Cartilidge piercing?

lizzy16

The church says

"We—the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve—have taken the position, and I quote, that “the Church discourages tattoos. It also discourages the piercing of the body for other than medical purposes, although it takes no position on the minimal piercing of the ears by women for one pair of earrings.”

Does this mean I can get my cartilage pierced instead of my lobe?

I've always wanted a cartilage piercing...I think that the members may be judgmental..but i don't mind...

And, I'm going to BYU Idaho next year. So this makes me even more hesitant about it.

I would guess that cartilage piercing is discouraged. Earrings are traditionally worn on the lobes, and you need to remember that BYU-I will lean more to the conservative traditional side than other places, even BYU-Provo. With that in mind, this comes from the link Dravin provided: 'Excessive ear piercings (more than one pair) and all other body piercings are inappropriate.'

I'm just guessing here, but I would assume that cartilage piercing would be considered by most BYU-I administration as pushing the limits into body piercing. University President Kim Clark declared: "The Honor Code is a preparatory commitment to live the gospel and conduct your lives in a spirit of obedience. " Taking all of that in consideration, I would advise erring on the side of obedience and not get the cartilage piercings. Their view, if you choose to push the limits, is that attending a Church-owned school is not a right, but a privilege, and they expect you to abide by the rules or plan on attending school somewhere else.

I guess we each have to ask ourselves whether we want to walk along the edge of the line, or safely away from the edge. Do we look for the loop holes in the gospel, or do we seek to appreciate and experience the commandments and guidances given us? Hanging one's toes over the edge of a cliff, one may still end up safe from any falls. But we still have to wonder what is happening to us spiritually.

We all have desires, Lizzy. But our first and foremost desire should be to follow the Lord and his prophets. And when in doubt, caution on the safe side.

Cartilage piercings are much more damaging and scarring to the body than ear lobe piercings. So, that is one thing to consider. The other is, why are piercings discouraged? There are other parts of the body that could be pierced with minimal damage, like the nose and around the lip areas, but these are still discouraged. Having grown up in an place with lots of tattoos, piercings and other extremes, I don't think I've ever given someones upper ear piercing a second though (unless there were like 10 of them), but I suppose that just because we think something looks cool (there are a lot of tattoos I think look very neat) doesn't mean we should do it.

They who pierce themselves and have tatoos shall be shamed in the coming of the Lord.

That body that you have is not yours....it belongs to God. Here is some prophecies concerning our day on this from Isaiah.

Isaiah 3:16 - Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and

wanton eyes, walking and mincing [as] they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:

Isaiah 3:17 - Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will

discover their secret parts.

Isaiah 3:18 - In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls,

and their round tires like the moon,

Isaiah 3:19 - The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,

Isaiah 3:20 - The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,

Isaiah 3:21 - The rings, and nose jewels,

Isaiah 3:22 - The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,

Isaiah 3:23 - The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.

Isaiah 3:24 - And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.

Isaiah 3:25 - Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war.

Isaiah 3:26 - And her gates shall lament and mourn; and she [being] desolate shall sit upon the ground.

----------------------------

They who are abased shall be raised and they who are raised [haughty and proud] shall be lowered.

See to it that the prophecy above is not fulfilled within you.

bert10

The church says

I've always wanted a cartilage piercing...I think that the members may be judgmental..but i don't mind...

And, I'm going to BYU Idaho next year. So this makes me even more hesitant about it.

Not sure about LDS rules and regulations regarding body piercing but I can talk from a "pierced" perspective :] I have a total of 17 piercings on my body. Left ear I have (5) lobed (3) cartilage. Right ear (5) lobed. Eyebrow (1). Nose stud (1). Tongue (1). Belly (1). Except for a couple ear lobe piercings on each side, tongue piercing and belly, I am required to remove everything else because I am not allowed to wear them while performing my job. Over time, I have had piercings close up and I've re-pierced many of them. The cartilage ones are a bit more painful to pierce/re-pierce and yes scar tissue can become an issue. I've had multiple piercings redone 3-5 times. Anyway my point is, it may not be worth getting it done for various reasons. My reason is always my line of work but I'm stupid enough to get it done over and over again. I guess I feel naked when I'm without them for so long.. But your reason, such as the Church, is probably a good reason NOT to get body piercings. I got my first body piercings when I was 13 and I certainly got a lot of attention from peers and from people at Church — but not the good kind! Lol.. So prepare for people labeling you when you make choices like this. I understand you're only talking about ONE piercing but for some, depending on where it is, one is just as bad as 17..

When I was at BYU-I I had a roommate who had multiple ear piercings. When she would go to class or go out on campus or especially if she went to take a test she would wear only one set of piercings, usually in her lobes. When she was at home (in our apartment) she would wear more earrings. One thing to keep in mind about BYU-I is that their dress standard is rather strict, especially when it comes to the testing center. It is something to consider.

