The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns

Dr T

The next book I read was The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? The answer that changed my life and just might change the world by Richard Stearns.

Richard Stearns, the head of North American World Vision, talks about what he sees as a “hole in our gospel.” I do not believe it is a hole in the Gospel as he said but think it is definitely the peripheral issues that require focus from us Christians. He touches on the progress of his reluctant transition from the secular world as the CEO of Lenox to the nonprofit World Vision ministry. He did a good job, in my opinion, laying out the disparity of the U.S. vs. the poor of the world and encourages the reader to join him in plugging the so-called “hole”. I did like the play of words that he uses, “Hole” vs. “Whole.” I appreciate his desire to service Jesus Christ and doing what Jesus wants from us in realistic way. He points out how we often use excuses to not do as God is calling us to do and encourages us, maybe attempts to guilt us into seeing what he’s saying about it and it works to some degree. I kept coming back to Jesus’ words about the poor “always being with us.”

I am not making excuses for giving my money away to the hungry or any other charity really I’m not and I know that we are not all eyes, ears, or a nose in the body of God. I really liked this book a lot. It will be fun to think a lot more about and figure out what God will have me do. I see it as an important topic that needs to be discussed and acted upon. God has blessed me beyond measure and I am to bless others for sure. We have been saved by grace through faith-that is the Gospel. The works portion shows our faith but I do not see that as the gospel or “good news” really. There were some contradictions in this book, I noted as I read but am unable to remember what they were as I write this OP. I don’t have a problem with people making money and do not believe Christians need to be poor to show we are really Christians like some might believe. I now know that the author, in 2005 made $376,000 for World Vision but he used to make almost 1 Million a year working for Lenox. I think it would be difficult to adjust to the cut and makes me wonder how I would respond? The money is all God’s and He just allows my family and I to have/use. I know I have a LONG way to go to give it over to God and understand that I cannot do it all myself. I understand I have been rambling but there is SO much this book brings up.

I think the author’s heart was in the right place but not sure if it was more of a ploy for people to give (and yes there is a need, a HUGE need). I believe we need compassion and use God’s funds as we ought. I’m having a difficult time rating this book, it had a lot of great things to say and some questions I’m still wrestling with that will take some time I’m sure. I’ll give this book a 4 out of 5 stars just because it’s valuable but I’d love to have dinner with him to discuss it all but I want to rate it lower on the 5 point scale but will not right now.