Tai chi and Fibromyalgia

zippy_do46

@zippy_do46; I've taught Tai Chi and Chigung (often spelled Taiji and Qigong) for years. Your best bet is Chigung, which translates simply as 'energy work'. It's easier because it doesn't involve learning a complex form of movements, and doesn't require a wide area to move around in while practicing.

One very important point: don't try to learn from videos and books. Really - don't! You can't. It's one of those things that's so simple yet paradoxically very complex, that it just can't be done without a competent teacher. You can also get into bad habits by learning from videos and books, which can seriously affect your health as time goes by.

I'd suggest that when looking for a teacher you choose someone who's genuinely caring, down to earth, and not full of their own self-importance. It can make all the difference.

I research pain coping etc alot and here is a great article on the subject. Also if I waited to learn in person with others I would miss out on alot . So all I have learned is from reading or videos except Zumba but even that is available on video:)

Arthritis | Arthritis Today Magazine | Arthritis Foundation

Study Shows Tai Chi Improves Fibromyalgia

By Brenda Goodman

8/18/10 A new study has found that tai chi, a mind-body practice that combines meditation with gentle, flowing poses, may significantly reduce the spectrum of physical and mental problems associated with fibromyalgia.

The study, published in the August 19, 2010 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine, randomly split 66 people with fibromyalgia into two equal groups. Both groups met twice weekly for 12 weeks. The first group practiced 60 minutes of tai chi with an experienced instructor, while the second group spent 40 minutes in a health education class followed by 20 minutes of stretching.

Researchers measured how well the participants were doing by using the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire, or FIQ, which measures pain, physical functioning, fatigue, morning tiredness, stiffness, depression, anxiety, difficulty at work and overall well-being.

Based on their answers, patients were given a score from 0 to 100, with higher numbers representing worse symptoms.

Though the study was small, the results were dramatic.

After 12 weeks of tai chi, participants’ average scores on the FIQ dropped from 63 to 35, a 28-point decrease. The control group, on the other hand, only saw an improvement of about 9 points, taking their average score from 68 to 59.

And 35 percent of the tai chi participants were able to stop taking their pain medications as compared to 15 percent of the control group.

Previous research has suggested that in order for a treatment to be considered effective for fibromyalgia, it should produce at least a 14 percent improvement in the FIQ.

In this case, the average FIQ score in study participants improved by 44 percent as compared to an average 13 percent improvement in the placebo group.

Researchers aren’t sure how tai chi may be helping, but they suspect that it probably works on many fronts – movement may increase muscle strength, while meditation promotes tranquility, decreasing the stress and anxiety than can amplify pain.

Study author Chenchen Wang, MD, a research rheumatologist at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston, has been studying the effects of tai chi on rheumatic diseases for nearly a decade. She says she was not surprised by the magnitude of improvement many people in the study achieved.

"Patients with chronic rheumatic conditions always have lots of improvements," Dr. Wang says. "Patients send flowers and cards. My office is full of flowers all the time. They just feel that it really changed their lives."

Dr. Wang says study participants were doing Yang-style tai chi, but she thinks that other kinds would work equally well.

"It seems like a well-done study," says Leigh Callahan, PhD, an epidemiologist with the Thurston Arthritis Research Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, who is evalauting the effects of an 8-week program of sun-style tai chi, which is offered as a class and a DVD from the Arthritis Foundation, in 330 people.

"I think it just lends more credence to the fact that physical activity is good for arthritis, and I think the broader the menu we have for people, the better," she adds.

Though her results have not been fully analyzed, Callahan says participants in that study, which is being sponsored by The Arthritis Foundation and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have seen improvements in pain, stiffness, sleep, self-efficacy and balance.

"We're really affirming what they found," she says.

... if I waited to learn in person with others I would miss out on a lot. So all I have learned is from reading or videos except Zumba but even that is available on video.

As you can't be with a teacher regularly, If I can offer any tips or help, I'll be glad to.

As to researchers 'not knowing how it works', it still amazes me that they say that. Any competent teacher can explain and demonstrate exactly why it works. You might like to look up Professor Li Deyin. He did some research work with a Western university, where they used various types of equipment to measure subtle energies while doing Chigung. I can't find the articles right now, but a web search should reveal something on it all (it was at least ten years ago).

