Why can't black be beautiful?

beefche

The color black is divine but it comes under fire when Religious nutters say things like black is of the devil and "the blackness of Hell" now every old school Religious nut job is out calling black as the mark of the beast. For me however i dont care what others say i wear black clothing all the time and love the black rose. its more like an individual statement.

I like black myself. I wear it quite often. Mix that with red..wow...I love it.

Religious nutters say things like black is of the devil and "the blackness of Hell"

I kind of had to chuckle over this. Not at you but at the statement itself. I belong to a singing group that our main purpose is to testify of Christ and the atonement through music. Our attire? Concert black.

I love black, it a great color, or lack there of. But I love black for its slimming effects. Either way though I think the roses you posted are beautiful! Truthfully if it was left up to me I would probably dress in monotone, blacks and whites. I love the contrast. But probably thankfully for me, the rest of my family has more fashion sense than I do and they encourage me to wear other colors.

Who says black can't be beautiful? Black IS beautiful...

Coelogyne pandurata is called the "Black Orchid" because of its pure black tongue.

Posted Image

Photo courtesy of Orchid flower spEciEs

But two of my holy grail of orchids are:

Grammatophyllum stapelliflorum

Posted Image

Maxillaria schunkeana

Posted Image

Photo courtesy of Orchid-Nord

All of these flowers are native to the Philippines.

Edited by Dravin
Resized an image.

Actually, the way I remember the saying from the 60's and 70's is that "Black is beautiful." It was a very popular T-shirt saying back then.

I think all colors are beautiful. Yes, I know that black is not technically considered to be a color, but without it we would have no shades of color (like burgundy red - which just happens to be my favorite). = )

Actually, the way I remember the saying from the 60's and 70's is that "Black is beautiful." It was a very popular T-shirt saying back then.

I think all colors are beautiful. Yes, I know that black is not technically considered to be a color, but without it we would have no shades of color (like burgundy red - which just happens to be my favorite). = )

Back in the 70's the term "Black is Beautiful" was meant in an entirely different context. But I think they had the right idea because I think it's beautiful.

It is interesting to me how science courses change things. I remember learning that on the light spectrum black is the absense of color while white contains all colors. However when you get into art and color tones and shades white and black play an entirely different role. I like what PeaceRoseRest has to say about that, without black you can't get some of the darker colors, which are some of my favorites.

I can't say about the light spectrum but I do know when my boys were young they liked mixing all of the different flavored soda's together, orange, cherry, grape, sprite, lemonaid and several more. What it finally looked like was a very dark brown, almost black liquid so in the soda spectrum all colors together make black and after a double-dog dare from my oldest son to take a sip I did and it was quite tasty I must admit. :) I love black and I love people of all colors and sizes.

I can't say about the light spectrum but I do know when my boys were young they liked mixing all of the different flavored soda's together, orange, cherry, grape, sprite, lemonaid and several more. What it finally looked like was a very dark brown, almost black liquid so in the soda spectrum all colors together make black and after a double-dog dare from my oldest son to take a sip I did and it was quite tasty I must admit. :) I love black and I love people of all colors and sizes.

I know it seems weird since from a artistic view of things all colors mixed together often make black, and no color makes white. But in the light spectrum white is all colors and black is no color. Strange but true. Like I said, science changes so many things.

Black can't be beautiful because in the light spectrum, it absorbs all of the various wavelengths of light, so it is not reflecting anything to be "seen".

We think of leaves as "green". Well, technically, leaves absorb many light colors, but reflect green light the most, so they appear green. But they are not truly "green". What we perceive as color is the light being reflected.

Black simply can't be beautiful precisely because it represents an absence of visual feedback. Anyone ever been in a cave and turned out the lights and called the effect "beautiful"? I thought not. Black is only attractive in the contrast it brings to other visual stimuli.

ryan, you are so unromantic. Don't you know that dark caves are VERY attractive? Where else can you totally smooch on your honey with others around but clueless about what is happening just 2 feet away? :P

Well, if we take this to a lights on or lights off debate . . . . perhaps the lack of reflected light isn't such a bad thing at all!