A Revelation?

MichaelC

Hey guys

i wanted to share with you something that has got me a bit stuck.

Ever since i was young, my dreams have been particulary horrible, nothing but violence consists inside them, until i joined the church.

my dreams seem to have lessened in it's tension and the violence has completely stopped since following the Lord's Commandments.

As some of you are aware, i desire to go to on a mission, and i prayed on it and am certain that i shall go on one someday to serve.

A few nights ago, i had the strangest of dreams, little of which i can remember. i had recieved my call, and my friends and family were there, but i can't remember much else besides it telling me i'm to serve in the Hong Kong mission.

ever since this dream i feel absolutley certain that i will serve in the Hong Kong mission, however my nature is skeptical, and i question things a lot. usually i would pass it off as a dream, i told my friend about it from church and she stated it may in fact be a revelation.

i'm yet to speak with my Bishop about this, but i seek your opinion on the matter :)

note: Hong Kong was not in my list of desired places to go, surely if it was a dream, i would have been sent to my desired place.

i felt the spirit strongly that day

what do you think guys?

Hey guys

Ever since i was young, my dreams have been particulary horrible, nothing but violence consists inside them, until i joined the church.

my dreams seem to have lessened in it's tension and the violence has completely stopped since following the Lord's Commandments.

As some of you are aware, i desire to go to on a mission, and i prayed on it and am certain that i shall go on one someday to serve.

A few nights ago, i had the strangest of dreams, little of which i can remember. i had recieved my call, and my friends and family were there, but i can't remember much else besides it telling me i'm to serve in the Hong Kong mission.

ever since this dream i feel absolutley certain that i will serve in the Hong Kong mission, however my nature is skeptical, and i question things a lot. usually i would pass it off as a dream, i told my friend about it from church and she stated it may in fact be a revelation.

i'm yet to speak with my Bishop about this, but i seek your opinion on the matter :)

note: Hong Kong was not in my list of desired places to go, surely if it was a dream, i would have been sent to my desired place.

what do you think guys?

that's awesome.. i suggest keeping a journal of them. Pray and study and prepare for your mission, perhaps until you know otherwise put some time into looking up chinese culture and language. It would not hurt to be prepared a little if it turns out that your dream is a revelation. And even if it turns out not to be one, the time spent to learn about another people will help prepare you in other ways as well.

Hey guys

what do you think guys?

I thought sure I would serve in Germany. So I learned German to prepare for my mission. My call was to the Northwestern States Mission - at the time Washington, Oregon and Idaho. I had mission transfers that were greater distances than going home.

My advice – do not focus on where you will serve but focus on serving. Do not worry so much about your dreames as the things you are involved in while awake. Remember that what ever your journey the spirit will be with you if you allow it and if you are called on a mission or for to other things you will rejoice in your calls. - Welcome to the journey.

The Traveler

PS I thought to add one other thing - near the end of my mission I had a dream that turned out to shape much of my understanding of certain principles. The dream was about my return home from my mission and nothing in my dream has taken place but I have learned that symbols from my dream have become very relevant to a great many things.

Edited by Traveler
added PS

Dreams are one medium through which the Spirit can communicate with us. Examples include Joseph in Egypt, Lehi, etc. The only real dream interpretation comes from the spirit. Trust in its guidance as you ponder the dream and as one of the others said, write it down.

As for that feeling where you'll serve, it is very possible you can get some "hint" from the spirit as to where you will go. At age 14 I developed an odd interest in Portuguese. I always had a feeling in the back of my mind that I would serve foreign and hoped it would be to Portugal so I could learn the language. In my ordination to the office of Elder, my dad said I would have the opportunity to use my priesthood to teach and serve in distant lands. As I was preparing for my mish, and had sent in my mission papers, he also told me to get a passport because he had the feeling I would go overseas and it would speed things up a bit. A week or so before I got my mission call I was reading my patriarchal blessing where it talked about certain things regarding my mission, and "South America" popped into my head.

Sure enough, I was called to the Fortaleza Brazil mission to preach the gospel in the Portuguese language.

Trust in the spirit's guidance on this one. If it really is the spirit telling you you'll serve in Hong Kong, the same spirit will tell Pres. Monson you are to go to Hong Kong.

One key to understanding revelatory dreams. If you feel that the Lord has given you a revelation via dream, then you may ask the Lord for the interpretation of the dream. If no answer comes, then it was just a dream. The Lord will give you the keys to understand it if that's what he intends for you.

Most of the time, in my experience, the Spirit will prompt you directly and personally while you're awake instead of dilly-dallying with all the subconscious images that are associated with dreams. Pay attention to promptings that come while you're reading your scriptures, while you're sitting in sacrament meeting, while you're out doing your home teaching. When you're doing your duty, the Spirit will speak to you at times and you'll come to recognize it.

The Lord has given me some very personal insights through dreams, but I consider them personal communications that it would not be appropriate to share with others. There's a lesson to be learned from Mary. She had angelic visitations and many manifestations of the Lord's tender mercies on the most personal level imaginable. Nevertheless, she didn't "blab" about what she received. She kept those things in her heart and shared only the little bit of her experience to the Lord's anointed witnesses who wrote the gospels.

When you are counted worthy to receive revelation from God, it would be inappropriate to broadcast it to the world on the Internet. God reveals secrets to them who can keep secrets.

Hey guys

what do you think guys?

You think you'll go to Hong Kong, then the Lord throws a curve ball and BAM you go to Taiwan! Or mandarin speaking in California. Or... You go to Hong Kong.

i find my dreams have varied meaning from nothing to very significant. none i would consider "visions" or direct revelation.

you may feel very strongly it's revelation and start learning the culture and such and then go somewhere "plain". but you never know, may meet an immigrant from there that needs a friend. you can attribute all kinds of amazing prophetic relation to it but keep in mind it may be nothing more than anxiety about going somewhere you never even considered that would be a serious challenge for you. how did you feel about hong kong before the dream?

act on it if you wish. pray more about it to find more answers. but don't hang your testimony on it. sometimes things don't go like we thought we were told they were going to. it can be quite the trial.

sorry i seem pessimistic.

Sometimes a dream is just a dream. I would not count on anything, if it happens great but if it doesn't you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Let your prayers be that the Lord sends you where He wants you and leave it at that.

True story; a member of a former ward felt strongly he would be sent to Germany, wanted to go there, studied German in school and was called on a mission to Colorado, served faithfully but was really disappointed, couldn;t figure out why the Lord didn;t call him on a mission to Germany, during the last few months of his mission in Colorado a German immigrent became interested in the Gospel and knowing German, the missionary was able to help teach this man. The man was baptised.

A verse comes to mind

Doctrine and Covenants 18:15

And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!

Prepare yourself for a mission - anywhere, let the Lord handle the details. Edited by mnn727

True story; a member of a former ward felt strongly he would be sent to Germany, wanted to go there, studied German in school and was called on a mission to Colorado, served faithfully but was really disappointed, couldn;t figure out why the Lord didn;t call him on a mission to Germany, during the last few months of his mission in Colorado a German immigrent became interested in the Gospel and knowing German, the missionary was able to help teach this man. The man was baptised.

I have a friend with a similar story. A little grander scale, but similar in the basic idea. I told about him here: http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/19299-missionary-story-clarification.html#post344577. To clarify a little more background, he took Spanish classes all through high school, even completing a 200 level university course. He spent a few weeks one summer in Barcelona, on vacation but with the intent to language-immerse himself. He also spent an entire summer in Argentina as an exchange student. He was pretty much completely fluent in Spanish.