Edited by IAmTheWork

Study Shows Tai Chi Improves Fibromyalgia

This is what had me thinking about trying to do this. Right now in my area there is nothing offered. That is the reason I was going to try CD.

Iamthework, thanks for your imput. I do not want to hurt myself. Since you were a teacher of the art you would know.

I will keep working with my water excercises. Thanks again to you both.

I do not want to hurt myself.

Well, you won't do any damage in the short term, so don't let me put you off copying movements from videos. There should be plenty of easy chigung videos on YouTube and such sites. The problems arise if someone learns bad posture and movement, and practices in that way for a long time, ie., months or years.

Also, because many people expect to get 'value for money' when paying for classes, books and videos, they can sometimes be a little over complicated, or feature a lot of things you may not need to know or practice. Many Chinese masters have said that just practising the very basic chigung exercises daily will make one a master in time. I find it true that just the basics done well produce wonderful results in improving health and feeling good.

Guest DeborahC

Just a suggestion:

I was diagnosed with "fibromyalgia" many years ago... and after considering the damage the medication given for fibro was going to do to my body (kidney, liver damage and even DEATH) I decided to take another course.

What I have discovered is that "fibro"' (for me) is what happens when I am exposed to fragrances and particular chemicals. In other words, just like a blister is the response to a burn, fibro is the response to exposure to chemicals.

Over the years I have learned which chemicals (mostly fragrances for me) I react to.

If I can stay completely away from those, I feel 100% fine.

Might I suggest you at least look into this?

Start by taking a CLOSE look at everything you use on and around your body, from body lotions to soaps to perfumes to make up. If it has fragrance in it don't use it for 2 weeks.

I would especially caution you against using fabric softeners with fragrance and FEBREZE, which is highly toxic to people with MCS.

If you feel better after NOT being exposed, this might be a clue to your healing.

Also, yes, Yoga and Tai Chi help because they get the blood moving so the body can get rid of the toxins. Walking also helps, along with any exercise that raises your heart rate.

But the one thing that will help the most is to find and delete the trigger substances.

These can also be foods.

You may want to keep a diary of what you ate, and wore or put on your body before each episode of extreme pain.

I can not eat wheat products in the USA without painful swollen joints and brain fog because they spray the wheat here with Bromine.

In Western Europe, I can eat wheat all day with no problems.

Anyway.. just thought someone might benefit from my experience.

I'm trying to return to Church right now. The perfume makes it almost impossible, but people are beginning to come around... each Sunday is a little easier, it seems, as more people are educated about how their need to wear perfume and/or cologne affects my church attendance... and the attendance of others whom I have spoken with.

@DeborahC; Very good points. I'm allergic to most chemicals and perfumes, as well as food additives. All are hard to get away from completely nowadays, but testing out by removing various things and watching the results over time works well.

Chigung (and Taichi) don't work just due to increased blood flow, by the way, though that's certainly one aspect which results in many benefits. The actual change is in the subtle energy of the person doing the exercise, the strengthening of what some health experts call the bio-magnetic body field. That can become quite a deep and interesting topic, so I won't ramble on unless anyone wants to discuss it further.

I was diagnosed with "fibromyalgia" many years ago... and after considering the damage the medication given for fibro was going to do to my body (kidney, liver damage and even DEATH). . . .

Deborah, would you mind saying what kind of medication you were taking that would do that?

I'm not questioning your decision at all--I am very impressed with what you've done. It's just that if I didn't have meds for my fibro, I wouldn't be able to move, literally, and none of my meds cause any of the damage you cited. I'm concerned someone might read this and worry the meds they also rely on are dangerous, when they might not be the same meds.

Also, I appreciate you said what triggers fibro for you. I just want to make sure others who read this won't think chemicals/fragrances are automatically involved in fibromyalgia. They're not for me, though I know they are a problem for a lot of people with fibro. I actually feel very fortunate that I am not one of them.

If you don't want to say what med you're talking about, I certainly understand. I just don't want someone to read this and get the wrong impression.

Or, if it's something I'm taking, and it is as dangerous as you say, I'd like to know that too.

