Where does the church stand...

MichaelC

hey, i heard a rumor on this site not too long ago about missionaries not allowed on missions if they have broken certain commandments like the law of chastity

i had broken the law of chastity and felt overwhelmed with guilt and sought the guidance of my bishop, and he lovingly showed me the way and gave me his number and said he would keep an eye on me and requested if i have an issue, speak to him right away so that temptation need not grow to a point where i risk my standing in the church

he set me on the repentance path, and told me he believed i had repented because of my sincerity and strong faith in the church, along with my knowing and belief that what i did was wrong.

i was a convert, baptized earlier this month, and he took it into account that some elements of my former lifestyle weed their way through, but is helping me, and since that one mistake, i have not participated in any known sin, and have made the effort to be a shining example of teenagers within my ward.

he has not mentioned the church's standings on missionaries though, and too my knowledge there is one missionary who had broken the law of chastity like i, and sought forgiveness like i.

so my question is, where does the church stand, is there still a chance of me going on my mission in 2 years time :)

MichaelC

x

hey, i heard a rumor on this site not too long ago about missionaries not allowed on missions if they have broken certain commandments like the law of chastity

i had broken the law of chastity and felt overwhelmed with guilt and sought the guidance of my bishop, and he lovingly showed me the way and gave me his number and said he would keep an eye on me and requested if i have an issue, speak to him right away so that temptation need not grow to a point where i risk my standing in the church

he set me on the repentance path, and told me he believed i had repented because of my sincerity and strong faith in the church, along with my knowing and belief that what i did was wrong.

i was a convert, baptized earlier this month, and he took it into account that some elements of my former lifestyle weed their way through, but is helping me, and since that one mistake, i have not participated in any known sin, and have made the effort to be a shining example of teenagers within my ward.

he has not mentioned the church's standings on missionaries though, and too my knowledge there is one missionary who had broken the law of chastity like i, and sought forgiveness like i.

so my question is, where does the church stand, is there still a chance of me going on my mission in 2 years time :)

MichaelC

x

I believe you can prepair for and serve a mission. You can talk to your bishop for advice for getting ready to serve. If you feel that your bishop is not helping you - you can see advice with the stake president - which is rare but can occur.

I wish you well.

The Traveler

As long as the chastity issues are fully taken care of with the bishop, you will still be eligible to go on a mission.

There are however some sins that can prevent a person from going on a mission, such as homosexual behavior, or child molestation. These would require permission from the First Presidency, and the answer would probably be "no".