Inexpensive food for a party?

lizzy12

So, I'm having a after-Christmas-but-before-new-years-eve-party. I have the activities planned- glow in the dark volleyball, charades, karaoke, spoons ect.

And, I'm having it at the church, in the gym. We have access to the kitchen as well.

I'm inviting 35 people. (also, I was just going to have my mother their..do you think other supervision is needed? I trust each of these individuals..and theres a nice mix of quiet band people in with some loud drama kids..)

What kind of food could i have? I don't want anything too celebrate, costly or anything that needs tons of time to eat..I also don't want to have to sit to eat this food..(there will be tables and such..but not for eating.)

Pizza gets expensive...

any ideas?

and some kind of dessert too...

Hot Dogs and generic chips can be pretty cheap and for desert you could do something like generic popsicles, though those are cheaper in the summer than right now. When you go to the store keep an eye out for things on sale. Or you could do something like day old donuts from the grocery bakery (or clearance cake or what have you), if worried warm them up in the microwave and put a scoop of generic vanilla or chocolate ice cream over top. Or floats with generic soda, that should be cheap as a desert too.

Edited by Dravin

Its going to be super cold here. So Popsicle would be out.

And i despise Hot dogs :)

ice cream sounds good though....although..whats so summery about popsicles and not about ice cream. hmm

Ask the stores. During the height of summer season you can find bags of 18 count twin pops for a buck or so. I don't seem to find the same thing happening with ice cream (as in % of discount). As far as despising hot-dogs, most of them are going to be eaten by your guests. Depends how much costs is a consideration for you I suppose. And yes, I would purchase and consume something for a party even if it wasn't something I particularly liked if it was very cheap. Of course I'm a rather frugal fellow.

Though this will probably be more effective to list any foods you won't be willing to eat even if they are cheap. For instance tuna salad is fairly cheap, but may not be what you are looking for. And something tells me Ramen eaten out of mugs is probably something you wouldn't want to go for.

Actually there are a lot of sandwich ideas. One I like to do is take a loaf of French bread and slice it in half, layer on roast beef and provolone (though roast beef isn't the cheapest meat, you could do ham or turkey and cheddar I suppose) and toast it in the oven at 400 degrees or so (face side up on both sides then put it back together after you pull it out). Then heat up some beef broth to do French dip. Though that could be tricky to eat standing up (though doable if you slice it small and put the soup into mugs). If you got the ham/turkey and cheddar route I recommend tomato soup instead.

Edited by Dravin

I'm frugal..but do ppl like hot dogs?

It's a fairly popular food item. Though quality widely varies, your cheap hot dogs are pretty much tube baloney. I tend to be a hot dog snob when I can but it's camping fair I grew up on so a Bar-S or an Oscar Meyer Turkey Cheese dog has a certain nostalgia factor. Though I do prefer a bratwurst or a polish sausage over a beef hot dog such as a Nathan's, Hebrew National or deli dog.

Edited by Dravin

lizzy12 are you looking for finger foods or just reg food. Hot dogs would not be bad and then have other foods for the healthy types or those like you :) who just can not eat a hot dog. You can go to mmmmm ok a place where you buy bulk foods and buy fruits trays and veg already made up or buy bulk bags and make your own trays. Ranch Dressing makes a cheap dressing for veggie dip and sour cream, pwdered sugar, and little cream makes a good dip for fruits. Little smokies wrapped in biscuit dough make a great finger food and can be served with a choice of mustard, mayo, nacho cheese, or a chili and cheese dip. Hot Wings is another thing you can serve. You can also buy one serving bags of chips of all kinds. This way they can pick up a bag of their favorite chip. Cake is cheap to make and can be fixed up with any budget.

I am like the others though. :) Hot dogs would go along way for the guys. Sounds like you have a good party planned. I would have maybe a few more adults at least to help keep the food going. :) so you can be at your own party/ ok, guilty. I would also have older priesthood there.

-Having only your mother there should be fine- just make sure people don't wander off!

-So, inexpensive food, that you don't need tables for, that's not complicated to prepare? That is a tall order!