Elphaba

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I practice Qi Gong for stress, and it does make me feel better. I'm a big believer in Eastern medicine. IAm, I would love to chat further with you on the bio-magnetic field.

Well, we could get into some very protracted discussions here... But if you want to, I'm up for such. It's fascinating, and shows us the tangible nature of the spiritual in such easy ways.

It might be best to call me IATW rather than IAm though - sounds a bit biblical, if you know what I mean! Maybe I should change my nick.

Edited by IAmTheWork

I'm loosing track of posts I'm following right now, and want to watch a cool film on TV soon, so just a brief note.

I love to chat about the subject of the bio-magnetic body field, as it leads so easily into the realm of spirit and what spirit is. (I responded to something regarding word definitions in another thread, where there was mention of various languages and meaning, but can't find the thread now).

Anyway, more later, so fire away with thoughts as you wish.

Deborah, would you mind saying what kind of medication you were taking that would do that?

I'm not questioning your decision at all--I am very impressed with what you've done. It's just that if I didn't have meds for my fibro, I wouldn't be able to move, literally, and none of my meds cause any of the damage you cited. I'm concerned someone might read this and worry the meds they also rely on are dangerous, when they might not be the same meds.

Also, I appreciate you said what triggers fibro for you. I just want to make sure others who read this won't think chemicals/fragrances are automatically involved in fibromyalgia. They're not for me, though I know they are a problem for a lot of people with fibro. I actually feel very fortunate that I am not one of them.

If you don't want to say what med you're talking about, I certainly understand. I just don't want someone to read this and get the wrong impression.

Or, if it's something I'm taking, and it is as dangerous as you say, I'd like to know that too.

Elphaba

I find all this info very interesting. I am one of those people that can not take very many meds due to stomache problems. I work in a book store part-time. It is a small family business and I am able to go with the good days and live with the bad days. I have noticed that when some customer bring their books in and I handle them I get worse over the course of the day. My boss tells me to tie the books up and put the people's name on them and put them in the bathroom and the other girls will take care of them.

What I also think is interesting is as a group of people we have pretty much had to work out our care and pain mangement out. Maybe it is the nature of the problem, but what works for one may not work for another. Also when my doctor first suggested this might be my problem was a time when other doctors did not believe there was such a problem. So I have pretty much hit and missed on what works for me over the years.

I have given up so many things that I love to do. Working in the yard is something I just can not do anymore. Just cleaning my home has become one problem solving problem after another.

Thank you for any info you can give me. I have found that those living with this is a better sourse then some info you get from doctors unless they also have experienced this problem.

Guest DeborahC

Sure. I was first given Celebrex. Here is a link that talks about its side affects.

Celebrex Side Effects - Celebrex Heart Attack

I was rushed to the ER with symptoms of a heart attack.

Then, they gave me Viiox, which also carried a high heart attack risk.

Study Reveals Vioxx Related Heart Attacks Can Occur Within The First Two Weeks Of Use

Then, they wanted me to take antidepressants, at which time I told them to keep their meds and began my own tour of discovery back to health

I worked on an Oncology floor and was privy to many discussions about cancer causing substances, for instance. And one day the "lightbulb" went on when I watched a patient receiving their meds via skin-patch. In other words, their medication was being administered simply by being put on a pad and put on their skin. What people don't consider is that with all the new "nano" technology, there are many dangerous molecules that are (literally) small enough that when you slather a substance on your skin, those chemicals are going THROUGH your pores and straight into your bloodstream. Same thing when you breathe a molecule. If you can smell something, you ARE (literally) ingesting it. Think about that next time someone sprays your space with FEBREZE or you walk down the laundry aisle at the market!

If you're really interested, pick up a book called "The 100 Year Lie" written by an MD who speaks about the chemical cocktails we ingest each day unknowingly.

I'm not questioning your decision at all--I am very impressed with what you've done. It's just that if I didn't have meds for my fibro, I wouldn't be able to move, literally, and none of my meds cause any of the damage you cited. I've been there. There was a time I could not get out of bed without crying. It lasted for years. Last year I walked across Spain - and am looking forward to my 3d trek coming up.

