What is intelligence?

Mahone

Seems a simple question, but it isn't really. How do you define intelligence? Is it knowledge? memory? The ability to think quickly? The ability to apply knowledge you have to your current environment?

Do you believe IQ tests accurately measure a persons intelligence?

In a lot of my school exams (aged around 16 - so GCSE level) I got the impression that every test could have been passed with flying colours, as long as the student had a brilliant memory, even if they had 0% understanding of the subject.

I have aspergers, which sometimes can give a third party an initial impression of being a bit dim. If you asked me to name all the animals I could think of beginning with the letter B, I'd be stuttering and probably lucky if I could think of two off the top of my head, even though I'm aware of dozens that fall into that category. Yet I could write routing tables into large corporate network routers and set up subnets with my eyes closed.

Can you tell I'm bored tonight? :P

Guest mormonmusic

Intelligence encompasses all the things you mention -- memory, knowledge, application of knowledge etcetera. As a teacher, I never give tests where people have to memorize -- they are tests where people have to apply, synthesize, etcetera.

Now, wisdom, on the other hand, is not intelligence -- wisdom is the ability to use knowledge for the good of others. Satan is wildly intelligent, but he displays no wisdom.

Ugh. I remember GCSE's.. :glare:

I think that there are some kinds of intelligence that are hard, maybe even impossible, to accurately measure or score. I think an autistic savant that is a genuine prodigy in something but otherwise is extremely low cognitively, may be a good example. There's an old movie starring Bruce Willis, about a washed up cop trying to protect a severely autistic boy, who happened to be able to crack government codes etc etc. This boy couldn't talk and only knew how to function by strict routine.

How do you define intelligence? Is it knowledge? memory? The ability to think quickly? The ability to apply knowledge you have to your current environment?

Knowledge and memory are more likened to wisdom, thinking quickly seems more related to reflexes. In my opinion, intelligence is simply about applying your knowledge.

Do you believe IQ tests accurately measure a persons intelligence?

To some extent yes, but you can practice a lot of the type of questions you would see on an IQ test and get rather good at them without being more intelligent as a whole.

In a lot of my school exams (aged around 16 - so GCSE level) I got the impression that every test could have been passed with flying colours, as long as the student had a brilliant memory, even if they had 0% understanding of the subject.

Standardized tests are next to worthless for gaging intelligence, but that's alright because that's not really their purpose. The tests are simply there to ensure that teachers are imprinting the children with textbook material because that's all they're expected to do. For some reason most school systems seem to equate rote memorization to learning.

I have aspergers, which sometimes can give a third party an initial impression of being a bit dim. If you asked me to name all the animals I could think of beginning with the letter B, I'd be stuttering and probably lucky if I could think of two off the top of my head, even though I'm aware of dozens that fall into that category. Yet I could write routing tables into large corporate network routers and set up subnets with my eyes closed.

I often wonder if I have Aspergers or some similar autism spectrum disorder.

Can you tell I'm bored tonight? :P

Definitely :P

Edited by DigitalShadow

IQ tests are meant to measure ones general intelligence. Typically, when someone is highly intelligent in one area, they are highly intelligent in all areas, and IQ tests are designed to measure this "general intelligence". However, many questions on these tests are culturally related. One may not be able to answer a question about Dickens A Tale of Two Cities if they never read it, or about the presidency of Lincoln if they never studied it.

I read a book a few weeks ago on the theory of Multiple Intelligences, which seeks to explain phenomena that do not fall into the IQ general intelligence spectrum. This is to include autistics who are highly intelligent in one area, yet sorely lacking in others. It also explains the "book smart" people who struggle in social settings, as well as those highly charismatic "salesmen" or crafty hands-on learners who couldn't read a book to save their lives. IQ is a great tool for measuring what it was meant to measure- GENERAL intelligence. However, it is limited in its ability to truly explain all the facets of intelligence, as any test is limited.

There are several portions of the brain, each responsible for something different. Everyone is unique in their ability to use these different portions and how to make connections between them. I believe that there is a balance to everything. "Genius" comes with a price. Those who excel in one area are bound to have difficulties in another. The more you use one area of the brain, the more it develops. When other areas are not used, they deteriorate. One can focus on one particular area of intelligence to such a degree that they forget all others, or they can take a more generalized approach and slowly build up every area of the brain.

Some brains are damaged or deformed, making it impossible for an individual to build in particular areas. Their brain then naturally compensates for the lack by increasing the use of the other portions.

I believe we are all equal in our potential for intelligence. It is how we choose to learn that will determine our direction.

I'd be careful about trying to tie IQ to intelligence explicitly. IQ is intended as a measure of a person's ability to learn. Generally, it's about recognizing patterns and applying them into new situations. IQ, however, does little to tell how well a person can translate the ability to learn into an ability to express and communicate what they have learned. Turns out that both aspects are pretty important.

Sometimes I marvel over the relationships between science and theology. Being considered an expert in artificial intelligence I would define intelligence as the ability to adapt. There are two essential elements that are necessary for adaptation. The first is access to information or sensory capability. The second is the ability or capability to make decisions and alter possibilities.

Using this concept of intelligence, LDS theology is wonderful in providing understanding of G-d and our relationship with G-d. There are a number of things that jump out at me in this regard:

1. The essence of who we are and what defines us as something that exist is in its most basic and essential understanding is called intelligence or “the light of truth”.

2. The most important element of salvation or the “Plan of Salvation” is agency or in other words the capability to prioritize and make decisions.

3. That intelligence can grow, progress or increase. This, BTW, is a fundamental violation of second law of thermal dynamics.

4. The glory of that which defines and constitutes what is G-d is intelligence.

The Traveler