Consecrating Oil

MichaelPAGuy

Hello all...I just recently received the Melchizedek Priesthood back. I was wondering, What are the steps for consecrating the oil that is used for blessings?

The procedure is quite simple but oh so important as you already know. You first select a good grade of pure Olive oil. Then take the cap off the bottle and make sure it also has the barrier that usually goes inside the cap that forms a leak barrier is off as well. Then you and another Elder or you can do it by yourself, raise your right arm or left if you don't have use of the right arm. Raise it to the square, address Heavenly Father and state your authority and then consecrate the oil (not the bottle of oil) and dedicate it to the anointing of the sick and afflicted in the household of faith and in the name of Jesus Christ. If you are unsure, you can have your home teacher help you or the missionaries or any elder in the church.

I would suggest that you might go to your meetinghouse this Wednesday or what ever night your youth have their meetings and get with a member of the Bishopric or the Elders if they are around or the Ward Clerk and ask them for help in consecrating the oil. Any one of them will be glad to help.

I hope this helps you and welcome to the Eldership of the church.

I

Hello all...I just recently received the Melchizedek Priesthood back. I was wondering, What are the steps for consecrating the oil that is used for blessings?

If I were you I would notify my elder's Quorum President and ask him to help you consecrate oil for blessings. It is best to learn from those apointed to teach you.

The Traveler

Traveler makes a good suggestion. The Elders Quorum presidency is responsible for teaching you about priesthood ordinances, including the consecration of oil. I recommend talking to him and asking for a copy of The Family Guidebook.

The procedure is quite simple but oh so important as you already know. You first select a good grade of pure Olive oil. Then take the cap off the bottle and make sure it also has the barrier that usually goes inside the cap that forms a leak barrier is off as well. Then you and another Elder or you can do it by yourself, raise your right arm or left if you don't have use of the right arm. Raise it to the square, address Heavenly Father and state your authority and then consecrate the oil (not the bottle of oil) and dedicate it to the anointing of the sick and afflicted in the household of faith and in the name of Jesus Christ.

I think it might be best to keep it simple. There are a couple of things stated in this response that are not accurate. I quote from the Family Guidebook (which is exactly what is written in official Church leadership manuals)

One or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders may consecrate pure olive oil and set it apart for the purpose of anointing the sick. No other oil may be used. To consecrate oil, a priesthood bearer:

1. Holds an open container of olive oil.

2. Addresses our Heavenly Father.

3. States that the ordinance is performed by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

4. Consecrates the oil for the blessing and anointing of the sick.

5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

i'm not sure i like all the "details" written here. particularly when they may not be the easiest to explain in writing (as pointed out by 2 posts already contradicting). wouldn't the best response simply be, "talk to the el quorum pres or bishop"?

in our branch there is a bottle kept in the clerk's office, not sure when they consecrate it but i know the branch pres takes care of it. the few brethren we have that hold the mel. priesthood are supplied with a small bottle (about the size of re-wetting drops for contact lenses) they can bring in to refill as needed. we are a small area so it doesn't get used a lot, i think everyone using from the same bottle helps to use it up before it goes rancid. lol but i may be being to practical in that thought, i've never asked them about it.

Margin of Error's quote is correct. Below is the entire section from LDS.org on this.

------------------

Consecration of Oil

One or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders must consecrate olive oil before it is used to anoint the sick or afflicted. No other oil may be used. To do this, a priesthood holder:

1. Holds an open container of olive oil.

2. Addresses Heavenly Father.

3. States that he is acting by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

4. Consecrates the oil (not the container) and sets it apart for anointing and blessing the sick and afflicted.

• Have each Melchizedek Priesthood holder consecrate some olive oil for himself and for others in the class who may need some in their home.

Only Melchizedek Priesthood holders may administer to the sick or afflicted. Administering to the sick has two parts: (1) anointing with oil and (2) sealing the anointing.

The anointing is done by one Melchizedek Priesthood holder. He:

Administering to the Sick

1. Puts a small amount of consecrated oil on the person’s head.

2. Places his hands lightly on the person’s head and calls the person by his or her full name.

3. States that he is acting by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

4. States that he is anointing with consecrated oil.

Normally, two or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders place their hands lightly on the person’s head. The one who seals the anointing:

1. Calls the person by his or her full name.

2. States that he is acting by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

3. Seals the anointing.

4. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.

If a person requests more than one blessing for the same illness, the priesthood holder usually does not need to anoint with oil after the first blessing. Instead, he gives a blessing by the laying on of hands and the authority of the priesthood.

------------------------end quote

Here is a link to the same info:

LDS.org - Aaronic Priesthood Chapter Detail - Performing Priesthood Ordinances

I don't see any need to talk to the EQ pres or the Bishop unles you want to. About once a year we would consecrate oil in Elders Q. and provide small bottles to put some in for each Q member. You might ask your leaders to do that, but don't feel like you have to be supervised by one of your leaders when consecrating oil or annointing / blessing. This is something we can do totally on our own whenever we are moved by the spirit or when someone asks for a blessing.

All the information you need is right there on the Church web site. Just follow the instructions and you are good to go. It isn't like a baptism where it must be performed exactly, word for word with witnesses and recorded in the church records. Just follow the main points as listed. Also if you want or need to give a blessing without oil that is fine too. Just don't do the anointing part of the blessing and don't "seal" the anointing (skip step 3 in the actual blessing section) when you give the blessing.

Also if you cannot find another Melchizedek priesthood holder to help you you can do the consecrating of the oil, the anointing and the blessing yourself. Notice how it doesn't say it MUST be performed by two or more M. Priesthood holders it says "Normally, two or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders place their hands lightly on the person’s head." Don't forgo giving a blessing just because you can't find someone to help you, but if you can then it is best to involve at least one additional M. Priesthood holder.

I would add that there is no need to consecrate an entire bottle of olive oil. A small medicine bottle that is clean with or without a dropper type top, or virtually any water tight container that would hold a few ounces of the oil works well. 2 or three ounces will last a LONG time since all you use is a small drop on the crown of the head each time you perform a blessing.

I keep mine in the fridge and warm it up in a bowl of hot water when needed. It will last many years in the fridge. Replace it when it starts to smell significantly different than it did when you first opened it (gone rancid). There is no procedure required for throwing it out, just be respectful in how you handle it. I just pour it into a ziploc bag so it won't be leaking out of the trash bag and throw it in the trash or you can pour it down the drain. Mixing it with hot soapy water will make it less likely to congeal in the pipes during the winter. You can also keep it in the freezer where it will not go rancid for decades, but it would take a while to defrost, so some in the fridge, on your keychain or on the shelf plus a larger container in the freezer is another way to go.

The keychain fobs that hold oil are also nice to have. That way you always have some with you. If you keep your keys in your pocket, the heat from your body will cause the oil to go rancid faster than if it is in the fridge or on a shelf so check it maybe twice a year and replace it if it starts to smell bad.

Edited by WindRiver