Hello there...

just_girl

Just wanted to say hello from the land of Illinois... i'm currently in a relationship with someone who is LDS and have been thinking about converting... i came around to get some of my questions answered (i feel like i bombard the bf with questions too often, though he never seems to mind)...

The bf wants to take me to my first church service himself, and we just haven't had time to coordinate our schedules to make it happen yet. He's also wanting me to wait to go through talking with the missionaries or anyone else until we are living in the same area so we can do everything together... Me? i'm much more anxious and wanting to get started... Holding back just isn't part of my personality usually...

Anyway - there's a bit about me... hopefully i figure this out and become more vocal.

Thanks!

me

Yes... He's currently in Utah and I'm in Illinois - we are planning to wed this summer and move somewhere completely new - perhaps Seattle... Distance is sure not a fun issue to deal with, let me tell ya!! :) I'm quite anxious to get things going now when it comes to converting, but he wants me to be patient... I have ancestors that were LDS and i grew up RLDS (or Community of Christ) so it isn't like I've never been introduced to some of the aspects of being LDS...

I guess time will tell...

Yes... He's currently in Utah and I'm in Illinois - we are planning to wed this summer and move somewhere completely new - perhaps Seattle... Distance is sure not a fun issue to deal with, let me tell ya!! :) I'm quite anxious to get things going now when it comes to converting, but he wants me to be patient... I have ancestors that were LDS and i grew up RLDS (or Community of Christ) so it isn't like I've never been introduced to some of the aspects of being LDS...

I guess time will tell...

Having recently been a Ward Mission Leader I'd like to point out that going by an unofficial survey of new converts from the last few years we had found that most often the new members who stay active are the ones who took over three months but less then a year to join.

All of us must be patient, we have to learn brick by brick, precept upon precept. Now having said all of this I am going to sound like I am flipping my opinion. I would suggest you talk to your BF about you beginning the Missionary Lessons without waiting for him to be available. Being an adult convert, both my wife and I joined together, I can understand why he would want to be there.

You have a level of pressure about conversion that most Investigators do not, your upcoming marriage. If you add into that your LDS BF sitting beside you that pressure is going to make anybody skim the doctrine and not be as willing to question the Missionaries about what you are being taught.

But the more you ponder and question the deeper your understanding and testimony will grow of the church. The church can be a major blessing in preserving marriage but marriage can be a struggle and the more secure your roots are in the gospel the more storms you can with stand. Do not worry about asking questions or not understanding something, it takes years of growth in the church to feel comfortable with the "language" of the gospel.

I have found that most often when an issue happens with an Investigator or New Member it is because of a breakdown in communication. Either something was not explained properly or someone didn't take into account the persons newness in the LDS Gospel or a member by mistake taught the gospel according to them. Any time something seems wrong or it seems like someone is insulting you or snubbing you talk to your BF or the Missionaries about it. When I was WML I had to intercede on average 1 every two months over one of these and in every instance it was a communication issue.

Hello, just_girl! I'm not LDS but would convert if I were convinced.

So what would it take for you to be convinced? That is a curious thought to me... as someone who is constantly trying to seek the will and purpose of God, i think i take a fairly proactive stance when it comes to my faith.

LDSVALLEY:

Thank you so much for your response and council - I want very deseperately to begin the lessons with the missionaries, but the BF is wanting me to wait. Our timing is pretty up in the air right now and he really feels as though waiting to do the lessons is what would be best for our relationship. There are some other factors playing into things, but... we both realize we will have a civil ceremony first and have to wait a time until we are sealed. We have agreed that the path is an okay one, as we are committed to one another, but it is a bit frustrating when i want so desperately to move forward when it comes to issues of religion.

In the same regard, though, i want to respect him as the head of this relationship and trust in his vision of what is going to happen... The ward we are planning on visiting in January when he is here for a visit is not the ward that is closest to where i live (it is in the city and i live about an hour and a half outside of the city) and that concerns me... i understand that it will give me a feeling for what Sacrament Meeting is, but the people i meet will simply have no effect on my walk with Heavenly Father in the future. It kinda seems like a 'what's the point' experience, but, again, i'm trying to trust in what the BF thinks is best - i'm completely new to everything LDS for the most part and he's been around for quite a while and actually used to work for the church... *shrugs*

i've probably said way too much for an introductory thread... and if so, i'm sorry - just replying to something that was said! :)

Hello and welcome to the site. I too am a convert and the gospel has been the biggest blessing in my life. I can understand in a way why your bf wants you to wait, its probably cause he wants to walk this walk with you, its exciting to see some one you care about learn and grow, and Im sure he just wants to be a part of it. Talk to him, let him know u dont want to wait for him, that you want to start learning now, and let him know that you know that he will be around to talk to of what you are learning, and you can share this with him by the net, or phone. Good luck. Hope you had a nice Christmas.

Yeah, that's the reason JG. I have often been thought to be a member and so to avoid confusion I thought I'd tell you. I'm still friendly though. :)

Glad to know you are friendly!! I'd hate to think that someone on here wasn't... that wouldn't make for a good experience at all!!

Roseslipper - I guess what you had to say makes sense. It is just hard to see something you want in front of you and not be able to pursue it...

dear i have been a memer for 37 years i join the church after the wife i were marred she was born in the church the best thing for you to do is go to a ward for a while and talk wit some of them that are your age and find out what they think about the church then pray about it and see if it is the church for you i am glad that i join the church and i was 37 at the time i join and i have not been sorry that i did may the LORD help you make a desision about the church

dear i have been a memer for 37 years i join the church after the wife i were marred she was born in the church the best thing for you to do is go to a ward for a while and talk wit some of them that are your age and find out what they think about the church then pray about it and see if it is the church for you i am glad that i join the church and i was 37 at the time i join and i have not been sorry that i did may the LORD help you make a desision about the church

Thanks for the advice... The BF won't let me go to a ward until i go with him, and even then it wont be the ward closest to where i am so if i do ever go, i'll not know anyone at all. i guess i should just sit patiently and wait until after we get married and then we can go together all the time...

Now I can see where he might not want you to rush into anything for him, but if you want to have the discussions, have the discussions! The worst case scenario would be it doesn't interest you, and it seems that you two plan on being hitched regardless!

Welcome!