End of the World?

MaMeeshkaMow

Hello there,

I've been hearing a lot about the book series called "Standing in Holy Places", which is about families living in the last days/Second Coming. My question for you is do you think the Second Coming is going to be in our lifetimes? What do you feel about that?

Also, is it true the Church is buying lands all over to set up "safe havens" where people would gather to for the Second Coming?

What is your belief on how the righteous will be saved and the evil destroyed at the Second Coming? If these safe zones are going to be set up, are these the designated places where the Earth won't be destroyed? Even though God is all powerful, it doesn't seem likely he would go "house by house" to save the righteous and destroy the wicked? Could it be that the Lord is revealing to the prophet where to buy land because He knows those are the places that will be safe?

I've always wondered why the boy scouts/girl scout programs are encouraged so much in the Church. Besides individual progression, could it serve a purpose in that, maybe in these future safe zones, knowing how to live in the"wilderness" will be beneficial?

If the prophet announced it was time to gather in safezones, could you leave everything behind? Could you live the law of consecration? If you knew there were people in the safezones that didn't contribute food storage and you did, would you have a grudge against them?

What are your thoughts and feelings about the end?

Hello there,

I've been hearing a lot about the book series called "Standing in Holy Places", which is about families living in the last days/Second Coming. My question for you is do you think the Second Coming is going to be in our lifetimes? What do you feel about that?

Whether the Second Coming happens in my lifetime or not is irrelevant. We are charged with being the most righteous and obedient person we are capable of being at this very instant. I'm not nearly good enough in the moment, so I'm not prone to spending much time wondering about whether or not I'm ready for a Second Coming.

Also, is it true the Church is buying lands all over to set up "safe havens" where people would gather to for the Second Coming?

I'm sure it's true the Church is buying land, but I doubt it is for this purpose. The Church owns and operates a massive corporation to subsidize the expenses associated with running a worldwide organization. Real estate is a part of that venture.

What is your belief on how the righteous will be saved and the evil destroyed at the Second Coming? If these safe zones are going to be set up, are these the designated places where the Earth won't be destroyed? Even though God is all powerful, it doesn't seem likely he would go "house by house" to save the righteous and destroy the wicked? Could it be that the Lord is revealing to the prophet where to buy land because He knows those are the places that will be safe?

Don't know and don't care. There are too many variables here to consider, so I'll just do the best with what I've got.

I've always wondered why the boy scouts/girl scout programs are encouraged so much in the Church. Besides individual progression, could it serve a purpose in that, maybe in these future safe zones, knowing how to live in the"wilderness" will be beneficial?

Doubtful. The Scouting program just happened to be a convenient vessel in which to teach young men how to lead, develop skills, and build testimonies. It shared enough goals at the time that it was adopted that it was easier to adopt it than to construct one's own program. And the Scouting program has changed dramatically over the years. Baden Powell's original vision was that scouting would be a good training ground to prepare boys for military service. That isn't emphasized nearly as much any more.

If the prophet announced it was time to gather in safezones, could you leave everything behind? Could you live the law of consecration? If you knew there were people in the safezones that didn't contribute food storage and you did, would you have a grudge against them?

It would depend on what I felt about the announcement. I would be highly suspicious. The Church has been teaching for years that action without confirmation and preparation isn't really the direction the Lord wants us to take. So I would be surprised if it changed course and asked us to truly leave everything behind.

And I already have covenanted to live the law of consecration. I don't see why the end of the world would alter my covenants.

First and foremost--don't worry about it. If you are as prepared today as you possibly can be, then there's nothing more you can do.

Personal i think Revelation and the end of the world stuff is metaphorical and individual more or less.

I don't think we are asked to have food storage because Radical Islam (as an example) will soon wipe out the US anymore then they needed it to protect themselves from the Commies 50 years ago. However i have seen it save individuals during local and personal events.

I don't think the wicked will burn (ala literal fire) but as a longing "Oh no they were right, i should have been better"

I could be wrong, but that is my take on it.

No. Several church leaders are on record that no, this sort of stuff is not happening. There is no planned "callout" to tent cities or prepared property or anything of the sort.

The call to stay put and build up Zion where you are, is the current advice of the church.

LM

"Standing in Holy Places" is a great series! I've read all the books except the newest one, "The Keys of the Kingdom". But the Library just called and it's on hold for me to pick up today. Yea!

