Rapture

bytor2112

I'll give you the short version. Prior to the second coming of Jesus for judgement, there will be a time of great tribulation. An antichrist will arise who will bring great opposition to Christians and to Israel. People will be forced to choose between Christ and the Antichrist, by taking a mark (probably of loyalty). This mark is the 666, though many speculate that it might not be something so simple as the number. Those who refuse this mark will not be allowed to buy or sell, and will ultimately face beheading. At the end of the Tribulation the allies of antichrist will gather for a final great battle against God and his allies. They will be completely routed, of course.

The rapture is an event prior to this Great Tribulation during which Christian will be "caught up" (raptured) to be with the LORD. The belief is based on a particular set of scriptures that seem to indicate that the Church will not have to endure the Great Tribulation. The ones who are beheaded, are those who realize that Jesus is true during the Tribulation. It is believed that many will, because the Rapture will be such an obvious fulfillment of prophecy.

The word "rapture" is a word that was created to help illustrate the idea of being caught up in God. Prisonchaplain brought up the phrase "caught up" and that's pretty much the closest term i've ever heard in reference to the rapture in the Bible.

But then, Greek is very difficult to translate, because often there just is not an English counterpart for certain words. The word that is found in 1 Thessalonians is ἁρπάζω (it's pronounced kinda like har-pad-zo) and it USUALLY means "catch, caught or caught up". I've heard ἁρπάζω being also being described as "seize" too. So i've never been sure if it's supposed to be about being caught up in God emotionally, or being taken by force. ^_^ Maybe prisonchap would know.

Matthew 24:36 Jesus says that nobody knows when it will be though. So all the churches who claim to know the time and date are either calling Jesus a liar, or a little confused...

It's odd that Revelation - which has much to say about the plagues, false prophets and tribulations of this period - says nothing whatsoever about any "rapture". The whole idea is based on a couple of obscure (and possibly badly misinterpreted) verses elsewhere in the NT. And of course some dreadfully written (but also strangely compulsive) novels LaHay and Jenkins.

Edited by Jamie123

And of course some dreadfully written (but also strangely compulsive) novels LaHay and Jenkins.

Tim LaHaye is my hero. The Left Behind series is compelling stuff!

The movie was terrible, but Left Behind: World at War is so good I've seen it 4 times and want to see it again now that I'm talking about it!

It's odd that Revelation - which has much to say about the plagues, false prophets and tribulations of this period - says nothing whatsoever about any "rapture". The whole idea is based on a couple of obscure (and possibly badly misinterpreted) verses elsewhere in the NT. And of course some dreadfully written (but also strangely compulsive) novels LaHay and Jenkins.

Well...if you want to stick around for the "fun," you're welcome to it. :D:D:D I plan to take the first flight out! :cool::cool::cool:

Tim LaHaye is my hero. The Left Behind series is compelling stuff!

The movie was terrible, but Left Behind: World at War is so good I've seen it 4 times and want to see it again now that I'm talking about it!

I never saw the movie - I don't think it's ever been released in the UK - but I do want to see it out of morbid curiosity!

The same thing could be said regarding some LDS beliefs too. Just so you are aware. ^_^

If you were to regard Biblical confirmation as the only basis of support for Mormonism I would agree. However, Mormonism relies on the assumption that Smith and his successors have been adding to scripture over the past two centuries, and their teachings have the same status as those found in the Bible. As far as I can see, Dispensational Premillennialism has no such support from continued revelation - it is all extrapolated from Biblical teaching.

LDS also believe in A rapture. However, we believe it will primarily be post-tribulation, when Christ comes for his 2nd Coming and the righteous dead are resurrected. The righteous upon the earth will be translated and caught up to Christ as he descends.

We do believe instead that Zion will be built during the period of great tribulation by the LDS saints and other righteous peoples. Of course, this is based upon LDS revelation regarding Jerusalem in Israel and a separate Zion in the Americas.

LDS also believe in A rapture. However, we believe it will primarily be post-tribulation, when Christ comes for his 2nd Coming and the righteous dead are resurrected.

PrisonChaplain can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Christian community hasn't settled on whether the Rapture is pre- or post-Tribulation. There are camps on both sides.

As to the LDS timeline, I don't recall one being actively taught. We have been given many Signs of the Times, and told that many of them are already fulfilled, and that many are yet to be. But I haven't seen a really clear line of this leads up to the Second Coming (including several visitations of the Savior), this is the Second Coming (including these simultaneous events/consequences), and this is Millenial (and it's easy to confuse start/end).

Roughly 75% of those who believe in premillenialism at all (mostly evangelicals) believe the Rapture will be prior to the Tribulation. The mainline historic denominations tend to believe either that the biblical millenium is allegorical, or that it happens as an indistinguishable part of history.

I haven't read them Left Behind series at all. Several people have insisted that I give them a shot.

I loved this series. I don't think I've read 11 or is it 12 books in such a short time before.