Good 72 hour Kit for Family?

tubaloth

Got this idea to get a 72 hour kit for my sister and her family.

I did a quick google search and man there are a lot out there with different prices.

I guess I'm looking at one for 4 people. (even though there is 5 in the family)

Not sure if its easier to buy one for 4 people or do two for 2 people?

Anybody have one that seems like a good deal... or a good kit?

Got this idea to get a 72 hour kit for my sister and her family.

I did a quick google search and man there are a lot out there with different prices.

I guess I'm looking at one for 4 people. (even though there is 5 in the family)

Not sure if its easier to buy one for 4 people or do two for 2 people?

Anybody have one that seems like a good deal... or a good kit?

Keep in mind that trying to do one 72 hour kit for an entire family can get quite heavy for one person to have to carry for any length of period if necessary. Just my opinion, I would split it up into 2.

I've put ours together bit by bit on a budget. It's a hodge-podge of old suitcases and duffle bags and a camping backpack I've had since 1985. It will work just fine for us if we're staying put, or driving somewhere. It won't work at all if we have to travel anywhere on foot. Bedding is very heavy - especially for colorado winter mountain weather.

After looking at a couple of these sites and looking at what they have for "Family" Emergency Kit. The food option tends to be some high calorie bar. Other small things they would put in I started to feel like maybe I could put my own kit together. Remember this isn't for me, I'm trying to build an emergency kit as a gift for my Sister and her family.

From a web site they had a Family kit for 4 people and one for 5 people. I tried to kind of join them together and I came up with this list. (Adding in things I need).

Food and Water

24 - water pouches with 4.227oz. (125ml) each

4 - 2400 Calorie Food Bar (divides into 3-day supply)

Some other Meal for Dinner for 3 days (for 4 people)

Either a 4 Gallon or 5 Gallon bucket. Depends on if we want it to be used as a toilet (does cost a little more for the seat)

1 - optional toilet seat, snaps onto bucket to stay securely in place

12 - toilet liner waste bags

1 - pairs of heavy duty leather gloves

4 - emergency blanket to stay warm

4 - packs of tissue paper (7-pack each) (not sure what this is?)

5- emergency rain poncho (unisize) (does unisize fit kids)?

1- Package (Latex) gloves

2- emergency whistle with string, compass, shrill sound ?

1 - flashlights D-size with batteries

1 - LED Shake flashlight (maybe 2)

4- 12 hour glow light sticks, green

1 - AM/FM crank-radio, Solar, battery Radio (this probably costs more, but might be worth it)

1 - box cutter type knife (some type of knife)

1 - box with waterproof matches

1 - tooth paste

4 - tooth brushes

4 - terry cloth towels (12" x 12" approx. size) This would be nice but not sure if its need?

30 - wet wipes

1 - 48-piece First Aid Kit in sturdy plastic case

1 Bar of Soap

1 Bottle of Hand Sanitizer

I honestly feel like Most of this stuff I can even get at Walmart, or at some outdoor place. (Sportsmanswarehouse)

Here are some questions I have.

1. I like the idea of using the 5 gallon bucket as a toilet. I think I should be able to find the bucket anywhere. Anybody know of places that sell the seat and the bags I guess?

4 People BUCKET BUDDY 72 Hour Survival Kit

2. It said 4 packages of Tissue paper. Do you think this is tolet paper in some other unknown form?

3. Whats the best option for Food/Dinner. I didn't mind the power bars. But my goal was to provide dinner (in some freeze dried option) for 4 people for 3 days. I have a feeling this could kill my budget. I know they do make some meals like this for two people.

Any idea?

4. Do emergency rain poncho fit kits? The youngest (of my sister) is 2 years old. The oldest kit is almost 9 years old.

5. Any suggestions on a good Radio. I wanted it to be Solar, and hand powered, but also use batteries. Also some flash lights, that probably don't need batteries?

Thanks

I have set up a Excel document with all of this in, right now I'm trying to see what the costs would be (with taxes and shipping). The bigger stuff I might send to my sister, like water and food, but most of the rest is pretty small and I can buy local and send it off. I'll share everything I find at the end.

