Jacob 5:77

pam

Reference Search: Jacob 5:77

77 And when the time cometh that evil fruit shall again come into my vineyard, then will I cause the good and the bad to be gathered; and the good will I preserve unto myself, and the bad will I cast away into its own place. And then cometh the season and the end; and my vineyard will I cause to be burned with fire.

Quotes for Discussion

Evil fruit come again

We have been assured that in this last dispensation of the fullness of times, there will be no universal apostasy. When the Lord appears again in his glory, he will find a people who will have remained faithful and who will be ready to receive him and join with him in the completion of his work.

But the fact that there will not be a complete apostasy in this last dispensation does not mean all who have received the gospel and become members of the Church will remain faithful.

Dean L. Larsen; as quoted in The Book of Mormon: Alma, The Testimony of the Word, ed. By Monte S. Nyman and Charles D. Tate [Provo, Utah: Religious Studies Center, BYU, 1992], 5

There are a few teachers within the Church who while courting apostasy still want to remain members in the Church, for being members makes them more effective in misleading the Saints. But their day of judgment is coming….

The Lord has stated that his Church will never again be taken from the earth because of apostasy. But he has also stated that some members of his Church will fall away.

Ezra Taft Benson, in Conference Report, Oct. 1964 [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1964], 58

“Good and bad gathered”

As it was in the meridian of time among the Nephites (4 Nephi), so it shall be at t the end of the thousand years: pride, costly apparel, and a yearning for the “finer” things of the world shall grow up in the hearts of many. Once again the forces of good will face the forces of evil. “Satan will be loosed to gather his forces after the Millennium,” stated President Joseph Fielding Smith. “The people who will be tempted, will be people living on this earth [mortals], and they will have every opportunity to accept the gospel or reject it. Satan will have nothing whatever to do with little children, or grown people who have received their resurrection and entered into the celestial kingdom.” (Doctrines of Salvation 2:56-57; see also The Life Beyond, pp. 115-116.)

The Revelator wrote: “And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea” (Revelation 20:7-8), “Satan shall be bound,” the Lord explained, “that old serpent, who is called the devil, and shall not be loosed for the space of a thousand years. And then he shall be loosed for a little season, that he may gather together his armies. And Michael, the seventh angel, even the arch-angel, shall gather together his armies, even the hosts of heaven. And the devil shall gather together his armies; even the hosts of hell, and shall come up to battle against Michael and his armies. And then cometh the battle of the great God [the Battle of Gog and Magog, a final struggle between good and evil at the end of the Millennium—Teachings, p. 280]; and the devil and his armies shall be cast away into their own place, that they shall not have power over the saints any more at all.” (D&C 88:110-14.) The destruction of the wicked at the time of the Second Coming is known as the “end of the world” (Joseph Smith—Mathew 1:4, 31, 55). The final destruction of Satan and his hosts—the Battle of Gog and Magog—results in the “end of the earth” (D&C 43:31; 88:101; Joseph Smith—Matthew 1:55).

Millet & McConkie, Doctrinal Commentary on BOM, Vol. 2, p. 76

Burn my vineyard

This is a reference to the cleansing and final celestialization of the earth, a time wherein the earth is purged of all that is of a lesser order than the very glory of God the Father. “And the end shall come, and the heaven and the earth shall be consumed and pass away, and there shall be a new heaven and a new earth” (D&C 29:23). “There was a new earth and new heavens when the Millennium commenced. This is a second new heaven and new earth; it is the celestial earth and its heaven. The language in each instance is similar, but the meaning is different. In one instance the new earth is the paradisiacal [millennial] earth; in this case it is the celestial globe.” Further, “whereas Christ the Son will grace the millennial earth with is presence, even God the Father will take up his abode, from time to time, on this earth in its celestial day.” (Millennial Messiah, pp. 696, 699.)

Ibid, pp. 76-77