I need Help

Guest Elder_Bevan

Guest Elder_Bevan

Hi, My name is Elder Darion Bevan. I am a missionary serving in the California Santa Rosa Mission. I know that there are a couple other missionaries on this site that have posted stuff. I am here to re-inforce what they have said, this is a new program of the church in its very early stages. So far it has been a very big success, the word of the lord is spreading rapidly through it, to those who might not have ever been able to here. My simple request is that anyone and everyone would do all they can to help us and get this info spread. Come check out our websites and our blogs and more importantly invite your friends. A really big thing that would help is to become a follower to my blog. I just created it and don't have many followers and the more I have the more visible my blog would be to the world. so please, missionary work is nothing without you members, even on the internet.

My blog Moderator edit: It has been mentioned that it is against site rules to include links to blogs within the body of your posts. You can include the link in your signature if you wish.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

That is cool, what are there names? maybe I know them

Elder_Bevan, you need to learn internet protocol and manners. You are acting positively atrociously!! Seriously asking for people's names (after their location has been given) on a public website? INSANE!!

HiJolly

Edited by Mahone

Guest Elder_Bevan

sorry, I am not internet affluent. Forgive of my weaknesses and the lord will forgive you. I just wanted to know if I know her. They could have just sent it in a message to me if they didn't want it public. Why are you all so against us here?

Hi Elder,

We're not against you. We're mindful of the reasons behind a lot of the unwritten rules of internet etiquette. You have a learning curve to come down, my friend.

You don't ask for people's names, or any other personal details, in a thread where anyone and their evil dog can see. If you want personal details, you send them a private message. Keep in mind - a thread is like a room with people in it where everyone can see you and what you say. And all the people are wearing masks - you don't know who they really are. It's not the right place for a private conversation.

So why am I giving you all this private information in a thread then? Well, I'm doing it so everyone and their dog reading your post won't feel the need to respond to you. You have better use of your time than to hear 10 answers to one question.

And asking "why are you all against us" sort of assumes the negative - kind of like the question "have you stopped beating your wife yet". It's off-putting. In words that a missionary would appreciate, such a question needs less sounding brass and more charity.

You'll get there. Just be receptive to learning how to not mess up.

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

Why are you all so against us here?

i would like to add my 2 cents about this. lol a lot of us on this site have been here for yrs. not only making friends but trying to share things about the church, to break though some stereotypes about us, and generally do everyday non pressured member missionary work. in some cases we have been very successful. not everyone who came here as a non member has gotten baptized but there have been some. what i consider the greater compliment is when they say things about how nice we are, how they see the church differently, that they consider us friends, etc. so here we are, doing our part to make contacts and prepare ppl to be receptive (if nothing more than just be polite) to full time missionaries like yourself and you come in on your white horse and theme music playing saying you are here to do this great work. what's to say great work wasn't already taking place? we don't need a hero. when you say "i'm an official representative of the church" you are also saying you are an "official representative of me". you imply that those of us that have been here before you working hard are "less right" in some way. collectively there is a lot of experience on this site with how to share the gospel online, basic internet etiquette, and the spirit of this specific site. in essence you have come into our home, so yes we are protective. if we can help you to be a better representative then we have done good. and yes sometimes like full time missionaries we can be bold in our speaking, doesn't mean we are against you.

Honestly? In your zeal to do the Lord's work you are being a little heavy handed. It is offputting.

Somewhat similar to missionaries you hardly know, who don't take time to greet you if they see you, no interest shown whatsoever, suddenly get in contact and push hard for contacts. One doesn't feel sincerity or trust. Indeed, it feels more liked you are being used rather than helping move the Lord's work further. I served in southern Russia, missionaries who acted like that antagonised the members when they should have been building relationships of trust. As the prophet Joseph said, who can I teach but my friends?

Try a softer approach.

sorry, I am not internet affluent.

The bold is mine.

The word is "fluent," not "affluent." I know some people don't think it's a problem for you to use improper words, grammar, etc., but I think that because you have been specifically called to communicate via the internet, you are the exception. I think it is more important that you, as compared to the average poster here, do use the language properly.

Forgive of my weaknesses and the lord will forgive you.

A few people have already explained to you that this attitude does not serve you or your mission well.

Defensively, and rudely, telling someone God will forgive him/her for doing something said to you that offends you is extremely off-putting. For some reason, you're not hearing that message. Instead of reacting defensively, look at the feedback you're getting as an opportunity to learn how to communicate better on the net. People who are responding to you have been here a long time, and they know what they're talking about.

I've yet to see anyone say something that indicates they are against you.

What I have seen is people trying to explain how your approach is a problem, but not your goal.

People are doing you a kindness by telling you when you've crossed lines that shouldn't be crossed. Be grateful for that, because you can't change your approach if you don't realize it is inappropriate. They all support you in your mission, and are criticizing your approach because they want you to succeed.

Elphaba

Many of us, as Gwen mentioned, have been posting on LDS social networks for years. We have lots of experience in detecting sincere questions and those that are sheep in wolves clothing. Let us do our part due to our years of experience.

Sometimes work that has taken us a month to do can be negated in a matter of a few sentences by someone coming in (stealing Gwen's comment) on a white horse with music blaring.

You mentioned in another thread that because this is the internet this is your area. Just because this site is on the internet doesn't make it your area. If anything, it belongs more to the members that have been with it for years and have dedicated many hours of time, research and energy in helping to explain the gospel to those with sincere questions. We are all guests on this site.

Let us do our thing and hopefully that will send people your way.

Edited by pam

what's to say great work wasn't already taking place? we don't need a hero.

This is what is bugging me the most about the online missionaries. I think the online work should be done by members -- not full-time missionaries. And I think a lot of good is being done and has been done by everyday members online. We're not floundering here.