Could we live without electricity?

WyomingEMT

Well, since humanity has been living without it for thousands of years, and only this brief century or two has seen us with it, the obvious answer is yes. But it wouldn't be life that many of us recognize, unless we're very close to stories our great grandparents told.

Electricity powers pumps that fill gas tanks of trucks that fill grocery store shelves. Electricity powers machines that refine oil into gas. Modern large farms don't produce food without electricity. Electricity runs pumps that get water to our houses. Depending on where you live, modern homes are not designed to be lived in without heating and/or cooling - which rely on electricity.

Going without electricity short term is doable. Long term, and we're back to 1800's style living.

LM

Quite honestly, I wish that would happen here, just occasionally.

My life (like everyone elses) is surrounded completely by electronics, and sometimes I wish we had a powercut that would last all day and force me to take a break :)

Unfortunately I don't think we've had even a minor powercut in the area I live in for at least three or four years now.

Yes, Yes, Yes....LOL It's really possible to live without electricity. People in our area do it all the time. We live near a very large Amish community and they do just fine without electricity every day of their lives.

Our family has also lived without electricity and I think we were actually happier for not having it. When we first moved to where we live now, we didn't have any electricity for the first 6 months. (We were building a home and doing most of the work ourselves.) At first, we wondered exactly what to do with our free time, but it didn't take long before we found very constructive ways to spend it - more reading, more outdoor activities (plus a lot of our normal chores - like laundry or washing dishes - had to be done differently).

It's not really so bad as people might think it would be. Once you get rid of all the electronic distractions life can really open up for you.

I like the comment by (peaceroserest) concerning the Amish. I have seen movies and TV programs about this amazing group of people. There culture is geared around not having electricity. I however expect the lights to come on in the bathroom every morning when I get ready for work. heck, I had trouble finding a good flashlight to use the bathroom that night the lights went out. What I need is a big generator, lots of gas and a chain to secure my new generator to my house when I buy it.

I think that we would adjust to it but right away if something happened for us to be without electricity it would be hard on most people. We just aren't equipped or trained on how to do things without electricity. We are strong and intelligent people and would figure things out eventually though. Part of my emergency preparation has been learning how to do things without electricity. My mom is even on the lookout for a tredle sewing machine. Its good to know how to do many things. :)