This is wrong in so many ways (involving the TSA)

TL10

I travel to the USA on a semi-regular basis now, and I've never witnessed anything quite like that and hope I never do - not in public.

I did however get interrogated for between half an hour and 3/4 of an hour the first time, and wasn't allowed to contact the person who was waiting outside of the airport for me to let them know why I was delayed. Apparently you have to be delayed for over 2 hours before you are allowed to make that phone call.

I travel to the USA on a semi-regular basis now, and I've never witnessed anything quite like that and hope I never do - not in public.

I did however get interrogated for between half an hour and 3/4 of an hour the first time, and wasn't allowed to contact the person who was waiting outside of the airport for me to let them know why I was delayed. Apparently you have to be delayed for over 2 hours before you are allowed to make that phone call.

Where in the USA? I had best never hear you came to SLC without telling us.

Lol, no, it's Florida, so a fair distance away I'm afraid :) However, I'll be @ disney this christmas if anyone else wants to come :D

Okay then you are safe..or should I be saying..we are safe?

Holy crap!

Very shocking. I know drug mules aren't terrorists but young children and teens are often times used to carry drugs inside their bodies (according to a show I saw on TV about it). Not sure how authorities detect this sort of thing but I suppose it could be said that children/teens could be used to carry/transport harmful substances or dangerous devices via their bodies too.

Holy crap!

Very shocking. I know drug mules aren't terrorists but young children and teens are often times used to carry drugs inside their bodies (according to a show I saw on TV about it). Not sure how authorities detect this sort of thing but I suppose it could be said that children/teens could be used to carry/transport harmful substances or dangerous devices via their bodies too.

They'd easily detect that in a heartbeat with what they're using now. The real reason why they're doing this is because of terrorist 'threats'. The least concern with the TSA I believe is somebody trying to smuggle drugs throughout the country. They're more concerned about people like the underwear bomber last year.

did anyone else read the articles about the breast cancer survivor that was forced to show them her prosthetic breast or the bladder cancer survivor that had his (i'm sorry i don't know the name of it) bag for his urine smashed (due to their rough pat down even though he was trying to explain it to them) and caused it to leak on him? he wasn't allowed to have the time to clean himself up till after the plane was in the air.

i'm not sure what the full answer is but it's going to far. it wasn't a fully implemented plan. it's making me somewhat uncomfortable about the fact that my stepson will be flying to germany over christmas. personally i have no plans to fly. there isn't anywhere i want to go that i can't drive. yes it may have to be planned for an extended trip but road trips used to be a very common vacation.... maybe we'll see a revival of them.

They'd easily detect that in a heartbeat with what they're using now. The real reason why they're doing this is because of terrorist 'threats'. The least concern with the TSA I believe is somebody trying to smuggle drugs throughout the country. They're more concerned about people like the underwear bomber last year.

I do not think so. Turning someone into a bomb capable of bringing down a plane is not far from what we have seen already and certain objects or devices which could accomplish this and be placed inside a living person are not seen with scanners. The problem is with developing reliable detonation as we have also seen. But there are known solutions for detonation.

The truth is that we cannot ever be 100% safe. The idea that TSA can protect us is an illusion. What we learn from history (9/11) is that when a terrorist plot is well planned out - we are vulnerable.

I believe it is also an illusion to think G-d will protect us. G-d does protect us but not in the manner or purpose many think. Because the blood of the saints is required testimony even the “righteous” are subject to evil and suffering because of the evil of others.

The Book of Mormon warns us concerning secret terrorists organizations that will be active in our day but our prophets have also warned us that the secret terrorists from within are the much greater problem.

The Traveler

The truth is that we cannot ever be 100% safe. The idea that TSA can protect us is an illusion. What we learn from history (9/11) is that when a terrorist plot is well planned out - we are vulnerable.

We were vulnerable to a massive attack of crashing a plane into a building, but I honestly can't imagine that being even remotely possible now regardless of scanners or enhanced pat downs because the second someone tries something funny on the plane, they have an army of people with nothing left to lose willing to take them down.

The problem is that rather than looking at the next gaping hole in the security of our everyday lives, people are focusing on mindlessly beefing up in plane security past the point of usefulness or reason.

We will never be 100% safe or anywhere close to that and tragedies happen, but quite frankly, odds are you're orders of magnitude more likely to die from too many Big Macs and soda than from any sort of terrorist attack.

Making air travel miserable for millions of people is only marginally helping air security and not even making a dent in our overall security. The sooner people realize that, the sooner I can once again take a commercially packaged energy drink into an airport without security treating me like I'm trying to blow up the whole airport, then carelessly tossing the drink they accuse of being a bomb into a garbage can with the rest of the "potential explosives" right next to the giant line of people in the security checkpoint.

Edited by DigitalShadow

To be fair I imagine if you gave that energy drink to a small child it would probably damage the plane from bouncing around. Of course they sell energy drinks on the other side of security... yet another gaping hole in security.

but those have been screened and approved as safe...... and an increased price for a nice profit.