I believe "the end times" have already begun, and the signs are everywhere.

We need not fear, though, if we are prepared...especially spiritually. I'm so grateful to be a member of the Church and I have confidence that within the Church during the coming troubled times, we will still be able to sing, as the pioneers did, "All is Well".

Living in Salt Lake City, I am glad to be building up Zion here, but if we

were told to leave and travel east to Adam-ondi-Ahman, (New Zion), I would be happy to leave everything here and travel with my brothers and sisters to the Great Gathering and our new Home.

All IS Well!

Hello there,

well the church probably buys land to do more than that, however i'd like to note here that during times of emergency what are the church houses often used for?- Safe havens.

we don't know exactly. the burning by fire may mean a literal fire, or it may mean a purifying of the spirit, and if one cannot stand it because of their wickedness then it will remove them somehow.... but that's all speculation.

The scripture make it sound like an "all at once" thing or really close to all at once so that no one will have time to prepare when or after the event occurs.

Scouts has always come across to me as being a very common sense sort of thing, and that may be part of it. Having skills to help one survive is often a precious gem that isn't seen.

The church has always encouraged the membership to acccquire useful knowledge and skill that will benefit them and their fellowperson... Scouts has many things up that alley to offer.... and usually cheaper than school at the same time.

no idea.... I probably be able to get up and move but i'd likely have a real hard time adjusting.

I do and I don't want it to happen soon.

I'd like to see mankind reach for the stars before it happens... but i have this nagging fear that won't happen and the 2nd coming will occur just when things can't get worse for the world, after everything breaks down.

Standing in holy places. There are two ways this can be accomplished:

First is to find and gather to a safe holy place.

The Second is to make the place where you stand holy.

I believe both are meant to apply. The first is accomplished by the covenant of baptism and becoming active in your ward and stake – or in some cases your branch and district. The Church has grown to the point where temples are being built wherever enough have willingly gathered with a wish for that place of gathering to be holy.

The second is accomplished by the family and marriage covenant outlined in the Proclamation to the World. There are some, that for whatever reason prefer only to abide by the first and others that seek only to abide by the second. I believe that in our day and time we must do both and that is my only recommendation concerning this matter. All other concepts, doctrines and ideas; I believe to be heresy, false and a temptation to lure the unwary away from holy places.

The Traveler

In the bible it says that it will come like a thief in the night, so personally I think that means that no one will have any idea before it happens.

Also, my grandparents are LDS and I have been to church more than a few times. I learnt in YW (Young Womans) that even many members will die.

Being "saved" depends on your definition. Saved from death? Not necessarily. Saved in the spiritual sense? They believe so. :)

If you live in a stake of Zion and you are living in such a manner to qualify for a temple recommend, you are standing in a holy place. The stakes of Zion are the refuge.

D&C 115: 6

6 And that the gathering together upon the land of Zion, and upon her stakes, may be for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth.

D&C 124: 36

36 For it is ordained that in Zion, and in her stakes, and in Jerusalem, those places which I have appointed for refuge, shall be the places for your baptisms for your dead.

Luke 17:35-37

35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

The "body" is the Church of Jesus Christ in the latter-days. Those who heed the voice of the prophets and gather to the Church will receive some degree of protection when the judgments are poured out upon the wicked. Those who reject the voice of the Lord's servants are on their own.

The Holy places spoken about are, in order:

1 The Temple

2 Your home

3 The Stakes of Zion,

Be Temple worthy, have a safe and righteous home, and stay close to the Church, and attend regularly.

Maybe some of us will be called to go somewhere else other than where we are now, but I believe that this will come as a Church calling, not as any dramatic mass exodus to Adam-Ondi-Ahman or anything like that. I think all that sort of thing (going to Missouri) is a "Church Myth". There's nothing at all scriptural about it.

It is true, our Stakes are where we are supposed to gather LDS.org - Sunday School Chapter Detail - “The Gathering of My People†In fact, according to that lesson, and a few Conference talks, the gathering has already begun. Here is a good one for this topic: LDS.org - Liahona Article - Preparation for the Second Coming

Unfortunately my stake is like an hour + away! :o I would not be able to take all of my food storage with me, but I do have and maintain a temple recommend. No, I will not have a problem living the law of consecration, I have been practicing for it by paying tithing, acts of service, developing my talents, and visiting teaching.

