Any comment on verse Act 3:13 ?

Gerasim

The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.

Yyyyyyes. That's a bad thing, that he was denied in the presence of Pilate when Pilate wanted to let him go?

Okay, so my comment... 'That's a bad thing'.

However, I would guess that you have a pretty specific reason for bringing up this particular verse. Care to elaborate on what you're looking for in this conversation so that you don't have twelve responses of, 'Bad.' 'Yep, that was bad.' 'Totally not good.' 'On a scale of one to ten, I'd say it was bad.'?

Sounds like he might be thinking that since we believe the God of Abraham and Isaac to have been Jehovah (Christ) that the scripture somehow contradicts this line of thinking.

You forget to add ''and of Jacob''.

The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.

OK. Tell me, do you realy see that the scripture somehow contradicts this line of thinking, as you have sad. Can you explain it ? Like to learn more !

I'd hate to be on the recieving end of that verse....

Without reading the surrounding verses that sounds like it was directed to the Jews.

Luke was a Gentile who joined the Church after the death of Christ. He is the author of Acts. It was very common for the Gentiles to directly and completely blame the Jews for Jesus' death, since it took the responsibility and blame off of the Romans (Gentiles).

Remember, Luke was writing from second and third hand sources, including from Mark and Q. But he spun it in a way to interest his friend Greek friendTheophilus, to whom the history was written.

Because the other translations are less accurate and there is no real English translation for the word which really means both son and servant. The word according to Strong's Concordance can mean either son or servant. But compare to Acts 4:27 and Acts 4:30 which refer to Jesus as the "Holy" Son/Servant. So, I don't think this verse is specifically about Jesus being the Son of God, but the later verses show a much stronger implication to using the word in conjunction with Jesus' divine nature. It is really about him being both the Son of God as well as the servant to mankind by using His name to heal the sick and bless the poor (See Acts 3:26).

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

Edited by bytebear

Because the other translations are less accurate and there is no real English translation for the word which really means both son and servant. The word according to Strong's Concordance can mean either son or servant. But compare to Acts 4:27 and Acts 4:30 which refer to Jesus as the "Holy" Son/Servant. So, I don't think this verse is specifically about Jesus being the Son of God, but the later verses show a much stronger implication to using the word in conjunction with Jesus' divine nature. It is really about him being both the Son of God as well as the servant to mankind by using His name to heal the sick and bless the poor (See Acts 3:26).

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

See how much easier that was when you asked what you were actually thinking rather than simply saying, 'Here's a verse. Comment on it!'

The "Suffering Servant" was a Messianic theme that dated back to Isaiah (see ch 53 for an example). Messiah Ben Judah (Savior, son of Judah) was to come to earth and suffer for man's sins.

Early Jews and Christians believed in the Divine Council of Heaven. This consisted of El Elyon/Elohim as the chief God, and his divine sons (bene 'elohim). The chief Son was Jehovah, who was given Israel as his nation to rule over as divine king, under Elohim's direction. Jehovah is directly tied to the Messiah role by Old Testament scholar Margaret Barker, who then equates Jehovah and Jesus Christ.

So, Christ is both Suffering Servant AND obedient Son.

No, I mean Messiah ben Judah. Messiah ben Joseph is considered to be an entirely different person by many. Messiah Son of Joseph would not apply to someone who was of the lineage of Judah.

While Messiah ben Joseph also is considered a suffering servant, his main task is to restore that which is lost. Messiah ben Judah redeems from sin and suffering. Isaiah 53 speaks of the descendant of Judah, not of Joseph, as a suffering servant.

I also think the word "servant" is a decent one, because that is what the Son came to do is serve. I think the Jewish-Christians of this era were putting it all together concerning the Messiah, and as Rameumptom noted the tie with the OT prophecy Suffering Servant was a good one. There is an astoniishing enormous amount of materials on the Suffering Servant. I once began doing some research on it, and was very quickly overwhelmed. I think I shall continue on with it however.