i want to be a missionary

MichaelC

im 17, and was baptized by the church little under a month ago, but was investigating it for a further 3 months before the baptism could be arranged, i really want to serve a mission because i KNOW that Jesus is our saviour and that Our Father loves us and wants us to return to him, and i know that it's well within my power and responsibility to submit myself to the work of the Lord.

But i know little about the preparation i must take, the financial requirements, at the moment, i only have the words of the outside world, and my determination.

can you guys explain the kind of preparation needed for missionary work.

is it possible for me to serve by the time im 19.

any advice and wisdom is welcomed.

Thank You

Michael

short answer? talk to your bishop, he will be thrilled to hear from you about this and answer any questions you may have.

other answer? i think you have to be a member a yr so yes you could go by 19 if all else is in order. you can not go if you are a father. you will need to talk to your bishop about the worthiness standards. you are supposed to pay for as much of it yourself as you can. you might be late in the game on savings (i don't know how much a mission costs right now) but the church will help any worthy person with a desire with finances so that's can be worked with.

congrats on your baptism.

The missionary serving my ward right now is 19 and had only been a member for a little over a year. None of his family is a member so he saved up some money on his own and his ward helped him with some of the finances so he could go.

Amazing lad. Very strong in the spirit.

I was 16 when I was baptized, and did enter the MTC shortly after my 19th birthday. You have plenty of time to prepare.

IMO, what is most important for preparation is learning the fundamental principles of the Gospel, how to listen to the Spirit, and to learn His word.

D&C 11:21

Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men.

1. Study the scriptures daily. Set goals to read through all the scriptures at least once before you turn 19.

2. Get a copy of Preach My Gospel, and start studying it. It will tell you what missionaries must do and know to prepare and serve.

3. Get with your bishop regarding the costs/expected mission costs. This will help you know what money you need to prepare to have before you leave. Try and save up as much of it as you can yourself, then discuss with the Bishop the possibility of having the ward assist with the rest. It is possible your parents may also wish to help out in this endeavor, so include them in these plans if you can.

I was baptized at 16, and followed these steps myself. I believe I was well prepared for my mission, and had a wonderful experience. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CASRMmissionary

Hey I am actually a missionary right now. It is the greatest thing I have ever done. Do you have the missionary guide book "Preach my Gospel" yet? if not get it and study it as often as you can. Also get in contact with the local missionaries and go to lessons and stuff with them, that will be the best preparation you can have. We love working with people who want to serve missions.

Remember it is not about how much you know, how deep you can teach doctrine or how many scriptures you can recite. it is you desire, willingness and obedience, and testimony that makes you a powerful missionary. The spirit is your best and greatest tool, work now to increase your spirituality. I would love to continue to talk with you and help you with the missionary preparation, let me know if you want to talk as well. Good luck, you are the man

• 7 months later...