Pre-mortal Existence

Does anyone else have a very close friend who you became friends with from the second you took the chance to get to know each other? Do you ever wonder if maybe the two of you were close in the Pre-mortal existence? My best friend Allyson and I have that very connection. I joined the church in January of this year (I am 18 and the only member in my whole family) and Allyson attended my baptism. At the end of February she made the decision to be baptized, and she asked me to perform her baptism. Since then we have been to the temple together (I mean for baptisms/confirmations for the dead, not to be sealed, haha), we have gotten our patriarchal blessings together, and we have grown in the church together in many other ways. I feel as if the Gospel answered our questions and opened our eyes to what kind of spiritual beings we are and allowed to us grow closer together. She is off at college now, and I'm a senior in high school. However, every time we see each other again (visits are few and far between), our testimony of the Gospel, and our friendship grows just a bit more.

I feel as if I knew her before this life, and that Heavenly Father placed us side by side to help His church. Any personal opinions?

Does anyone else have a very close friend who you became friends with from the second you took the chance to get to know each other? Do you ever wonder if maybe the two of you were close in the Pre-mortal existence? My best friend Allyson and I have that very connection. I joined the church in January of this year (I am 18 and the only member in my whole family) and Allyson attended my baptism. At the end of February she made the decision to be baptized, and she asked me to perform her baptism. Since then we have been to the temple together (I mean for baptisms/confirmations for the dead, not to be sealed, haha), we have gotten our patriarchal blessings together, and we have grown in the church together in many other ways. I feel as if the Gospel answered our questions and opened our eyes to what kind of spiritual beings we are and allowed to us grow closer together. She is off at college now, and I'm a senior in high school. However, every time we see each other again (visits are few and far between), our testimony of the Gospel, and our friendship grows just a bit more.

I feel as if I knew her before this life, and that Heavenly Father placed us side by side to help His church. Any personal opinions?

I know the feeling (it happened often at the MTC). While my gut agrees I wouldn't put it down on paper without some sort of revelation from the spirit.

I do not believe in random chance or that things happen without propose or reason. We are told in scripture that for those that have faith and believe ; all things will work for your good. Often we are given insights by the spirit that comes to us by personal revelation. Seldom are these things meant to be made known to many others. We are advised not to "cast our pearls before swine" and many of the personal things revealed to Mary at the birth of Jesus she pondered and kept in her heart.

I believe a personal journal is a good place to make a record of such things.

The Traveler

I sometimes ask myself the opposite question, I wonder if there was anyone that we weren't friends with. We are sometimes told that Satan knows all of us and our weaknesses. If, Satan, even with his selfish game plan knows us that well, I would think that we knew each other even better than he did.

The thing that is variable though is how thin the veil becomes with certain people. There may be reasons that with any particular person HF has decided to open the veil a little and remind us of past relationships.

I also tend to think that our paths were much more similar than they were different in the past life. Yes, some were more valiant than others but the general ambition and purpose were probably a lot more alike than they were different like they are in this life. So, when we see someone that we may have known well in the pre-existence we may be recognizing similar features that we had ourselves.

The concept of "soul mates' is just one of several doctrinally questionable concepts in this production.

Spencer W. Kimball was pretty clear that he considered the concept of 'soul mates' false doctrine - calling it "fiction and illusion".

I'm teaching my girls: Not every cool clarinetist who shows up with a story about friendship and love in the pre-existance, is someone you want to spend much time with on earth. It's possible my daughters will find their eternal companions through such a story. But it's almost a certainty that they'll also encounter at least one Mr. Wrong who is making the same claim.

Part of their education includes reciting the phrase "I'm sure I promised myself to you in the pre-existence like you claim. But I've changed my mind since then. Sorry!"

LM

• 7 years later...

There is a specific person in my life that I feel knew me before this life, very well, and she has told me privately that she feels the same. We are very, very good friends, and my relationship with her was founded on a very powerful spiritual experience I had when I met her. I do not believe in soul mates, but I do think that Heavenly Father sends us here at a certain time, at a certain place, for a certain reason, and that He puts people in our path that can help us along the way, who were chosen for similar purposes, in regards to building up His kingdom. 

