Why Religion Makes People Happier

Elphaba

Note: I accidentally typed over my original OP. I've re-created it below, but I could not find my original link, so the link below is new.

Why Religion Makes People Happier

From the article:

The study does not represent the views of Latter-day Saints, as its authors said the Church's population is too small to make any conclusions. However, I don't think anyone would deny that being part of the church community is one significant part of the Mormon experience. I do know that I miss it a great deal.

Elphaba

I later added:

To all those who emphasize the spiritual aspect of your belief, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. That's why my post included the fact that the study did not apply to Mormons, and that the Church community is one significant part, as opposed to all of it.

I just wanted to clarify.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba
I messed it up!

What I find interesting is that I'm not a social person really. My religion makes me happier but it isn't because I hobnob and do service projects. At least I wouldn't say it is, I'm not sure I have a null state to compare with even though I was inactive.

Edited by Dravin

Why Religion Makes People HappierFrom the article:

The study does not represent the views of Latter-day Saints, as its authors said the Church's population is too small to make any conclusions. However, I don't think anyone would deny that being part of the church community is one significant part of the Mormon experience. I do know that I miss it a great deal.

Elphaba

Yes...you should attend. They let Liberals in church.....LOL!!!!

I thought that to truly appreciate the Gospel you need to be open to the spiritual aspect as well as the social aspect of its teachings. Mind you, I haven't stepped foot in an LDS church in over ten years, and the last time I attended I was a strong-headed 15 year old (possibly feeling pressures that are/were unnecessary). Anyway, I'm not particularly a social butterfly myself. My friends network is a closely knit circuit. When outside of that, I'm generally a woman of few words and according to my husband, I tend to come across stuck-up and uninterested.. Meh. But if I ever make it back to church, I can tell you that it won't be for the social aspect (I'm going for myself), although, if friendships blossom I suppose that's different. Why religion makes me happy, or rather believing in God, is that I know I'm not alone in this world and that there's a place for me after this life. That brings me comfort.

I am a social person and while I enjoy the social aspects of church, I can say that it isn't the social culture that makes me go to church, serve or be happy. The Lord has blessed me with a few hard lessons in life to show me why I must go to church, even if I feel as if I'm wearing an Invisibility cloak.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

Great article - I read it top to bottom.

I think it's largely true -- that social relationships tend to drive a certain amount of our happiness. I find that in my quorum that usually social events are well-attended.

I have to confess -- the presence of some really good friends has a huge impact on my desire to go to Church. I can be spiritual and serve people on my own without Church if I want through prayer, meditation, right thinking etcetera -- but at Church, relationships with people who are interested in the same clean-living lifestyle etcetera has a huge impact on my desire to attend. In Wards where I try to start conversations with people and they end up in dead-ends, or go nowhere, I find myself leaving social activities early, bored stiff in meetings etcetera.

One other person on this site quoted a study that for a Ward to thrive, there needs to be at least 3-5 core families -- families that are active, have > 3 children, like to have social activities in their own home. This also lends support to the theory that social interaction on Churches tends to drive satisfaction there.

One person quoted a study a while ago (and I no longer have it, or a source, so chalk it up to hearsay if you are scientifically inclined), and he indicated that in general, people who are not in leadership callings tend to be happier in our Church -- which adds a whole new dimension to Church-related happiness.