As long as you have carefully researched each drug, and are happy that the side affects are within your acceptance zone, that's your decision. But I would never take another drug that had not been ON THE MARKET for at LEAST ten years because they do not test these drugs on humans. When you TAKE the drug, you ARE the test guinea pig.

I'm concerned someone might read this and worry the meds they also rely on are dangerous, when they might not be the same meds.Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here, because they are ALL dangerous. They are chemicals that you are introducing into your body instead of looking for the cause of your symptoms. I realize not everyone can or wants to do what I did. And each person has to choose for themselves. But in many cases, people just figure it's easier to pop a pill and they don't seriously research what they are doing to their bodies in the long run.

Also, I appreciate you said what triggers fibro for you. I just want to make sure others who read this won't think chemicals/fragrances are automatically involved in fibromyalgia.

I feel I made it clear that fragrances are MY issue and in probably 75% of the people I've talked to who began with a fibro diagnosis, the end result if they're willing to do the research is that they are chemically sensitive to some stimulant or trigger in their environment or in their diet. It can be as simple as a dryer sheet. But I think people are smart enough to know what's best for their own selves.

They're not for me, though I know they are a problem for a lot of people with fibro. I actually feel very fortunate that I am not one of them.

If you don't want to say what med you're talking about, I certainly understand. I just don't want someone to read this and get the wrong impression. No problem. I understand your concern. I have no problem saying which meds I was prescribed.

Or, if it's something I'm taking, and it is as dangerous as you say, I'd like to know that too.Please do careful research, and perhaps consider trying to figure out WHAT your body is responding to. The Lord gave us really smart bodies. They don't just react for no reason. There is some reason your joints are aching and your body is screaming... some factor you haven't discovered yet. I truly believe that.

Elphaba

The little pop up is saying my message is too short, so I'm typing this in the hopes it will post my message. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I only have been checking this board about once a week.

Guest DeborahC

I find all this info very interesting. I am one of those people that can not take very many meds due to stomache problems. I work in a book store part-time. It is a small family business and I am able to go with the good days and live with the bad days. I have noticed that when some customer bring their books in and I handle them I get worse over the course of the day. My boss tells me to tie the books up and put the people's name on them and put them in the bathroom and the other girls will take care of them.

That is very nice of him. You could be reacting to the ink, or it could be mold if they're old books. Or it could be the paper. I know of people who can only read books or work on the computer when the book or computer are entirely enclosed in a case for their protection. Thank God I'm not that bad, although the computer does bother me if I'm on too long, as do most flourescent and mercury filled lightbulbs.

What I also think is interesting is as a group of people we have pretty much had to work out our care and pain mangement out. Maybe it is the nature of the problem, but what works for one may not work for another. Also when my doctor first suggested this might be my problem was a time when other doctors did not believe there was such a problem.

You have to remember that in many cases, the allopaths are TRAINED by the pharma companies. With an environmental disease, you simply cant' treat it with more chemicals. A person has to track down their triggers, just like if they were allergic to strawberries or peanuts. I mean you can give someone drugs to help stop a reaction to strawberries or peanuts, but the more you are exposed, the worse you'll get, until one day, a single peanut could kill you. If you are allergic to peanuts, they tell you to REMOVE PEANUTS from your diet. If you are allergic to wool they say DON"T WEAR WOOL (althoug it's often the chemicals the wool is treated with in my experience). My point is.. they don't just hand you a pill for other environmental issues.. so why do they do it with fibro or MCS?

No.. I guess my REAL point was... you have to find a specialist who is familiar with this condition. Try going to the "Canary Report" website and asking around. Someone there might be able to help you find a doctor in your area who is familiar with MCS. There is also a LOT of great support online if you simply do a Google Search on Multiple Chemical Sensitivities

So I have pretty much hit and missed on what works for me over the years.

I have given up so many things that I love to do. Working in the yard is something I just can not do anymore. Just cleaning my home has become one problem solving problem after another. I so know what you are saying. I have pretty much no social life left. It just has become impossible. Returning to Church may or may not work.. I'm not sure yet. I'm trying but last week I was sick for four days after going. The week before wasn't so bad. If people only knew what they are doing to themselves.

