totally missed Wingnut's post then. She references Corinthians.

My link references that scripture as well. It doesn't surprise me in the least there are other scripture on the topic, but some scripture are iconic and well known so they tend to get quoted first. For instance John 3:16 isn't the only place in the scriptures that speaks of Divine love for us but it is an iconic one. Likewise 1 Nephi 3:7 is a good one in the Book of Mormon on obedience and gets quoted a lot though it surely isn't the only one.

Edited by Dravin

Perhaps instead of criticizing all of us, you could offer some input.

I asked a question, it was not meant to be taken as a criticism. Perhaps you also missed my post with added Scriptures on the topic as I missed the previous post you made referencing Corinthians. Since Leviticus is specific with the issue, I was just asking.

Thanks!

There is a lot of counsel against "tattoos" from the scriptures and general authorities. However, a member with a tattoo is allowed to enter the temple (just like someone with multiple piercings), of course it all depends on each case. Some prospective missionaries with tattoos are allowed to serve a mission and depending on the size and picture of the tattoo (in some cases, they will not be able to serve at all) they will be either send to a country where tattoos are culturally accepted or a country with a colder climate where long sleeves will cover the tattoos.

While I know that there's been counsel given against having tatoos, I can't believe it's a 'one size fits all' in that nobody can never have any, ever, and that they will be denied access to the celestial kingdom because of it! My girlfriend has a beautiful tatoo right above her left elbow of a butterfly that she used to cover up a big, hideous scar that doctors said would cost her thousands of dollars in plastic surgery to have it removed, with still no guarantee that it would ever be completely the same. So she opted to have a beautiful, multi-colored butterfly (she loves butterflies because she says that they are a creature that harms no one) tatoo put over the scar for just a couple of hundred dollars. Yesterday we took a trip to a local zoo and the girl at the counter was just going on about how nice her tatoo looks. This is just one of MANY compliments that I've seen her get on her butterfly. While some may say 'it's defiling the temple', others may look at it and say it's taking an ugly situation, turing it around and making it look a whole lot brighter and nicer.:)

Edited by Carl62

While I know that there's been counsel given against having tatoos, I can't believe it's a 'one size fits all' in that nobody can never have any, ever, and that they will be denied access to the celestial kingdom because of it!

I don't believe that drinking coffee in and of itself will keep one out of the celestial kingdom, much less tattoos. I don't think that makes the counsel any less important, though.

(My comment doesn't apply specifically to your girlfriend's situation, but to the counsel in general.)

I find it ironic that piercings are allowed for women's earrings after all the railing against anything else by President Hinckley. I guess even the prophets are not immune from long established tradition.:-)

Edit: This custom is so strong among certain cultures that my Granddaughter had her ears pierced at one year. My daughter had hers pierced at around two years old.

Edited by mrmarklin

While I know that there's been counsel given against having tatoos, I can't believe it's a 'one size fits all' in that nobody can never have any, ever, and that they will be denied access to the celestial kingdom because of it! My girlfriend has a beautiful tatoo right above her left elbow of a butterfly that she used to cover up a big, hideous scar that doctors said would cost her thousands of dollars in plastic surgery to have it removed, with still no guarantee that it would ever be completely the same. So she opted to have a beautiful, multi-colored butterfly (she loves butterflies because she says that they are a creature that harms no one) tatoo put over the scar for just a couple of hundred dollars. Yesterday we took a trip to a local zoo and the girl at the counter was just going on about how nice her tatoo looks. This is just one of MANY compliments that I've seen her get on her butterfly. While some may say 'it's defiling the temple', others may look at it and say it's taking an ugly situation, turing it around and making it look a whole lot brighter and nicer.:)

I had a good lesson given on a subject similar to this- about whether all the "small" things in the gospel keep you out of the celestial kingdom.. the answer is that ultimately they don't really matter in whatever it is itself, but its your personal obedience is what will make or break it. Choosing to be disobedient ultimately drives away the spirit. When that happens an individual will slide down a path of making greater and greater indiscretions until they fall away unless they repent.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you are obedient in the small things, it's much easier to be obedient in regards to the larger more important things.

Edited by Blackmarch

If that were true, why would the prophets have repeatedly counseled against it? And mightn't there be an absence of blessings for not following the prophet?

I think it would fall into the caffeine thing. We might be forgoing blessing by not following the Prophets (assuming the Ensign and Young women manuals represent the Prophets thoughts on the subject) thoughts on that but we will not know until later.

All we know is that while the church has frowned upon the subject (both subjects actually*) neither prevent blessings such as priesthood, baptism, temple attendance etc, which is what i believe

Intrigued was referring to.

(*If one can understand or The wow teaches habit forming drugs are bad, recognize the church has published the dangers of caffeine in it's publications and called it a habit forming drug over the last 30 years but claim it is ok because there are no withheld blessing, then they should be able to understand this view on tattoos.)