Edited by tubaloth

My advice would be to get 2 survival books and put one in the 72 hour kit and keep one for yourself. Mine contains useful information for short and long disaster/survival skills and tools. You may also get an idea of anything that needs to be added to the 72 hour kit such as magnesium fire starters.

It has been bitter cold all across the mountain states, and survival in the open would be impossible. My choice is to hunker down in my home or seek shelter to stay out of the elements. My 72 hour kit is lite and geared to surviving in a shelter for a few days. You need heat, like a propane heater that can warm soup or water, freeze dried foods, and provide some heat at the same time. You can decide on all the other stuff that you think you need. But remember, it needs to be lite enough to carry if you do need to boggie. We get so much stuff in our 72 hr packs that it would take a pioneer hand-cart just to get to the end of the driveway. I would tell the scouts as they prepared for a 50 mile hike, (pack only the essentials, because I'm not going to carry it).

Things have taken a turn. Come to find out my Sister (who the gift was for) actually has a pretty good "Kit" put together. She only needs a few things, one she was considering is some type of heater. Either a Propane or Kerosene. A quick search shows that I can get a smaller Propane heater, any Kerosene seems to be out of my price range (Unless I got used on ebay). Which one is better?

For me I would think Propane might be easier to come by in an Emergency? But I the Kerosene would more feel the room. The propane is more just sitting in front of you.

????

I can remember when buying and using a kerosine heater was the rage, and everyone have one. Ours stunk terrible and gave us headaches, we finally gave it to the DI. Propane would be my choice, and thats what I have for backup heat. You can find propane heaters that you can cook on, and provide heat at the same time. You can purchase an extention hose and run it off from a 5 gal propane bottle.

Really, this is a misnomer. There is no such thing as a "Family" 72 hour kit, especially since 72 hour kits are somewhat personalized.

Each person should have their own 72 hour kit, and should contain:

1. 3 full set's of clothing

...a 3 pairs of pants

...b 3 pairs of socks

...c 3 shirts

...d 3 pairs of undies

...e at least 1 long sleeve shirt for colder weather

2. 3 days supply of food.

My kit contains:

...a 3 Mountain House single person pouches (I no longer store MRE's since the new US Army recommendation is to rotate every 36/40 months, and Mountain House pouches last 7 years)

...b 3 First Strike apple cinnamon bars

...c 1 3600 calorie Datrex cube.

3. 3 day supply of water.

3 days of water is not only difficult (and heavy) to pack if you include both drinking and washing up.

Aqua Cubes and Datrex water pouches are both excellent for drinking, and pack extra if your stocking Mountain House pouches, but what I did was not to pack water in my backpack. Instead I bought two 2 quart canteens that can be carried separately. That should be enough to get by.

4. Personal Hygiene (Hygiene is even more important in an evacuation shelter)

...a 1 toothbrush (travel size)

...b 1 toothpaste (travel size)

...c 1 washcloth

...d 1 towel

...e 1 shampoo (travel size)

...f 1 bar soap (travel size)

...g 1 comb

...h 1 shaving kit (men)

5. Sleeping gear

...a 1 sleeping bag

...b 1 sleeping pad (optional)

...c 1 camp pillow (optional)

6. Personal Prescription Medication

7. Personal Identification and Documentation

Again, these are the items that EACH kit should contain. When preparing as a family, there are many items that can be divided among everyone's individual kits. Dad can carry the heavy stuff, junior can carry the travel games.

Personally, I never buy a "single function" tool. This is one area where you want to put as many eggs in a single basket as possible, to keep the basket light and portable.

Family items include:

1. 1 First Aid kit - Check regularly for expired medicine and rotate as needed.

2. 1 Dynamo radio/flashlight (Mine has Am/Fm/Weather band radio, flash light, room light and runs on crank power or alkaline batteries)

3. Travel size games. I have 2 decks of playing cards, a travel "Sorry", etc. Pack real games and not the hand-held Nintendo.

4. A couple of good paperback books.

5. A tube tent (you can get them now that are almost as small as a poncho)

6. Some way to start fire (lighter, flint/steel etc)

This should not be as overwhelming as it looks. You don't have to collect everything at once. You can start with a backpack and start collecting your clothing. Add things as you can afford them, or catch them on sale.

Set goals, make checklists and review and rotate frequently.