I don't think it would be too difficult to set up a few tables and eat spaghetti (everybody loves spaghetti, it's cheap and easy to make, and you don't have to worry about vegetarians/vegans).

If you really don't want tables, then maybe you can set up a buffet (I don't know how old you are, or if you're cooking this yourself, so I'll just throw out suggestions: garlic bread, pita and hummus dip, cut up vegetables, cut up fruit, pasta salad, chicken drumsticks, sloppy joes, hawaiian haystacks, rice and chili). This stuff might be hard to eat standing up, but because you're all young people, I'm certain you'll sit on the floor, the edge of the stage, or chairs).

I'm a poor student and will sometimes serve breakfast at night, because it's cheap: eggs, pancakes made from scratch, and fruit can cost very little.

As for desserts, if you're hosting this after Christmas, there should be a ton of goodies on sale at the grocery store or walmart.

-This sounds like such a fun event and I hope it's very successful!

Why not make it easy on yourself and have it be a "Bring your favorite holiday treat" kind of thing as well. Just because you are are hosting the party and making all the other plans, your guests can help out. You provide the plates, napkins and punch.

Edited by pam

I like Pam's idea. Have everyone bring (1) holiday food treat. But if you're still wanting to do a dinner type thing, I say hot dogs are always winners (I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat that stuff period!) but many people do. I personally would stay away from spaghetti because it's messy. And messier if it gets on the floor and smeared around from people stepping on it.

You can also go to a day-old bread place and get several bags of French bread. Slice long ways and make pizzas with can spag sauce. Add cheese and then make some plain, some with Hamburger and with bulk sausage that has been cooked off before hand. The good thing is this can be eaten at anytime.

I do like Pam's suggested. Share the expense and the fun. :) Since you are having alot of games you might make the food a game. Everything has to have a certain ingredient. :) I mean desserts also.

I've always wanted to do a peanut butter and jelly sandwich station. Different kinds of breads, different kinds of peanut butter and jelly, maybe throw in some honey, nutella and bananas in to the mix. It would be fun. People can make their own, eat it easy and it's yummy.

Is it tacky telling them to bring food?

I thought of that originally but then i was like..hmmm

It's not tacky at all. I've been to numerous parties hosted at homes etc that asked us to bring a dish.

Is it tacky telling them to bring food?

I thought of that originally but then i was like..hmmm

It's not tacky, but in my opinion, a potluck is not ideal for young people. Maybe some parents will send their children with actual dishes, but many teenagers (if that's the age bracket) will just bring a bag of chips, maybe some pop, maybe some cookies. It'll be pretty unpredictable with 30 people.

(In my family ward, potlucks are always delicious and full of great dishes. In my YSA ward, not so much, and people bring random things like frozen waffles with no syrup, or bring nothing at all)

It's not tacky, but in my opinion, a potluck is not ideal for young people. Maybe some parents will send their children with actual dishes, but many teenagers (if that's the age bracket) will just bring a bag of chips, maybe some pop, maybe some cookies. It'll be pretty unpredictable with 30 people.

(In my family ward, potlucks are always delicious and full of great dishes. In my YSA ward, not so much, and people bring random things like frozen waffles with no syrup, or bring nothing at all)

Sounds like typical teenager party food and quite appropriate.

So, I'm having a after-Christmas-but-before-new-years-eve-party. I have the activities planned- glow in the dark volleyball, charades, karaoke, spoons ect.

And, I'm having it at the church, in the gym. We have access to the kitchen as well.

I'm inviting 35 people. (also, I was just going to have my mother their..do you think other supervision is needed? I trust each of these individuals..and theres a nice mix of quiet band people in with some loud drama kids..)

What kind of food could i have? I don't want anything too celebrate, costly or anything that needs tons of time to eat..I also don't want to have to sit to eat this food..(there will be tables and such..but not for eating.)

Pizza gets expensive...

any ideas?

and some kind of dessert too...

for fast food? probably little caesar's 5 dollar large pizza specials.

If you want to put time into making something that's usually the cheapest $$-wise.

Sandwitches tend to be easy and quick to do.

Bread, 1-2 types of meat, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, onionsl, butter..

then off to the side you can have ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles that people can put on if they want.

Edited by Blackmarch