Is it okay to date one's hometeacher?

If you are both single I don't see anything wrong with dating each other. However, speaking as a High Priest Group Leader, I would counsel that the Home Teacher should bring the fact that he is now dating one of the people that he home teaches to the attention of his Priesthood leaders and suggest that someone else be assigned as your Home Teacher. This will help to prevent any awkward situations from occurring and/or any misconceptions on anyone's part. In any case all things should be done with wisdom and discernment.

Edited by KeithLBrown

I think you need to clarify what situation you're in, but at any rate, I'll be the one to say it's not okay. If you're in a family ward, it's less apprehensible, provided he removes himself from being your home teacher after you start dating. If you're in college, don't do it. It will only make the whole FHE group awkward, and if/when you guys break up, it ruins the group even further. Don't do it. If you're in college, there are tons of other guys running around- give one of them a chance.

If your age on your profile is correct and if you are in a family ward I for sure would say don't do it. Single sisters in a family ward usually are assigned to the High Priests. I would assume that a high priest would be considerably older than yourself.

I also have to agree with apollyon if in college with the whole FHE thing.

If you like him and think there's a potential for a relationship, then go for it. What a shame it would be if you missed out on a great opportunity, possibly even finding your future husband, but were scared away just because he was your home teacher. If it gets awkward just talk to the EQP or HPGL and ask for a change.

That is how my nephew and his wife met. He was her home teacher and since he wasn't very perceptive to her feelings about him, she did all the asking. They have been married five and a half years and are expecting their 3rd child any day now. :)

M.

Wouldn't it get awkward?

The answer is quite simple. If he is completely single and you are too, then there isn't a problem. Do the usual things: Pray about it and see if the Lord thinks it's a good idea. Ultimately, for every set of circumstances where this would usually be a bad thing, there are going to be some cases where this is exactly the way it was supposed to work out. Many single adults have trouble enough finding a worthy spouse without adding a bunch of extra rules to the game.

If he isn't single, then the advice is also quite obvious: Don't be an idiot, no it isn't appropriate under any circumstances.

Biggest problem is that you didn't provide much detail. Are you in a singles ward? Family ward? Is there a significant age difference? Has the gentleman in question been married before? Is the attraction mutual, or is this only one-way attraction (as far as you know)? Is this about you or somebody else? Is this just hypothetical?

• 2 weeks later...

Single sisters in a family ward usually are assigned to the High Priests.

Huh? Assigned for romance? :eek: For home teaching? Also, aren't home teachers of the same sex? If the missionaries can't come in without someone else being there, how can home teachers come in?

Pardon my ignorance on these points.

Huh? Assigned for romance? :eek: For home teaching?

Assigned for home teaching. Why would you think they would be assigned for romance?

Also, aren't home teachers of the same sex?

No, home teachers are always male as it's a priesthood responsibility. Visiting teachers are always female as it's a Relief Society function.

If the missionaries can't come in without someone else being there, how can home teachers come in?

Because Missionaries abide stricter standards than everyone else.