Thank you for any info you can give me. I have found that those living with this is a better sourse then some info you get from doctors unless they also have experienced this problem.

I would definitely start with the Canary website. Other interesting links include the following:

Why Go Perfume-Free to Church? - Accessibility for the Chemically Sensitive.

MCS REFERRAL & RESOURCES

I'm looking for a really great webpage that used to exist that I can't find.

When I find it I'll post it for you.

In the meantime, just google MCS and read read read

Good luck!

Guest DeborahC

Of course, as soon as I posted that, I found it.

This is an interesting page with a lot of good information on it and a lot of links you can explore.

Also, again, I'd highly recommend the Canary support website. The folks there are VERY nice and helpful and you can ask questions and get a lot of opinions from different people... sometimes what works for one person doesn't work for the next... so it's nice to have dfifferent opinions or options.

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity

What I also think is interesting is as a group of people we have pretty much had to work out our care and pain mangement out. Maybe it is the nature of the problem, but what works for one may not work for another. Also when my doctor first suggested this might be my problem was a time when other doctors did not believe there was such a problem. So I have pretty much hit and missed on what works for me over the years.

I have given up so many things that I love to do. Working in the yard is something I just can not do anymore. Just cleaning my home has become one problem solving problem after another.

zippy, I've sent you a PM with some information.

Elph

The little pop up is saying my message is too short, so I'm typing this in the hopes it will post my message. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I only have been checking this board about once a week.

I was able to read your message just fine, and thanks for your clarifications.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear that I realized you were talking about what worked for you. I tried to explain that I did recognize that.

My only concern is that it would be easy to infer that, while you acknowledge your path is what worked for you, you are also saying that those who do take meds are ignorant of what they're doing.

The fact is, there are many people with FM who have researched everything you have, and tried everything you have, with vastly different results from yours. I am one of them, and over the last ten years, I have tried everything, and I do mean everything. I still can't walk across Spain.

For many people with FM, meds mean the difference between a lack of quality of life to a semblance of one. They are not people who just pop a pill because their doctor tells them to. They are people, just like me, who have tried everything, with no success, but who do find relief with the meds.

I'm not saying you're disagreeing with that, exacty. I'm saying it could be inferred that you are.

I'm advocating for those for whom your path has not worked. But I am not criticizing your path--not at all. I'm very happy for you that you've had such success in the face of a crippling syndrome.

Elphaba

Guest DeborahC
Hidden

Elphaba, people who infer will infer what they want to infer, no matter what you or I type.

As easily as they might infer that I am saying do NOT EVER take a pill,

they will just as easily infer that you are saying ALWAYS take a pill.

I've tried to be as clear as I can.

I was simply saying what worked and did not work for me.

Nothing more.. .nothing less.

What do you need from me in order to feel good about this conversation?:confused:

Guest DeborahC

I was able to read your message just fine, and thanks for your clarifications.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear that I realized you were talking about what worked for you. I tried to explain that I did recognize that.

My only concern is that it would be easy to infer that, while you acknowledge your path is what worked for you, you are also saying that those who do take meds are ignorant of what they're doing.

Elphaba, I'm just flabberghasted here. I'm not sure how to respond anymore. I feel like there's a dead horse being beaten, and it's begging for some relief.

So here is the part that confuses me. In one sentence you say that you recognize that I am saying "THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME."

In the very next sentence you imply that I am saying those who take meds are ignorant of what they are doing.

I am NOT saying people who take meds are ignorant.

That is so far from what I am saying.

What I am saying is

"READ about the side affects before you put any drug into your mouth so you are able to make an intelligent decision as to whether or not you feel the benefits to be gained are worth the risks to be given."

That's it.

That's all I'm saying.

The fact is, there are many people with FM who have researched everything you have, and tried everything you have, with vastly different results from yours. I am one of them, and over the last ten years, I have tried everything, and I do mean everything. I still can't walk across Spain.

You are preaching to the choir here. I went for many years unable to get out of bed. You have my complete sympathy. I lived that way until I found the trigger for my pain.