Welcome, @KayleeNewcomer!  Elder Maxwell might agree with you:

The same God that placed that star in a precise orbit millennia before it appeared over Bethlehem in celebration of the birth of the Babe has given at least equal attention to placement of each of us in precise human orbits so that we may, if we will, illuminate the landscape of our individual lives, so that our light may not only lead others but warm them as well.

-- That My Family Should Partake, Neal A. Maxwell

4 minutes ago, zil said:

Isn't your wife your friend?  So, at least you have one friend.

That's cheating.  It's called double counting.  Why wouldn't you mention my kids?  Huh?  Huh?  Nanny-nanny-boo-boo!

BSF,

Another man in my ward whom I respect greatly told me something going on in his life (I'm his home teacher).  I was surprised he hadn't told his wife.  But he said he didn't want her to be too concerned.  Things are actually ok.  But she's going to think it's the end of the world.  I understood what he meant.  So, I haven't said anything.

While my wife is certainly the most precious person in my life, there are some things a husband simply cannot say to his wife.  Things that might hurt her feelings, or maker her worry too much, etc.  We need to have someone to unload on completely.  And a wife just isn't that person.

On 11/30/2010 at 3:19 PM, NeuroTypical said:

I'm teaching my girls: Not every cool clarinetist who shows up with a story about friendship and love in the pre-existance, is someone you want to spend much time with on earth. It's possible my daughters will find their eternal companions through such a story. But it's almost a certainty that they'll also encounter at least one Mr. Wrong who is making the same claim.

Wow - blast from the past - I said that seven years ago?  Boy does 7 years make a big difference.  Heh - I used to have daughters interested in what I have to say.  These days, "not so much" would be the understatement of the year.

2 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wow - blast from the past - I said that seven years ago?  Boy does 7 years make a big difference.  Heh - I used to have daughters interested in what I have to say.  These days, "not so much" would be the understatement of the year.

I guess she married the cool clarinetist with the cool story about... whatever it was about.  :D

37 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Speaking as someone who was a teenage girl once, they're interested, but incomplete brains, hormones, peer pressure, and such mandate that they pretend not to be - in very dramatic ways.  Want to get through all that?  Write them letters - handwritten is better (it's a piece of you, not an impersonal print-out with suspected copy and paste crap).  Put them in envelopes so they're easier to keep and read again later.  While I guess I can't make guarantees, I believe they will read these letters multiple times over their lives.  Maybe get them a box to keep important documents in - like birth certificates, marriage certificates, and letters from dad.  I love my letters from dad - there are few of them, but each is precious.

Edited by zil

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

That's a good idea zil.  The last letters I wrote them were when they went to YW camp - to be read as they wandered off in the woods to find quiet places to pray.  

Yes, I still have letters from my parents written for that sort of thing. :)

11 minutes ago, zil said:

Speaking as someone who was a teenage girl once, they're interested, but incomplete brains, hormones, peer pressure, and such mandate that they pretend not to be - in very dramatic ways.  Want to get through all that?  Write them letters - handwritten is better (it's a piece of you, not an impersonal print-out with suspected copy and paste crap).  Put them in envelopes so they're easier to keep and read again later.  While I guess I can't make guarantees, I believe they will read these letters multiple times over their lives.  Maybe get them a box to keep important documents in - like birth certificates, marriage certificates, and letters from dad.  I love my letters from dad - there are few of them, but each is precious.

@NeuroTypical, this is actually what she's saying... buy a fountain pen.

Just now, zil said:

No need to buy - IM me, we'll arrange a Christmas present for you.

Don't fall for it @NeuroTypical.  That's just the hook.  You'll be in it line and sinker sooner than later!

By the way, @zil.  My lost pen showed up.  It was in the pen jar - you know, slumming with the ballpoints.  My son was right - he didn't have it.  I must have gone brain dead for a few seconds and plopped it in there while cleaning up my desk.