Are you "Kinect"ed?

tubaloth

I was wondering how many people bought Kinect.

If you don't know what it is, then this thread is useless to you.

My co-worker got on Nov 4. His wife had even talking about getting a wii. He really got Kinect for his wife and kids. He got it for the voice commands.

The biggest thing is you need a lot of room. Something I hope Microsoft does fix. My Co-worker said he had 8 ft in front of his TV and even then when playing with two people he was hitting the edge.

For me being single I haven't seen a reason to move around. (Even thought I did have a wii and sold it).

I was wondering how many people bought Kinect.

If you don't know what it is, then this thread is useless to you.

My co-worker got on Nov 4. His wife had even talking about getting a wii. He really got Kinect for his wife and kids. He got it for the voice commands.

The biggest thing is you need a lot of room. Something I hope Microsoft does fix. My Co-worker said he had 8 ft in front of his TV and even then when playing with two people he was hitting the edge.

For me being single I haven't seen a reason to move around. (Even thought I did have a wii and sold it).

I'm still saving up for my HAL 9000.

We ordered it online today. I called Best Buy yesterday to see if they had it, they said yes, we went down there and they did not have it. I struggled to not get upset because it was really annoying and a long drive.

I'm getting it so that my daughters Grandma can eaily video chat with her. She won't do skype, and my daughter has a hard time sitting in from of the computer anyway. Inviting Grandma "into our living room" is a much easier way to stay connected (kinected?)!

My oldest son bought the 360 Kinect at 12:00 am the day it came out. He loves it and truth be told I even thought it was amazing-and I am not into video games. The technology is extremely cool, the one down side is that we have a smaller space than is recomended, so we either move the couch to play or aim the tv and sensors off to the side in order to be 6-10 ft away. Overall, it is seriously cool!

I'm interested to see how the Kinect takes off. There are rumors about big games adapting the technology including Mass Effect 3.

I sincerely doubt this. Fable 3 was supposed to ship with Kinect technology and Project Milo, which was possibly the coolest impossible technology ever created, was supposed to come out.

If they had delivered what they promised with Project Milo, I would have been the first to sing the praises of this. If they had integrated the ability to interact and speak with your character on Fable 3, I'd have bought an X-box 360 in an instant.

The idea of Virtual Intelligences is so radically advanced and wonderful, such a crazy and incredible technology, that I will rush out and pay whatever I have to when they have developed it, because that will be the future.

Kinect, to me, is just basically a poorly functioning Wii without the cute little Mii avatars.

It will be interesting to see where motion tracking technology used for interaction will go. I'd really like to see a good program for computers that can operate seamlessly in the background that can bind gestures and actions to various commands.

I sincerely doubt this. Fable 3 was supposed to ship with Kinect technology and Project Milo, which was possibly the coolest impossible technology ever created, was supposed to come out.

If they had delivered what they promised with Project Milo, I would have been the first to sing the praises of this. If they had integrated the ability to interact and speak with your character on Fable 3, I'd have bought an X-box 360 in an instant.

The idea of Virtual Intelligences is so radically advanced and wonderful, such a crazy and incredible technology, that I will rush out and pay whatever I have to when they have developed it, because that will be the future.

Kinect, to me, is just basically a poorly functioning Wii without the cute little Mii avatars.

There is a way to go. I doubt many thought the wii would last more then a year or two.

Wait for fable 4!

There is a way to go. I doubt many thought the wii would last more then a year or two.

Wait for fable 4!

You are really defending the Kinect hard. You wouldn't happen to have insider info, would you? ;)

'Cause if you do, tell Microsoft that Peter Molyneux was right. There were a whole horde of us eager to see the tech promised in the Project Milo demos.

Ultimately, I've been following what is now known as 'Kinect' for years and it just simply wasn't what we were promised.

