Jacob 5:33-35

pam

Reference Search: Jacob 5:33-35

33 And the Lord of the vineyard said unto the servant: What shall we do unto the tree, that I may preserve again good fruit thereof unto mine own self?

34 And the servant said unto his master: Behold, because thou didst graft in the branches of the wild olive-tree they have nourished the roots, that they are alive and they have not perished; wherefore thou beholdest that they are yet good.

35 And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard said unto his servant: The tree profiteth me nothing, and the roots thereof profit me nothing so long as it shall bring forth evil fruit.

Quotes for Discussion

“Tree profiteth me nothing”

Lineage is almost insignificant when righteousness is absent. Of what value to be of a noble family when one is not noble? “For they are not all Israel,” Paul warned, “which are of Israel” (Romans 9:6).

Millet & McConkie, Doctrinal Commentary on the BOM, Vol. 2, p. 60

The master is concerned that the roots are now supporting branches that bring forth evil fruit; or in other words, the Lord is disappointed that the people grafted into the covenant have turned away to doing evil works.

John L. Fowles, The Book of Mormon—Tenth Annual Symposium [Provo, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1986], 34