We have done some training in my ward in the event of a national emergency. We are to have whatever emergency supplies we can, and we will need our temple recommends. I would expect that this will be the procedure should the Second Coming take place during our lifetime. I, however, do not expect it to come during my lifetime, especialy since my PB says I will not be alive at that time. :eek:

I, personally, am not worried about if I am prepared for the Second Coming, as long as I am following counsel and strive to remain worthy of my temple covenants; but I do want my children to know and be ready for it. I do have concern for them. Even if it is not during their lifetimes, I would want them to pass down the need to prepare for it both physically and spiritually to the generations that follow.

Au contraire! Your stake center may be an hour+ away, but you live within a stake of Zion. Stakes are not buildings.

Good point, wingnut, but tell that to my hubby...he is driving up there for meetings this month, in school full time, and working 60+ hours. There will be a way, somehow, to get it all done. I love Stake Conf. but it can be hard to schedule for our house! I think we just might splurge and get a room this time. I've heard that some of the other families in the ward do that. ^_^

When did have a major tornado tear through our town in 2009, the stake came to us. While none of the members in our area were homeless or injured, the help was there for us if we needed it. There was a massive clean up effort. It was a chance to see some of the church planning at work.

Um..... Gathering everyone together in a safe haven in anticipation of the second comming?????

I don't think we should get carried away with such ideas. When I hear that, 2 ideas come to mind: "Jonestown" and "Heaven's Gate".

No offense, but that idea really, REALLY creeps me out. I would never let anybody talk me into doing something like that.

It sasy that the great depth is going back to the North... am I going to get my feet wet? Also it says that the highway for the 10 tribes will be made for them to return from North to Israel... hmmm. If some of poles should melt.. Finland, Sweden and Danmark would be under water and Norway may be a couple mountain peeks....

Interesting times!

Um..... Gathering everyone together in a safe haven in anticipation of the second comming?????

I don't think we should get carried away with such ideas. When I hear that, 2 ideas come to mind: "Jonestown" and "Heaven's Gate".

No offense, but that idea really, REALLY creeps me out. I would never let anybody talk me into doing something like that.

If President Monson told me I needed to go to a designated place to be safe, you had better believe I'd be packing my bags.

What about family members who aren't Church members? If we are someday called to gather together somewhere for safety, will a Temple Recommend holder be able to bring with them family and friends who aren't members? I can't see the Church separating family and friends in a time of emergency, but then, that does happen during Temple weddings!?! I guess this would be a different kind of event since we most likely would not be gathered inside the Temples.

The safe "place" is the House of the Lord and your righteous home. I doubt you'll be doing much traveling.

The "gatherings" mentioned in the scriptures, are in general, the gatherings of the righteous in the Stakes of Zion. Of course there are certain historical gatherings as well such as in Jerusalem (already happening) and the New Jerusalem (already happened and continuing). For most of us, unless you receive some kind of missionary calling you are already "gathered". Remember the prophecy in Daniel: The Church will fill the whole world. Temples are being built everywhere.

I think when the end comes, there is no way to survive it. And even if you could survive it, you probably wouldn't want to! Life in the aftermath would be just awful! You would constantly be fighting off all the other people who survived by chance, and were animal-like desperate, willing to kill for any survival supplies YOU had. Or any little gangs that formed, and decided they wanted to be the new rulers... The new weather patterns would be different, and unlivable.

I would actually prefer to be the first to die, so I wouldn't have to witness all the horror, lol. I would just want to get it over with.

We all have to die, weather we are worthy or not. We can't stay in these imperfect bodies for eternity. Some kind of "leaving this body" or at the very least "transforming" is going to have to happen. Even if its just transforming, still, in that case you would no longer be mortal, and your body would be totally different. So in that sense, I still consider it mortally dying.

I think gathering in the home would be more logical (if you wanted to). The only reason I would gather together ANYWHERE, is to gather with my family, so we could die hugging each other, and saying everything we ever wanted to say, before it hits us. We can't all fit in and around the temples, there are too many of us.

And then there's the fact that my uncle John and his wife (and only 2 of their 5 sons) are the ONLY members of my family who have ever set foot inside an LDS temple. And we have a HUGE family, like more than 200 people, because everyone from my grandparents to my cousins and siblings all have 4 to 8 kids (except me, haven't had any)! lol. So it wouldn't make much sense for the rest of us to travel anywhere, lol.

Edited by Melissa569