I pre-ordered a Kinect on the first day GameStop would take preorders. My kids and I have had a blast playing with it, but the best is yet to come-- none of the launch games (except maybe for Dance Central) really show off what it can do. Just wait :)

And PM me if you want to play on Xbox Live, too, FTM.

You are really defending the Kinect hard. You wouldn't happen to have insider info, would you? ;)

No, but Peter said some of the Tech would be used else where. Who knows what that means, and how big Peter is on the idea it wouldn't surprise he tries to incorporate Kinect into more and more games.

'Cause if you do, tell Microsoft that Peter Molyneux was right. There were a whole horde of us eager to see the tech promised in the Project Milo demos.

For the most part that "tech" is still there. Just no games yet to support it. Which isn't surprising yet. a "Game" like Milo would take some time.

Ultimately, I've been following what is now known as 'Kinect' for years and it just simply wasn't what we were promised.

And what was promised? a Virtual Best friend?

We know voice commands work, maybe not full conversations.

we know kinect can track your movement.

we know that you can hold up something and kinect can take a picture of it. (This is used in Joy ride)

we know you can move your hand around and see a virtual hand on the screen (moving).

What are still waiting for?

True interactivity is what we were promised by Project Milo:

Reaching in to a pond to pull out various fishes.

Organic worlds that interact with you, such as teaching someone to skip a rock, or holding a conversation.

A truly immersive experience.

Instead, we have:

Fitness Evolved - Hey, if they had given me the option to jog through Rome or Paris or Yellowstone, I'd have said 'Sign me up!'. Instead, they have a poorly functioning virtual trainer that isn't that great at monitoring your body.

Kinectimals - What Project Milo would have been if Milo lost all personality, became a cat and you had the benefit of a constant voiceover by someone with all the irritating qualities of Barbara Streisand and Elmo.

Kinect Joy Ride - It's a 3rd person driving game through unrealistic cartoony landscapes! HURRAY!

Kinect Sports - Sports title. No personality. Haven't tried it as it lacks story and character.

Dance Central - See last comment.

EA Sports Active 2 - See last two comments

Deca Sports Freedom - See last three comments

Dance Masters - See last four comments

Adrenalin Misfits - See last five comments

Zumba Fitness - See last six comments

The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout - I have to admit, I haven't seen this. It appeals to me, too - If you're going to do Wii Fit, do it with personality. Hopefully, this isn't as terrible as the other workout program.

Sonic Free Riders - It's a racing game through unrealistic, cartoony landscapes. HURRAY!

Motion Sports - Yet another sports title with no personality. Meh.

Game Party - Haven't tried it.

What it boils down to is this:

The launch games are all either a sports game, a cartoony race game or a fitness game, with the exception of Kinectimals, which is so far below the technological promises of Project Milo that it's underwhelming. The launch was simply terrible. Maybe games will improve. Based on what they've provided, I have little hope, however.

No, but Peter said some of the Tech would be used else where. Who knows what that means, and how big Peter is on the idea it wouldn't surprise he tries to incorporate Kinect into more and more games.

For the most part that "tech" is still there. Just no games yet to support it. Which isn't surprising yet. a "Game" like Milo would take some time.

And what was promised? a Virtual Best friend?

We know voice commands work, maybe not full conversations.

we know kinect can track your movement.

we know that you can hold up something and kinect can take a picture of it. (This is used in Joy ride)

we know you can move your hand around and see a virtual hand on the screen (moving).

What are still waiting for?

Knowing the limitations of current software and the nature of tech demos, the launch of Kinect was pretty much as I expected and I am happy with my purchase.

Of course there isn't going to be a fully featured interactive and immersive world at launch since it would take years of development. No company would commit to that on an unproven platform and even if they had to desire to do that the Kinect hardware and firmware was likely changing right up until release.

In my opinion what Microsoft promised was hardware and that is what they successfully delivered. The software will come and even if it doesn't come through the XBox, people have already reverse engineered drivers to connect your Kinect to a PC and do very cool things.