Need help to convince wife...

captmoroniRM

that garland tinsel is a perfectly acceptable Christmas Tree component. Thoughts?

You need more than help. It is impossible to gain anything important with your spouse when you cannot agree on such obvious things. My advise is to make sure your wife knows, without doubt, if she or garland tinsel is more important to you and which you world rather not have around for Christmas and which (if any) you could never do without.

The Traveler

You're going way to far on this decoration thing sir. My '68 model aluminim Christmas tree with the spinning color wheel is the coolest! No tangled lights. A hand full of faded air fresheners from the truck rearview mirror for your ornaments and you're good to go! Total cost.....$16. Starting the Christmas season by killing Fluffy is going to instantly put you on the "naughty" list with the wife. No cookies or milk for you bud. :(

I happen to like garland tinsel. There are some gorgeous ones out there. I hope people aren't confusing garland tinsel with the aluminum icecicles. The icecicles you find months later.

Edited by pam

You're going way to far on this decoration thing sir. My '68 model aluminim Christmas tree with the spinning color wheel is the coolest! No tangled lights. A hand full of faded air fresheners from the truck rearview mirror for your ornaments and you're good to go! Total cost.....$16. Starting the Christmas season by killing Fluffy is going to instantly put you on the "naughty" list with the wife. No cookies or milk for you bud. :(

Man I wish I had one of those. Kind of nostalgic because that's what I grew up with.

I happen to like garland tinsel. There are some gorgeous ones out there. I hope people aren't confusing garland tinsel with the aluminum icecicles. The icecicles you find months later.

Ok, EVERGREEN garland would be accetable around a doorway or down a banister, but why would someone put evergreen garland on an evergreen Christmas tree. Filling in the visible gaps?

OP: Take pictures. Let's clarify :) Although if your wife is saying no she's probably right, haha.

Edited by pam

The problem I have with these kinds of threads is this. Everyone has different tastes and different likes. Some are limited by budgets and decorate the best they can with funds availability. Some even use different things based on sentimentality and what they grew up with. Some are quite creative in making what some would state is tacky and turning it into something beautiful. Some string popcorn and use it as garland. Whether that is based on like or budget constraints I think it's inappropriate to tell someone it's tacky. Then there are some that just plain out like it. Then we have those who follow culture. Might seem tacky to us but not to them.

To tell someone they are wrong or something is tacky can come off as offensive to those that might fall into any of these situations.

Isn't more the issue of this thread really about how a couple can come to some kind of a compromise in their likes and dislikes?

Edited by pam

Pam, you're ruining our fun.

We're taking this thread as nothing but tinsel. Nothing serious. The way the post was presented tells me that the OP knows how his relationship with his wife should work.

Pam, you're ruining our fun.

We're taking this thread as nothing but tinsel. Nothing serious. The way the post was presented tells me that the OP knows how his relationship with his wife should work.

No I'm reading this as a moderator would and looking at all sides. There were no emoticons used in the majority of the responses. Written word is hard to decipher at times. You sometimes have to think of others that may be reading this as well.

Edited by pam

We also recycle and use the Easter basket grass which is safer that tinsel on the tree and still provides the year round supply thing found in the carpet, couch cushions, flower garden and all other places within a 25 mile radius. Does anyone have any theories about how the tinsel and Easter basket grass just doesn't ever go away no matter how much you clean? Do the tinsel-Easter grass fairy's come out when we are at work and throw it all over the property??? :0