Letters and no Envelope?

livyb

I hope this is the right place for this...

I have a frien who is on a mission, now that he is finally headed to Mexico where he was called we have been given special instructions for sending letters : It can only be a single page folded in three and taped or a post card. No envelopes allowed.

I was just curious if anyone knew why this was?

Thank you!

I'm going to venture a guess based on my experiences on my mission with the mail system of another country. Mail is often searched, things are stolen. I can see where something with an envelope would be opened to look for something to take (such as money) and then the whole letter discarded.

A post card or piece of paper folded obviously doesn't contain anything worth taking.

I'm going to venture a guess based on my experiences on my mission with the mail system of another country. Mail is often searched, things are stolen. I can see where something with an envelope would be opened to look for something to take (such as money) and then the whole letter discarded.

A post card or piece of paper folded obviously doesn't contain anything worth taking.

That makes a lot of sense. However, based on my own experience working for the USPS, I can tell you that a single sheet of paper folded in thirds isn't sturdy enough to make it through the auto-sort machines. It's wimpy and will jam the machines up.

That in mind, OP, consider using a heavy paper for letters.

That makes a lot of sense. However, based on my own experience working for the USPS, I can tell you that a single sheet of paper folded in thirds isn't sturdy enough to make it through the auto-sort machines. It's wimpy and will jam the machines up.

That in mind, OP, consider using a heavy paper for letters.

Never knew that. Now I know why all my international pen pal letters back in high school were so beaten up, lol.

It is also an issue of cost/expense. An envelope weighs more, and therefore is more expensive. If the letters are going to the mission office, the office may have to forward the letters weekly, usually in bulk mail to mission areas. It's a lot cheaper to send just a letter than a letter and an envelope.