Nativities

Wingnut

Do you know the origin of the nativity display?

Many of you know that I live in the Kirtland area. Last week I went out to the visitors' center, where the host an annual nativity display called "Wise Men Still Seek Him." I took a lot of pictures of the nativities. I also found a display explaining the origin of the tradition. I feel inspired to share both the origin and my pictures with you.

One of the most beautiful Christmas traditions is setting up a crèche during the advent season. The Low Latin word cripia, meaning manger, was the origin of the French word crèche, which Americans adopted in the mid 1700's.

The town of Greccio, Italy was where the first manger scene was set up by St. Francis of Assisi, in 1223. Before that time, many churches had built mangers. These mangers, however, were covered in gold and jewels.

St. Francis wanted people to remember that Jesus was born in a humble stable. On Christmas Eve, St. Francis and the people met in a cave. With the help of a farmer friend, they brought in an ox, a donkey, and some hay and acted out the story of Jesus' birth.

Eventually, artists began carving these images into wood or making them out of straw. When the nativity sets moved to other countries, other materials were used, such as stone and ivory.

When the town of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania was settled in the year 1741, the tradition was established in the United States.

The materials today range from paper mache to glass to resin. Many people choose barn like containers or simple rocks or glass. No matter what medium is chosen, it is still a crèche and a wonderful reminder of the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

International nativities

Not international nativities

In Catholic tradition, the manger remains empty until Christmas day, when the baby Jesus is placed on it. I enjoyed that tradition - it gives me the sense of preparation and anticipation.

Unfortunately, the nativity sets in the stores these days have the manger and Jesus all carved as one piece and I don't like not having the manger there at all... So, I have not done that tradition in over 10 years. :(

• 2 months later...

In Catholic tradition, the manger remains empty until Christmas day, when the baby Jesus is placed on it. I enjoyed that tradition - it gives me the sense of preparation and anticipation.

Unfortunately, the nativity sets in the stores these days have the manger and Jesus all carved as one piece and I don't like not having the manger there at all... So, I have not done that tradition in over 10 years. :(

I have the same problem with my manger... so while all the other people move closer to the stable throughout the month of December (they are all over our living room), there are some small stacks of hay covering the manger (with the carved Jesus) and the hay will be removed on Christmas Eve....

so while all the other people move closer to the stable throughout the month of December (they are all over our living room),

OK, that sounds a little strange on one hand, but very interesting on the other. My son's already threatened to commit me to an assisted living facility for some of my 'crazy mama' shenanigans - having statues of people all over the living room, 'walking' slowly toward the nativity scene throughout December (won't that drive him nuts) would only be one more thing. Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. :lol: