New Changes to BoM Chapter Headings

Just_A_Guy

I quickly checked Alma 11 heading where it originally said "The Nephite coinage set forth". This has long been seen as a anachronism as to our best knowledge there were no coin systems used in the Americas at that point. The scriptures never speak of coins but only of measures yet many still attack the book of Mormon for having "coins" in it. This has also been changed online to read "The Nephite monetary system is set forth". Good stuff :)

This is old news. When I first saw the headline I thought, "What? Didn't they just do this a few years back?" As I read the article, I realized that these changes have been around for a while. Back in 2004 the church authorized Doubleday publishers to publish an edition of the Book of Mormon. In the second edition (2006), the headings were updated from the old 1981 versions to better explain the chapters. It caused as much of a stir then, as I recall. So these changes have been around for at least 4 years.

Doubleday Book of Mormon is on the way | Deseret News

Intro change in Book of Mormon spurs discussion | Deseret News

The website changes simply reflect these same changes.

My guess is the church doesn't have the time to stop the presses and make the modifications to their own English edition, and are probably waiting until they update the printing technology to something that will be cost effective. They probably are also reviewing changes to the various multilingual versions as well, so they are mostly in sync. The website was changed because it was a major overhaul of the entire site, and it was the right time to update the online version. I suspect they will get to the official English printed version when they have an equivalent overhaul of their printing facilities. From the story, that may be a few years off, so Pam you won't need to trade your scriptures in for a while.

Edited by bytebear
It was the 2nd edition that had the new headings.

Sorry but the scriptures I purchased less than a year ago still has this:

Deeper into the volume, in Mormon, Chapter 5, the heading changes from calling Lamanites “a dark, filthy, and loathsome people” to “because of their unbelief, the Lamanites will be scattered, and the Spirit will cease to strive with them.”

So obviously these are more modern changes.

I think it has to do with a) softening any passages that might give rise to undue racial animus.

Thanks. Maybe it's me but it makes me uncomfortable to think we make changes based on how we are perceived in the world. I know not everyone agrees with my view but concerns me.

Sorry but the scriptures I purchased less than a year ago still has this:

So obviously these are more modern changes.

Yes, but they are only changed in the Doubleday edition and the online edition. The official print edition hasn't been updated, and no date for new publishing has been set, so you won't find a new print edition published by the church for a while. In other words, the official change was approved in 2007, but it hasn't been rolled out completely yet.

Edited by bytebear

Suzie, are you open to the idea that throughout time, even prophets are products of their time and culture? That they may have said things that were culturally appropriate in their day, but are not acceptable now?

Sure. However, we are talking about a book of scripture here.