This subject illustrates a pet peeve of mine, and i don't mean it to anyone in particular and i'm sure i myself have be guilty of it as well but often time i see people apply importance to council based on how they agree with it.

The church discourages piercings and tattoos. I think this is good advice, as i know many with tattoos in particular, they regret.

The church also recommends dating the same race, and "without question" the same religious background (as per the Aaronic priesthood manual) and "condemns" caffeine (plenty of ensign articles condemning it's negative effects, addictive nature, listed as a drug along side nicotine, and cocaine in young womens manual).

I also believe this is good advice, in a general way, the same way the discourage tattoos and piercings is, but it will not fit every situation, and that is why it is council, not commandment.

The difference is people don't apply the same "strictness" to the council that don't follow to the ones they do. People will be warned of the dangers of "straying" getting an extra earring and look down on a because of a visible tat in church but will not condemn the youth bringing his non member girlfriend to a church dance, or get shock seeing brother Smith order a MT Dew.

Now my advice, would be not to get it, IF it is against the byu code, which i imagine it is. They have a stricter code of conduct that might get one prepared for the gospel but it doesn't make it gospel.

The little things help prepare but are not necessarily the same thing.

I'm reminded of basic training. We were constantly yelled at, sleep deprived, have to fold our clothes into little perfect squares with no lint, shine our boots to mirror like quality etc. This was to get us prepared, but was not the "military life" Someone who can deal with the stress of doing 100 push ups in the rain is more capable of of dealing with the stress of getting a plane up and read to go at a moments notice.

Someone who can sacrifice their own personal desire by shaving because it's a rule at byu, is getting ready and might be more capable of sacrificing their personal desire to sleep all saturday, and instead choose to pitch in on a service protect, but that doesn't mean shaving is required to have that quality.

Following the Prophets council on tattoos and piercings may very well help a person follow some harder council down the road, but it doesn't mean those who do not are not capable or are headed towards a life of sin any more then ones Coke a cola habit has them headed to a life of boozing.

Perhaps the Church should explain why the Rule is and what GOD said by Isaiah and why the rule is what it is today.

Anciently anyone who was not "whole" (free from defect, infirmities and blemishes) could not be in the Holy Congregation of the Lord. Not only one had to be "Whole" on the inside...but the Outside had to also reflect the inside of the Cup.

In the kingdom of God on the earth...all those who have purposely mutilated their bodies and this is either done for vanities or because of psychological needs.. .cannot come in with the Holy Congregation until their temple is made Whole again....by whatever time it takes. For piercings and other things like this was prophesied would exist when Christ will come and What God would do to the daughters of Zion...I imagine for men it shall be much worse.

People are always free to do what they want. But they are not free from consequences of their choices.

bert10

This subject illustrates a pet peeve of mine, and i don't mean it to anyone in particular and i'm sure i myself have be guilty of it as well but often time i see people apply importance to council based on how they agree with it.

The church discourages piercings and tattoos. I think this is good advice, as i know many with tattoos in particular, they regret.

The church also recommends dating the same race, and "without question" the same religious background (as per the Aaronic priesthood manual) and "condemns" caffeine (plenty of ensign articles condemning it's negative effects, addictive nature, listed as a drug along side nicotine, and cocaine in young womens manual).

I also believe this is good advice, in a general way, the same way the discourage tattoos and piercings is, but it will not fit every situation, and that is why it is council, not commandment.

The difference is people don't apply the same "strictness" to the council that don't follow to the ones they do. People will be warned of the dangers of "straying" getting an extra earring and look down on a because of a visible tat in church but will not condemn the youth bringing his non member girlfriend to a church dance, or get shock seeing brother Smith order a MT Dew.

Now my advice, would be not to get it, IF it is against the byu code, which i imagine it is. They have a stricter code of conduct that might get one prepared for the gospel but it doesn't make it gospel.

The little things help prepare but are not necessarily the same thing.

I'm reminded of basic training. We were constantly yelled at, sleep deprived, have to fold our clothes into little perfect squares with no lint, shine our boots to mirror like quality etc. This was to get us prepared, but was not the "military life" Someone who can deal with the stress of doing 100 push ups in the rain is more capable of of dealing with the stress of getting a plane up and read to go at a moments notice.

Someone who can sacrifice their own personal desire by shaving because it's a rule at byu, is getting ready and might be more capable of sacrificing their personal desire to sleep all saturday, and instead choose to pitch in on a service protect, but that doesn't mean shaving is required to have that quality.

Following the Prophets council on tattoos and piercings may very well help a person follow some harder council down the road, but it doesn't mean those who do not are not capable or are headed towards a life of sin any more then ones Coke a cola habit has them headed to a life of boozing.

The church says

In my own opinion, from a gospel perspective, no. The gospel's stance is conservative. Lobe piecing is conservative; cartilage piercing is not.

I'm not saying not too. You're hesitant for a reason, trust yourself. Pray about it and decide.

Good luck at BYU!! :)