Atheist Ads Cross The Line

TL10

Here in Canada, there's an athesit group enacting an ad campagin on major citys' transit. This is the second capaign they have done, with the first ad claiming that "there probobly isn't a god..." and so on and so forth. The first one offended me, but this one was just downright innaporopiate and disrespective.

Posted Image

I don't care if you're atheist or not, I won't judge people about their beliefs, but this is just disgusting in so many ways. Yes, there are some people of different faiths (including ours) that are intolerant of other faiths/beliefs, but I for one think that apart from Westboro, these people from other religions don't disrespect one's beliefs like this.

I believe that the atheist group should cease and desist. There are very good people who (in times like these) only have God, or some religious figure, to rely on. I believe this ad takes their faith, and smashes it to bits, instead of holding some sort of respect for them.

What do you think about this?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was something similar over here a year or so ago. An atheist group was posting similar messages on "bendy" buses in some places. Don't know if they are still doing it though. Think they were only on city buses - at least haven't seen any in my neck of the woods but there was some media attention on it.

Still offensive to look at, and I am sorry you have to see that.

Edited by lizrenowden

I don't think they're comparing psychics to Christ, anymore than they're comparing Bigfoot, UFOs, or homeopathy to Christ.

I also don't think it's offensive or inappropriate. It's no worse than a Christian group putting a full-length ad on the side of a bus.

It would be easy to miss the physics though and see it as the goal. With physics in there it's less "your beliefs are ridiculous like these other ones" and more "if you are going to believe something find some evidence for it."

I thought there was proof that UFO's existed? Any time we see a flying object that we can't identify, it's proof of their existence surely?

Actually I don't think it's offensive either. It's their money being wasted on pointless adverts like this, not mine, so I'm perfectly okay with it :)

I thought there was proof that UFO's existed? Any time we see a flying object that we can't identify, it's proof of their existence surely?

Actually I don't think it's offensive either. It's their money being wasted on pointless adverts like this, not mine, so I'm perfectly okay with it :)

Look at it this way, bus advertising subsidizes public transportation.

I'll fully support the OP's outrage and feelings as long as it's applied with 100% equality and he condemns all public statements and opinions about others that might be seen as mean spirited or hurtful, not just the ones that bother him personally :) Other wise i think it's kinda funny being the other side has kinda done the same thing from time to time ;)

Guest Godless

Personally, I'm not a big fan of in-your-face atheism (the most assertive I'll get is to wear my Bad Religion shirt from time to time). I'm also not a big fan of in-your-face theism, which seems to be perfectly acceptable by society's standards. Basically, I see no need for outrage here.

I find it offensive but I don't dwell on it long. You see the same antics used by PETA. Yes, how you feel is valid and how you wish to express it is your freedom of speech (given it doesn't violate any laws, which even then is sometimes "iffy"). But for crying out loud — you don't get bees with vinegar! But unfortunately, sharing your opinion with the world is not required to be respectful or tactful.

Posted Image

What do you think about this?

I agree wholeheartedly with the athiests. Yes indeed, if something making extraordinary claims wish to be taken serioiusly, it needs to produce extraordinary evidence.

Allah, bigfoot, ufo's, homeopathy, zeus, psychics, and Jesus Christ absolutely can be legitimately lumped together into a group of things making extraordinary claims. From where I'm standing, the stuff listed between Allah and Christ have pretty much failed abysmally at presenting any extraordinary evidence. Allah (same root word as Elohim, basically the Muslim's concept of God) and Christ, IMO, produce extraordinary evidence. Maybe not conclusive evidence, maybe evidence that not everyone finds persuasive. But yes indeed, extraordinary evidence.

I don't see any reason to be offended by a bunch of athiests trying to get a rise out of me, by saying true things in a snarky way.

LM

I agree wholeheartedly with the athiests. Yes indeed, if something making extraordinary claims wish to be taken serioiusly, it needs to produce extraordinary evidence.

Allah, bigfoot, ufo's, homeopathy, zeus, psychics, and Jesus Christ absolutely can be legitimately lumped together into a group of things making extraordinary claims. From where I'm standing, the stuff listed between Allah and Christ have pretty much failed abysmally at presenting any extraordinary evidence. Allah (same root word as Elohim, basically the Muslim's concept of God) and Christ, IMO, produce extraordinary evidence.

LM

How has Zeus failed at producing extraordinary evidence?

How has Zeus failed at producing extraordinary evidence?

I imagine LM is speaking of personal revelation or personal manifestation of which I imagine he has experienced none from Zeus. I think I'm safe in parsing LM's qualifer of "from where I'm standing" as "in my experience."

Edited by Dravin