Edited by Raven21633

As far as hand crank radios/flashlight/cell phone charger look on Amazon. I own and have used the American Red Cross FR150. During recent power outage it came in very handy. The link is:

Amazon.com: American Red Cross FR150 Microlink Solar-Powered, Self-Powered AM/FM/Weatherband Portable Radio with Flashlight and Cell Phone Charger (Red): Electronics .

There are other radios that look the same and are less expensive, see which one works for you. By converting over to all hand crank items, I have eliminated the need for packing heavy batteries, which will eventually run out. (then what?)

Be careful with dynamo radios if you haven't had experience with them before though. (I'm on my third in 2 years)

Some models you have to top off every week or two to keep the internal batteries conditioned. I've had two die on me because I forgot to top off the batteries at regular intervals and they stopped holding a charge.

This is why I switched to multi-power flashlight/radio combo's. Something that can take alkaline batteries in the event the internal battery ever fails, and I don't charge the internal batteries for the first time until I need them.

I have the WeatherX flashlight/radio combo (WeatherX Dynamo Weatherband Radio/Flashlight with Lantern : Weather radios | RadioShack.com). It's cheap, in more ways than one, probably wouldn't survive a fall off the coffee table, but you can crank it up OR put batteries in it.

Edited by Raven21633

• 3 weeks later...

I guess that would depend on how far the tower is that receives the signal for the cell phone usage. Besides they rely on satellites not electricity.

For those that use land line phones, if you are using a cordless, lack of electricity means no use of your cordless phone. If you still have phone access, keep a phone on hand that utilizes a cord.

That was my problem in Hawaii years ago during a hurricane. Only phone we had was a cordless which of course didn't work when the power went out.

Edited by pam

• 2 years later...

From Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Family Home Storage

What about 72-hour kits?

Church members are encouraged to prepare for adversity by building a basic supply of food, water, money, and, over time, longer-term supply items. Beyond this, Church members may choose to store additional items that could be of use during times of distress.

Frequently Asked Questions

Church News and Events

(This applied to New Zealand, but also should be applicable anywhere that disaster may strike) and contains a nice list

A Kit in Time

18 October 2010

A Kit in Time - Church News and Events

lds2,

I have a power point presentation that I use whenever I teach the 72 hr. kit class, but its not necessary.

I've done this numerous times for the stake, our ward, many other wards in the area, large families, and even for a couple of small towns (Gilbert and Fountain Hills, when they offered town sponsored preparedness fairs). Anyway, here's the list I hand out with a very brief explanation. I actually have quite a lot to say about every item on it and some related topics too. I usually start with a few quotes from President Benson, Talmage, etc. I'll put a few at the bottom of this post, if you're interested in using them.

Good Luck to you...

72 Hour Kits (Bug-Out-Bags)

These bags are not meant for luxury, but rather basic survival and protection. However, you may add whatever you find to be necessary, depending on your circumstances. Remember though, adhering to the basics is very important, so as to keep the weight down, enabling you to carry it for extended distances, if this becomes necessary. Contrary to many of the examples of “bug-out-bags” you might have seen, using 5 gallon buckets, suit cases, etc. are poor choices. Your bag should be a day pack or some style of medium or slightly larger back pack, so as to carry the weight with your legs, to keep your hands free for other purposes (defense, carrying infants, etc.). With the exception of a few items, it is important to note that all the bug-out-bags in your family (and your group, if working in conjunction with others) should include as near to the same basic items as possible, so everyone has what they need, independent of each other, in case the group or individuals become separated.

Day Pack (with or without water bladder)

Katadyn Water Filter Bottle (.5 liter) (1)

Water Bottles (.5 liter) (5)

MREs (3 main courses, 3 side dishes, 3 desserts, 3 snacks)

Survival Bars (6)

Spoon (1)

P-38 (just incase)

First Aid Kit (quite a bit more than band-aids and moleskin)

Blow-Out Kit (for trauma wounds)

Tinder Kit (Blast match, lighter, 80 water proof matches, 4 candles, vaseline/cotton balls)

LED Camp Flashlight (1, w/spare batteries)

LED Mini Flashlight (1, w/spare battery)

Binoculars (1 pair, small backpack size)

Compass (1)

Maps (city and state)

Signal Mirror (1)

Howler Whistle (1, this is the loudest whistle currently made)