Regarding your remark about walking across Spain -- Walking across Spain was part of my healing process. It allowed my body to move my blood and chelate the heavy metals and other toxins that had accumulated in my bones and organs. I chose that route instead of IV chelation, which has been known to destroy people's liver because it dumps all the toxins on the liver in one go. I never said it was an easy walk.. I cried many days.. .but at the end of 3 months, I was 75% better, due to the walking. It was also cheaper than staying here in the United States where I had no income and no house. Lodging and food is provided at very little cost along the Camino Santiago, a Christian pilgrimage.

For many people with FM, meds mean the difference between a lack of quality of life to a semblance of one. They are not people who just pop a pill because their doctor tells them to. They are people, just like me, who have tried everything, with no success, but who do find relief with the meds. I never implied, nor did I mean to imply any of the above. you are putting words into my mouth.. you are INFERRING because you want to, I can only guess.

I'm not saying you're disagreeing with that, exacty. I'm saying it could be inferred that you are. Elphaba, don't you understand that people who have a habit of inferring will infer no matter what the other person says? People infer that the LDS Temple rituals are demonic because we don't talk about them. To them, our silence infers all sorts of boogies they dream up in their heads.

People infer what people want to infer. People who want to communicate and hear others, do so. You, for instance, are inferring that I'm saying something that I most certainly am not. I feel like you are attacking me, honestly. I have tried to tell you that I am not saying that, but you insist. So really, there's nothing more I can say, except I'm sorry for your pain and you must be having a bad week and I'm sorry if that's the case, but please don't take it out on me?

I'm advocating for those for whom your path has not worked. But I am not criticizing your path--not at all. I'm very happy for you that you've had such success in the face of a crippling syndrome.

And I'm advocating for those for whom my path HAS worked, and giving people a choice. I am not criticizing your path. I'm not sure why discussion about OTHER paths puts you on the defensive, but it appears to. I am all for trying ANYTHING that might work. I lived with my pain and continue to do so. I subsist on less than $8000 per year because of this condition so it is not a hayride for me either.

But IF there are options, why does it bother you to hear about them?

And if you don't want to hear about them, how about letting people decide for themselves?

How are you qualified to advocate any more than I am?

I'm fairly confident that people who have these issues also have the intelligence to make an informed decision?

Elphaba

I hope this has put your mind at ease.

Once again, so as to be clear:

I have no design on whatever makes you happy and whatever works.

I was responding to someone's question about what worked for me.. that's it.... sharing options.

We all must make our own choices. Let us make those choices armed with as much information as possible.

Ok?

You ok now?

Is there anything else you need from me in order to be comfortable with this thread?

I really am not here to argue...

Peace.

:)

Edited by DeborahC

. . . . I feel like you are attacking me,

. . . .

I hope this has put your mind at ease.

Once again, so as to be clear:

I have no design on whatever makes you happy and whatever works.

I was responding to someone's question about what worked for me.. that's it.... sharing options.

We all must make our own choices. Let us make those choices armed with as much information as possible.

Ok?

You ok now?

Is there anything else you need from me in order to be comfortable with this thread?

I really am not here to argue...

Peace.

:)

I purposely took a few days to respond so I could take an honest look at my posts to determine why you feel like I'm attacking you.

The thing is, I can't find it. You are seriously overreacting to what I've written.

I was going to respond to your post point by point, but realize it would be futile, so I'm going to bow out of our discussion now.

To anyone with fibromyalgia, Deborah is absolutely right--you should study the risks of any medication you are thinking of taking. If you conclude it's too risky, or if you find a different method of relief, that is perfectly valid.

However, most people with fibro will not find significant relief from alternative methods. Admittedly, lots of them don't find relief with meds, either, but most do.

Medications go through rigorous testing before they are available to the public. Most of them are very safe, and more importantly, very effective. While they all have side effects, many people with fibro are willing to risk those side effects to get relief from the bone-crushing pain, and have some semblance of their lives back.

My point is, if you, along with your doctor, decide to try the meds, that is an informed choice. There's no reason to think otherwise.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

Guest DeborahC

Perhaps I 'am' over-reacting. It's very difficult for me to get a clear idea of what people are saying without seeing their faces and body language.

At any rate, I apologize for my part in any misunderstanding and hope you won't harbor hard feelings.

Deborah