Emergency Survival Type Compressed Sleeping Bag (1)

Poncho (1, military style)

Plastic Bags (2 large trash bags and 4 gallon size zip lock bags)

Belt Knifes (2)

Pocket Knife (1)

Multi Purpose Tool (1)

Leather Gloves (1 pair)

Para Cord (20 yards)

Duct Tape (4 yards, approx)

Clothing and Hat (1 complete set)

Sun Screen (1 tube)

Dog Food (2 portions, dry)

AR-15 w/ACOG or EOTech & 3 point Sling (6, 30 rnd mags, 2 in double mag pouch on belt)

Glock 19 w/Tritium Sights & Holster (8, 15 rnd mags, 2 in double mag pouch on belt)

Weapon Style Flashlight (1 w/spare batteries)

Wet Wipes (1, small travel sized pouch)

Toilet Paper (enough)

Cash (enough)

Last Minute List (prescription meds, baby formula, important documents, etc)

Feminine Products (enough for 1 cycle, in wife's bag only)

With the exception of the last item, all of my family’s bags are the same. Obviously, you may not need dog food, but if you have a pet (that is capable), it should be brought along (with a leash), and it’s needs provided for as well. There is a little less water in these packs than I'd like (in an attempt to keep the weight down), but the filtration water bottles can filter up to 26 gallons each, so we can add to our water supply as we find and/or need more. Depending upon the time of year, you might be wearing or add to your pack, a jacket or other clothing.

Assorted quotes that you might like to use...

“Not only should we have strong spiritual homes, but we should have strong temporal homes. We should avoid bondage by getting out of debt as soon as we can, pay as we go, and live within our incomes. There is wisdom in having on hand a year's supply of food, clothing, fuel (if possible), and in being preparing to defend our families and our possessions and to take care of ourselves. I believe a man should prepare for the worst, while working for the best.”

Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 263-264

“The Saints have been advised to pay their own way and maintain a cash reserve. Recent history has demonstrated that in difficult days it is reserves with intrinsic value that are of most worth, rather than [cash] reserves, the value of which may be destroyed through inflation.”

Ezra Taft Benson, “Prepare Ye,” Ensign, Jan. 1974

“The Church cannot be expected to provide for every one of its millions of members in case of public or personal disaster.”

James E. Faust

“Behold, could ye suppose that ye could sit upon your thrones, and because of the exceeding goodness of God, ye could do nothing and he would deliver you? Behold, if ye have supposed this, ye have supposed in vain.”

Alma 60:11

“In mercy the Lord warns and forewarns. He sees the coming storm, knows the forces operating to produce it, and calls aloud through His prophets; advises, counsels, exhorts, even commands--that we prepare for what is about to befall, and take shelter while yet there is time. But we go our several ways, feasting and making merry, consoling conscience with the easy fancy of 'time enough', and in idle hope that the tempest will pass us by, or that when it begins to gather thick and black about us, we can turn back and find shelter.”

James E. Talmage, The Parables of James E. Talmage, p. 50

“We are apt to shut our eyes against even a painful truth… For my part, whatever anguish of the spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst; and to provide for it.”

Patrick Henry

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tungsten

Things have taken a turn. Come to find out my Sister (who the gift was for) actually has a pretty good "Kit" put together. She only needs a few things, one she was considering is some type of heater. Either a Propane or Kerosene. A quick search shows that I can get a smaller Propane heater, any Kerosene seems to be out of my price range (Unless I got used on ebay). Which one is better?

For me I would think Propane might be easier to come by in an Emergency? But I the Kerosene would more feel the room. The propane is more just sitting in front of you.

????

I can remember when buying and using a kerosine heater was the rage, and everyone have one. Ours stunk terrible and gave us headaches, we finally gave it to the DI. Propane would be my choice, and thats what I have for backup heat. You can find propane heaters that you can cook on, and provide heat at the same time. You can purchase an extention hose and run it off from a 5 gal propane bottle.

Have you guys used an Aladdin Mantle Lamp before? If i remember right it puts out about 3000btu of heat and about 40w of light. It says to use Kerosene, but I think you can use lamp oil (you can get this at walmart even) and it will solve the smell problem because it burns much cleaner.

Edited by Tungsten
spelling